ls swap drive shaft offset ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, Im in the process of swapping a 5.3 and a 4l80 into a 94 LC, for the people that have done it did you offset the engine in the frame to align the drive shafts or center the engine and run the drive shafts at a offset ?

Hi everyone, Im in the process of swapping a 5.3 and a 4l80 into a 94 LC, for the people that have done it did you offset the engine in the frame to align the drive shafts or center the engine and run the drive shafts at a offset ?
Are you not using the factory transfer case? It offsets the drivelines to the correct alignment assuming you keep it relative position between the frame rails the same.

That's what I was thinking too; I would have thought you would use a transfer case to transmission adaptor.

That's what I was thinking too; I would have thought you would use a transfer case to transmission adaptor.
Yes. Trying to use any other transfer case is going to create all kinds of headaches. Unless you plan to swap axles too you should stick with the factory case.

FWIW you can run your driveshafts at an angle. It's more complicated to set up though and will bind easier under flex. Not really recommended if you can avoid it.

yes running the stock transfer case with a marks 4wd adapter, if I use the factory crossmember and center the engine in the frame rails it seems to put the drive shafts to passenger side of the vehicle at a angle , if I push the engine towards the driverside frame rail about a 1" it aligns the drive shafts

yes running the stock transfer case with a marks 4wd adapter, if I use the factory crossmember and center the engine in the frame rails it seems to put the drive shafts to passenger side of the vehicle at a angle , if I push the engine towards the driverside frame rail about a 1" it aligns the drive shafts
This is a common approach

Only one inch? Just run it, unless you have other clearance issues at the engine. Most might want to go measure their difference and realize that they are probabl farther off than that.

The engine, transmission, and transfer case must be exactly parallel in the frame rails. If it's offset to the left or right that is fine, but it must be parallel. If you move the engine 1" to the left for example, then the transfer case must be moved 1" to the left as well. As far as engine height, ideally you want the engine, transmission, and transfer case to be to be at the vertical angle it was with the original engine. All of these details are important so you don't have vibrations at speed. However since the front driveshaft is a broken back high pinion setup, some adjustment of the angle may be necessary so that the pinion angle to tcase flange angles meet properly. Information on the high pinion setup up front is difficult to find.
Thanks everyone ill just run it how it is and see what happens

For anyone else, my motor mount kit 100% handles this issue correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom