Builds Continued Adventures of Sweet Brown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
Threads
After beating my current 80 like a red-headed step child I decided to take some of my own advice and instead of putting links and heavy running gear under a truck that's intended to have good highway manners, I bought something wild that someone else had already built, tested and proven. Huge shout out to @NCTrey133 and his amazing build. Looking forward to continued adventures. Original build thread here: Builds - Sweet Brown 80 & Sweet Brown Buggy - Dual Build Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sweet-brown-80-sweet-brown-buggy-dual-build-thread.1056041/

Sweet Brown will be on the way to Bentonville, AR in mid January and then heading to it's permanent home in Seattle once I organize a tow rig and trailer (likely April). Will likely stop in the SW for some wheeling on the way back.

PXL_20221218_214314252.jpg

Original build list:

Engine: Stock 4.5L Inline 6, when I got the 80 I had Asheboro Toyota go through it and revamp anything that looked old & cracked.
  • Did fresh intake
  • PHH Replaced
  • Fresh Radiator & hoses from Lexus
Headgasket blew around 200k miles and we did an engine out rebuild from Auto Machine Shop (decked & bored 20 over with fresh everything) and an EGR delete to keep the heat away from cylinder 6.

Threw fresh motor mounts on it when we did the re-install! Nice touch!

Transfer Case:
  • Marlin 3.12 reduction gears
  • Sumo spool in the Tcase
  • Northwest Fab 2.7:1 doubler installed and functioning! (you’ll be one of, if not the first person with this in the 80 drivetrain in North America)
  • Custom tcase mount & skid + trans skid from Apex Overland that keeps it all happy
Driveshafts:
  • Carrier bearing (needed for the new doubler which pushed everything back 7”) from Scott Trimarco at Scotts Custom Offroad
  • New driveshafts from Olivers driveshaft (Coming!) with double cardans front & rear at the Tcase
Links
  • 3 link front (designed & expertly welded by MarsFab Offroad)
  • 4 link rear (designed & expertly welded by MarsFab Offroad)
  • All aluminum links from Wide Open Design
  • All FK Heims 1.25” (if you know you know)
Front Axle
  • Diamond Axle Fabbed housing 9.5” center section with ARB Air Locker
  • Diamond Chromoly Flanges
  • Branik Chromoly shafts getting sent out for it
  • RCV & Longfield (OG Bobby Longs) chromoly birfs & stub shafts
  • Hellfire Knuckles with High Steer
  • Hydro Assist kit from PSC installed by piedmont performance with fresh hydraulic lines last season
Rear Axle
  • Diamond Axle Fabbed housing 609
  • Curry nodular 35spline center section
  • 35 spline spool
  • Solid Dana60 outer hubs with 35 spline slugs
  • Chromoly RCV 35 spline axle shafts
  • 5th gen 4runner disc brakes (slip on, nothing crazy)
Suspension
  • 14” Radflo Dual Rate Coilovers w/ Remote Resi 2.5” up front
  • 16” Radflo Dual Rate Coilovers w/ Remote Resi 2.5” in rear
  • 2” Radflo Bumpstops 2.5” up front
  • 2” Carbon Bumpstops 2.5” in rear
  • Limit straps front & rear keeping shocks happy
Gas Tank
  • Custom 19 Gallon Stainless fuel cell welded & design by MarsFab Offroad
  • Includes full skid plate
Additional Items:
  • ARB dual compressor on board
  • Red Head Steering Box Ported for Hydro Assist
  • Corbeau suspension seats
  • Snorkel dorkel upgrade
  • Metaltech sliders (have been welded onto the frame and tied into back half)
  • Trailgear front bumper with 10k Superwinch
Tires & Wheels:
  • Battleborn Aluminum 17x9 3.5” BS Beadlocks Qty 5
  • Maxxis 40” Trepadors (DOT) with only 1 season on them, very very little road miles
  • Spare is brand new (Qty 5)
Back Half / Body Chop / Ute Conversion
  • Performed by Apex Overland tieing in the rear of the 80 into the new 2 seater body
  • Still has functioning rear window wiper!!!
  • Body is tied together with 1.75” DOM tubing interior headache bar
  • Rear tube work performed by Apex Overland & 12th State Offroad
  • All 1.75” DOM tubing creating the back half structure
  • Aluminum bed for spare tire

Last edited by a moderator:
PXL_20230806_220954089.jpg

Continued Build:
  • Replaced core support, body mounts and rad mounts
  • Deleted AC compressor and piping which I'm sure I'll regret at some point
  • Reinstalled a washer bottle and fan spray nozzles because I'm bougie like that
  • Moroso breather bottle for NWF Black Box
  • Cage mounted 5lb fire extinguisher with NHRA rated mount
  • Switch Pro and rewired all existing aux circuits
  • Baja Designs light bar on modified mount
  • Factor 55 flatlink and fairlead replacement
  • Milwaukee Packout cooler and gear box
  • Custom ARB twin compressor mount with integrated manifold holder
  • EBC slotted rotors and Blue Stuff pads, front and rear
  • New OEM front wheel hubs w/ ARP studs
  • DC Power Engineering 270A Alternator and Odyssey Performance Series AGM battery
  • OG Bobby longs replaced with Branik CrMo inners and RCV outers.
  • Delta shifter console and center console
  • Twin sticks mounted for more compact black box and TCase shifting
  • JB Custom Fab shift knobs
  • Factory alarm removed and body harness expertly thinned and weather proofed by Vitally
  • Heater core rebuilt, control valve replaced and hoses rerouted
  • New power steering cooler mounted in front of the rad (frame mount was catching rocks)
  • Cab sealed. No more leaks!
  • Factory carpet pulled and replaced with vinyl kit over Heatwave Pro underlayment
  • OEM engine harness
  • New exhaust system - with Borla Y pipe and a muffler for my sanity
  • OEM fuel filter, mounted back in stock location
  • OEM oil level sender
  • Airbags removed
  • Witt's End shifter release
  • DEPO headlights
  • Land Cruiser grills grill w/ LEXUS logo
  • Gearworks LP 10" 3rd member w/ ISF finished 5.29 gears, forged 1350 yoke and seal guard welded on
  • Competition ARB RD99CE air locker
  • New Pinion guard and 3rd member skids
  • OEM distributor

Last edited:
Congrats on a sweet rig!

Thank you for buying this as it was dangerously close and attractive to me.

That’s great rig you bought. Only wheeled with it a couple times but got to look it over and under at Mars and Apex. Stout and capable for sure.

She arrived in Arkansas unscathed. Fit in the garage by a half inch which was an added benefit! I'll be making the haul to Seattle in late April once i have the tow rig and trailer. Going to be hard to resist the temptation to start wrenching before then.

Planning a southern route back and some wheeling in Prescott, AZ with friends.

PXL_20230118_212653682.jpg
PXL_20230118_213014377.jpg
PXL_20230118_224746212.jpg

Congrats on the purchase and I'm dead inside now. I wanted this badly, but the wife told me no more toys. By the time I decided to buy it and just hide it Sweet Brown was already sold. I look forward to seeing your adventures.

Congrats on the purchase and I'm dead inside now. I wanted this badly, but the wife told me no more toys. By the time I decided to buy it and just hide it Sweet Brown was already sold. I look forward to seeing your adventures.
I still haven't figured out where to put it. I have a home in Arkansas and a family home in Seattle. Ultimately the truck will end up in Seattle, but it needed a pit stop in Arkansas while i figure out where it will actually live (no more parking at the Seattle house and no room to add on).

I still haven't figured out where to put it. I have a home in Arkansas and a family home in Seattle. Ultimately the truck will end up in Seattle, but it needed a pit stop in Arkansas while i figure out where it will actually live (no more parking at the Seattle house and no room to add on).
A enclosed car trailer is a good option, allowing you to stealthily store it at storage yard and out of the weather. I know you just bought a trailer 😝

What’s next?

A enclosed car trailer is a good option, allowing you to stealthily store it at storage yard and out of the weather. I know you just bought a trailer 😝
I seriously thought about doing exactly this. Ultimately opted for an open trailer so if i get something bigger, taller, etc the trailer will be fine. Would also have had to go deck over with an enclosed trailer since I'm 83" wide and that would make for a hell of a tall trailer. Not to mention mold in enclosed trailers is an issue in the PNW.

Last edited:
Store it at my property. It'll be fine. I promise.
I couldn't do that to you. It has too many non-toyota parts. You might implode when you looked at it.

Maybe - I'd like to go through it a little before i wheel it. And unfortunately all the tools are in Seattle.
It looks like it'd be a ton of fun out in the Ozarks. I'd imagine you'd probably never reach the full capability of it here though. AFAIK there aren't many hardcore trails in Arkansas.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, and good luck with the build.

Holy crap replacement side mirrors are hard to find. I ordered this hot garbage. What's the bet it'll actually be made to fit a Carola or something.

Ordering parts from Walmart. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Holy crap replacement side mirrors are hard to find. I ordered this hot garbage. What's the best it'll actually be made to fit a Carola or something.

Ordering parts from Walmart. What could go wrong?
Why do you need mirrors on a trail rig that you're towing? Use your makeup case, as I do. #outsidetheboxthinking

Why do you need mirrors on a trail rig that you're towing? Use your makeup case, as I do. #outsidetheboxthinking
Oh, I don't know ... Street legality? :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom