Finally found matching tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully providing helpfull information with this post vs just always asking questions. The local stereo/tint shop told me he thought he could match the factory tint on my 97 FZJ80. Just had him peal off the terrible tint on my front windows and apply Solar FX 35% He was right its almost a perfect match to our factory tint As i knew there are numerous tint related threads and questions on matching our factory tint, i wanted to provide this info Looks good and i'm more than happy with the match

CCC5C8C1-0F25-4697-A8EA-5C402E6B4B88.jpeg

I wasn't aware the front windows had factory tint. None of mine do.

I wasn't aware the front windows had factory tint. None of mine do.
The front ones don't have factory tint.

It's that tinting the front windows rarely match the other windows on the truck. Usually it ends up with a gray or yellow look to the front windows instead of the sort of mirrored finish of the others.

My truck had the front windows tinted when I got it and the first thing I did was to remove it.

Hopefully providing helpfull information with this post vs just always asking questions. The local stereo/tint shop told me he thought he could match the factory tint on my 97 FZJ80. Just had him peal off the terrible tint on my front windows and apply Solar FX 35% He was right its almost a perfect match to our factory tint As i knew there are numerous tint related threads and questions on matching our factory tint, i wanted to provide this info Looks good and i'm more than happy with the match

View attachment 3230224
Do you have a few pics from further back so we can see the whole truck from the side?

This is great.
Any chance you know the series of window film used? Solar FX is a company with 9 different types of film that all have a 35% option. I am guessing it isn't just the "Classic Series".

Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice but that isn’t a match when you get it in that perfect light. It’s so dang hard to do.

A while back someone had found the same stuff Toyota used and got the last roll of it sent to them and sold cuts of it until it was gone. Since then I haven’t seen anyone quite match that Cruiser cloudy metallic silver.

I probably sound like a dick above, but I really do think it looks awesome. If you could give him a call that would be sweet, I’m sure some of us will follow with the Solar FX 35%. Perfect % for still being able to see at night.
Cheers

Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice but that isn’t a match when you get it in that perfect light. It’s so dang hard to do.

A while back someone had found the same stuff Toyota used and got the last roll of it sent to them and sold cuts of it until it was gone. Since then I haven’t seen anyone quite match that Cruiser cloudy metallic silver.

I probably sound like a dick above, but I really do think it looks awesome. If you could give him a call that would be sweet, I’m sure some of us will follow with the Solar FX 35%. Perfect % for still being able to see at night.
Cheers
The Toyota tint is in the glass, not applied via a film etc.

Here was my Previous attempt too reflective from inside the cab and couldn't see out at night Just got back from a cafe run and night visability is great!

32AAEA83-22AA-47E9-A256-F7CB2BFB3D30.jpeg

The Toyota tint is in the glass, not applied via a film etc.

Ah you’re right.
I think someone had found a basically perfect matching tint, but it had been discontinued so they bought some of the last of it out there and sold it to MUDers.
Here was my Previous attempt too reflective from inside the cab and couldn't see out at night Just got back from a cafe run and night visability is great!

View attachment 3230492
yes, much better this time. I really like the look of the 35%, I will probably do the same. I have accepted a perfect match won’t happen.

Yeah, I'm very happy with it. I will go by the shop and get the film series number and post it.

just to clarify, you had the solar fx brand 35% film applied to the 2 front door windows only? and you are going to confirm which product line was used by your installer?

Correct. I wanted to use 35& in order to see at night on some of the fire roads I drive. Not to mention safety on the street.

I don't know about you guys, but I tint for looks/privacy and heat rejection especially for many of us who live in the 4th largest economy in the world (Republic of CA).

This is what's protecting my 80 - it keeps the interior cooler/safer for occupants than without.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 4.25.06 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom