Adding heater shut off valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I want to add this heater core shut off valve for my 11/71. The original F motor had a manual shutoff valve on the driver's side head. I now have a 2F from an 87' 60s.
I want to have the knob pull shutoff valve seen below from Genuine OEM NipponDenso TOYOTA Land Cruiser Valve Assy. Heater Water Control Install KIT Fits: 9/73-10/85 FJ40 FJ45 FJ43 ( Includes OEM Clamps , Mounting Hardware and Rubber Hose Too ! ) - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/products/genuine-oem-nippondenso-toyoa-land-cruiser-valve-assy-heater-water-control-install-kit?_pos=4&_sid=6b4a50794&_ss=r

Here's my question, does adding this shutoff valve prevent coolant from flowing to certain parts of the motor? It makes more sense there should be a bypass line so coolant can still travel through the same direction and allow flow across the whole motor. Is this concern valid?
Or can I just retro fit this with no problems. Thanks

Screenshot_20230129-131114~2.png

You will need the OEM part 16577-61040 - pipe between the lower radiator outlet hose and the water pump inlet hose, see post #16 here:

1630030621563-png.2770082

But you need to be sure your water pump has the inlet for the heater line hose, see post #3 here:

Last edited:
See GA Architect's post---with this there will be no diversion of coolant other than to the heater when you open the valve9i think I have the flows correct?

heater rail installed.jpg

Last edited:
You will need the OEM part 16577-61040 - pipe between the lower radiator outlet hose and the water pump inlet hose, see post #16 here:

1630030621563-png.2770082

But you need to be sure your water pump has the inlet for the heater line hose, see post #3 here:
Correct water pump? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/correct-water-pump.1252687/#post-13853862
Also yes, I have the double outlet water pump but that goes to the oil cooler

See GA Architect's post---with this there will be no diversion of coolant other than to the heater when you open the valve9i think I have the flows correct?

View attachment 3233583
Actually, just the opposite.

Hot coolant flows out of the top of the head, under pressure from the water pump, and returns to the suction of the water pump through the lower radiator hose.

Hello, I want to add this heater core shut off valve for my 11/71. The original F motor had a manual shutoff valve on the driver's side head. I now have a 2F from an 87' 60s.
I want to have the knob pull shutoff valve seen below from Genuine OEM NipponDenso TOYOTA Land Cruiser Valve Assy. Heater Water Control Install KIT Fits: 9/73-10/85 FJ40 FJ45 FJ43 ( Includes OEM Clamps , Mounting Hardware and Rubber Hose Too ! ) - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/products/genuine-oem-nippondenso-toyoa-land-cruiser-valve-assy-heater-water-control-install-kit?_pos=4&_sid=6b4a50794&_ss=r

Here's my question, does adding this shutoff valve prevent coolant from flowing to certain parts of the motor? It makes more sense there should be a bypass line so coolant can still travel through the same direction and allow flow across the whole motor. Is this concern valid?
Or can I just retro fit this with no problems. Thanks

View attachment 3232990

If you don't have the coolant joint, here is a part you need for the heater line coming off the head....Toyota 87251-30200 coolant joint. The heater hose off this joint goes up and over the valve cover to the shut-off valve.

IMG_4072.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_4120.jpg

Note, this isn't the only type coolant joint for this location. But it is still available and the joint I have on mine.

If you don't have the coolant joint, here is a part you need for the heater line coming off the head....Toyota 87251-30200 coolant joint. The heater hose off this joint goes up and over the valve cover to the shut-off valve.

View attachment 3233733...View attachment 3233734..View attachment 3233739
Note, this isn't the only type coolant joint for this location. But it is still available and the joint I have on mine.
Yep the other side of my heater core is connected there. Sounds like there shouldn't be any issue adding this style of shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom