Troopy wiper motor "park" repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm attempting to repair the wiper motor from my (24v) HZJ75 Troopy. I THINK the problem will be under the white plastic ring that hides the electrical contacts. That ring is held on with a very small star/split washer. I tried prying the ring off but I don't want to break it. Any suggestions on how to remove that little bugger?

If I can't fix this I'd go with a new replacement (Toyota discontinued part# 85110-60211) but those I have found out there are expensive. Are there alternatives?

PXL_20230128_215907316.jpeg

Anything seem the same between 12v and 24v?

The answer is no: unless you run the 12v iteration on a voltage reducer.
Which is exactly what I meant. Is there a 12 volt wiper motor that is still available that will work in that application using a converter from 24 volts?

I'll bet you even know the part number!

So... I'll chalk this one up to PO (previous owner) shenaganins...

I got the plastic disk off (Dremel to the rescue), cleaned and lubed everything and put it all back together... no joy. Still no park.

Upon closer inspection I discovered a cut (not broken) wire on the harness side of the plug for the wiper motor. (I should probably have tested wiring first)

I soldered up the wire, shrink tubed it and... (with the wiper arms raised to avoid running the wipers on the dry windshield - it's a brand new one!) I ran them and... IT PARKS.... On intermittent it does one cycle and stops in the same place every time! Running on low or high and turning it off it returns to the same place! SWEET!

I lowered the hood and the arms to check everything again and.... DOH... the Park position is mid windshield... NOT at the bottom. UGH.
Ok, I'll just pull the arms and remount them at the bottom position and I'll be golden.... right? WRONG. Turns out the first movement of the arms is down(!)... so with the arms remounted at the bottom the first movement is to try to wipe the hood! Ugh.

Ok, so long story a little longer;... I pulled the lever arm from the motor, rotated it and reinstalled a few times until the first movement was up.

WTF did the PO do? I speculate that they swapped in a new wiper motor and when they reinstalled the lever arm to the motor they got it on wrong, resulting in the arms not cycling or parking properly. Instead of fixing the problem they just cut the park wire and from then on they shut off the wipers at the bottom manually - I can't imagine why they thought this was the best solution.

IN ANY CASE - I now have it fixed with wipers that park as they should.

I know it doesn’t help now but those star washers can be removed but it takes patience. Toyota uses them on some parts of the interior cargo panels to hold the grill vents on.

I just slowly use a pick to bend up each flap and it will come off.

Glad you got it fixed. The wiper- or the blower-motos to fail is a permanent fear to me. For educational purposes:
Did you get any shots of the interior of the wiper motor? What would be a common fault and fix on the wiper motor?
Thanks Best regards Ralf

I did not take the motor itself apart. I did take off the plastic disc that is half of me electrical contacts for the park but didn't take any pictures. It's just flat metal on the back side of the plastic disc and spring steel contacts on the other side. I cleaned it all up bent up the metal contacts a little and put it all back together with some dielectric grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom