Hand/Parking brake question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding a 1981 FJ40 and reassembling the hand brake, but cannot figure out where one of the handbrake mounts attaches. I have the lever installed correctly as well as the linkage to the rear differential. I have attached a few photos: A - shows the brake cable from the lever, B - shows the cable mount on the differential, and C - shows the mount I that I do not see where it goes. If anyone can post pics that ou wouldn't mind posting that would be very helpful. Cheers - Fred.

Hand Brake Mount between lever and Diff Mount.jpg

B - Hand  Brake Mount on Rear Diff.jpg

A - Cable from brake Lever.jpg

C - Where does this mount.jpg

Have an 82 tub and frame with the rear axle still mounted with springs. This is a 3/82. As I remember the cable attaches to torque tub and skid plate under fuel tank. Are both of those attached?

Have an 82 tub and frame with the rear axle still mounted with springs. This is a 3/82. As I remember the cable attaches to torque tub and skid plate under fuel tank. Are both of those attached?
Thanks for the feedback. I have not yet reinstalled the fuel tank or the skid plate - I was planning on doing that next. Hopefull this will resolve this issue - thanks again. I am not familiar with the torque tub - what is that?

torque tube is the round crossmember

Here is a picture of my 82. Two studs on the side of fuel tank skid plate. Then the torque tube just in front of the fuel tank has a bracket on the underside of the arch towards the center of the vehicle.
PXL_20230130_002759026.jpg

Thanks - this is a great help. I will check it out over the weekend, but I do know the tank skid plate has the holes where your studs are, but I am not sure about the bracket on the torgue tube.

Here is a picture of my 82. Two studs on the side of fuel tank skid plate. Then the torque tube just in front of the fuel tank has a bracket on the underside of the arch towards the center of the vehicle.
View attachment 3233379
I realized the issue with mine is that my FJ40 is a 1981 but I replaced the frame with a 1979 which is supposed to be the same as an '81. However, there was a mid-year change and as a result, I found some nuances that are different - nothing that I have not been able to work around. In this case, the frame does not have the handbrake mount/bracket on the torque tube. I suspect it would be impossible to take a photo of this on yours given the location. Thanks again for your help. Cheers.

I realized the issue with mine is that my FJ40 is a 1981 but I replaced the frame with a 1979 which is supposed to be the same as an '81. However, there was a mid-year change and as a result, I found some nuances that are different - nothing that I have not been able to work around. In this case, the frame does not have the handbrake mount/bracket on the torque tube. I suspect it would be impossible to take a photo of this on yours given the location. Thanks again for your help. Cheers.

Think that is minor to the lack of fixed nuts to bolt the crossmember L brackets. Can take the bracket for the hand bracket cable from the old frame and weld it on the earlier 79 torque tube. On the 8/80+ it's a round hole just in front of the fixed nuts on the frame. Earlier it's a larger oval hole. Where a couple bolts should go have an empty space. I have a 3/79 FJ40 and a 3/82 tub frame. Thinking of bringing the later frame/tub back to life as the 82 it is.

Few pictures of the bracket.
PXL_20230226_230451489.jpg
PXL_20230226_230457924.jpg
PXL_20230226_230502444.jpg

Right side of the 3/82 frame for the L bracket.
PXL_20230226_230652220.jpg

Right side of the 3/79 frame where the L bracket would go.
IMG_20180811_153607308.jpg

Picture is going on five years ago. May be metal but not much meat around the oval hole to feel comfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom