DUI HEI installation instructions ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have the instructions for installing a DUI HEI distributor? I was given a DUI dizzy, but not the instructions.

Here is what they state----- If you are installing a DUI distributor into an engine that has an ignition system presently, then this simple procedure will have your engine running in no time. On the old distributor, remove the distributor cap and the vacuum advance hose. Note the position of the rotor. We suggest cranking the engine over until the rotor faces the firewall and mark it with chalk. Remove the distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. Pull the distributor up and out of the engine noting the postion of the rotor as the distributor clears the engine. With the cap off of the new DUI distributor, position the rotor to where it was when the distributor was just removed from the engine. Slide the distributor down into the engine. Be sure the rotor turns back to the original position (mark on firewall). If the oil pump drive does not engage, check that the rotor is pointing in the correct direction. If not, repeat the installation procedure. If it still doesn't engage, bump the engine over until the distributor drive drops into the oil pump drive. Reinstall the hold-down clamp and bolt finger tight. Install the distributor cap and transfer the plug wires. It is recommended to open the plug gaps up to .055" and this would be a good time to change them.
We recommend setting your initial timing at 12 degrees BTDC while the engine is idleing very slow (+ or - 600 RPM) and with the vacuum advance disconnected and the vacuum hose plugged

If the above doesn't work for you?? let me know I have a better solution...

Thanks for the info grant. I still have one problem though........
my cruiser doesn't have a points dizzy in it for me to mark before I take it out. I'm starting from scratch. Any suggestions??

Bring the #1 cylinder to top dead center (timing mark on flywheel). Use a long flat head screwdriver to rotate the slot in the oil pump so that it points toward the #4 spark plug. With the cap off and the rotor installed , point the rotor a little bit ahead of the # 3 hole and slide it in. As it goes in you need to rotate the rotor toward the #4 hole(helically cut cam gear) .If the distributor seats all the way down then you probably got it in the correct position. With the DUI dizzy you may have to remove the brass coolant tube from the side of the block, It may cause interference with the distributor. You can just replace it with a piece of regular rubber heater hose and run it outside the dizzy shaft. A good place to start with the position of the cap is the plugs for the battery and the tach should point away from the side of the block toward where the stock coil used to be. Good luck .Hope this helps. Oh BTW I'd make sure you have oil pressure by turning the engine over without power to the coil .If you don't ,then you don't have it seated properly.

my version of the DUI instructions is........don't install unless you want a new motor :D

my version of the DUI instructions is........don't install unless you want a new motor :D

"don't install unless you want a new motor" Clearly someone who has very little knowledge and experience with a DUI HEI dissy.

or replied to by someone with no sense of humor ;)

correct I don't......and never will, I think if you search you will find plenty of folks having issues of some sort using the DUI.......but to each his won

but really.......why install a DUI....Toyota fj60 works just great and can work in any F/2f motor

"don't install unless you want a new motor" Clearly someone who has very little knowledge and experience with a DUI HEI dissy.

or replied to by someone with no sense of humor ;)

correct I don't......and never will, I think if you search you will find plenty of folks having issues of some sort using the DUI.......but to each his won

but really.......why install a DUI....Toyota fj60 works just great and can work in any F/2f motor

And how many forum members look at your statement and all the vehicles you've owned and do not see your humor but assume you know what you're talking about. The vast majority of issues with HEI ignitions have to do with people using ones that have the wrong gear (not DUI) and have an advance curve for another vehicle (also not DUI). Out of the box a DUI HEI has been plug and play in my vehicle for over 4 years with no issues. I won't bother going into the availability and cost of replacement parts vs. an FJ60 dissy.

And how many forum members look at your statement and all the vehicles you've owned and do not see your humor but assume you know what you're talking about. The vast majority of issues with HEI ignitions have to do with people using ones that have the wrong gear (not DUI) and have an advance curve for another vehicle (also not DUI). Out of the box a DUI HEI has been plug and play in my vehicle for over 4 years with no issues. I won't bother going into the availability and cost of replacement parts vs. an FJ60 dissy.

You're quite INCORRECT. Man-A-Fre has worked with DUI to correct the situation which arose when members installed DUI distributors purchased from them and supplied with an incorrect, non-Toyota gear after a host of complaints.

It can be assumed if you like that DUI distributors sold by Man-A-Fre come with a Toyota gear correct for the Toyota 2F and 3F engine, but it could be very unwise to assume that such distributor purchased from a supplier other than Man-A-Fre has that gear installed.

maybe I do know something? what makes you think you know it all?

just because you lucky doesnt mean everyone will be or has been

how many problems have you seen with FJ60 electonic ignition? do they fall apart and take out the motor(no oil presure)..........I think not.

still trying to figure out the possible reason to use HEI/DUI over Toyota?

cost? give me a break! are toyota caps and rotors that expensive? no. are used Fj60 dizzies expensive? no

I'd ask someone like Jim C for his thoughts on Toyota vrs HEI/DUI (I don't know his opinion BTW)

done here........enjoy your DUI.

Last edited:
I was a believer in the 60 & the smaller electronic dizzys for years.. but here lately I'm seeing a lot of them fail.. mostly due to " pickup coil melt down" the cause? improper cap ventilation.. some shops or owners themselves are de-smogging,changing carbs and or air cleaners... some plug the vent holes in the dizzy cap causing HC from the crankcase to linger thus melting the pickup coil..or leaving the holes open inviting moisture to enter and rusting the weights, springs,signal rotor and vacuum advance movement mechanisms.. all of the above is $$$$ to repair,plus it could and does happen again... So one solution to the weak points of the yota dizzy.. is the DUI.. Crankcase HCs have no effect on the internals of the DUI... I have run one for 5+ years with no ill side effects and have encouraged all with yota problems to make the change... so far it has been 100% in favor... there must be at least 18 in my area within the last 2 years...

I was a believer in the 60 & the smaller electronic dizzys for years.. but here lately I'm seeing a lot of them fail.. mostly due to " pickup coil melt down" the cause? improper cap ventilation.. some shops or owners themselves are de-smogging,changing carbs and or air cleaners... some plug the vent holes in the dizzy cap causing HC from the crankcase to linger thus melting the pickup coil..or leaving the holes open inviting moisture to enter and rusting the weights, springs,signal rotor and vacuum advance movement mechanisms.. all of the above is $$$$ to repair,plus it could and does happen again... So one solution to the weak points of the yota dizzy.. is the DUI.. Crankcase HCs have no effect on the internals of the DUI... I have run one for 5+ years with no ill side effects and have encouraged all with yota problems to make the change... so far it has been 100% in favor... there must be at least 18 in my area within the last 2 years...

I have no answer to this dilemma....have run a home-brewed HEI with Toyota gear on my '74 F and it ran great with no problems. But when I installed a newerized 2F with $1400-1600 worth of parts and machine work, I installed the "Big Cap" and think the performance is at least as good as the HEI. More anecdotal info;)
Sure don't understand how crankcase fumes would be more destructive to a non-vented big-cap than any other non-vented Toyo diz, but I'm willing to learn:)
Many folks on this board have done many, many things differently than have I, but it is hard to hate or disparage them for it. If my ego gets bruised, I just stroke it a few more times.................that seems to help.:D

Ed

After seeing these pickups fail, I had the feeling the HCs were the problem..but a couple of weeks ago I read a post that JimC stated it was in the chemical compound makeup of these parts that HCs turned them into a jelly like substance..then I ask him if new replacements were better? he said no. I had ask my local dealer if they had any knowledge about this problem? He just drew a blank face and started sweating bullets...

After seeing these pickups fail, I had the feeling the HCs were the problem..but a couple of weeks ago I read a post that JimC stated it was in the chemical compound makeup of these parts that HCs turned them into a jelly like substance..then I ask him if new replacements were better? he said no. I had ask my local dealer if they had any knowledge about this problem? He just drew a blank face and started sweating bullets...

OK, like I said, always willing to learn:D Makes sense. Thanks.

Ed

I'll go hook up the vents!

so you think that it is a matter to do with the distributor having a bout of the vapors?

I've heard of the vapors....

I've got a correct-geared HEI in my 2F and I love it. I've got the recurve kit and I've dialed in to something that works very well for me.

Unfortunately, I have to remove it for smog. So if anyone wants it, make me an offer. I am NOT looking forward to points again.

The reason I went HEI over Toyota was partially cost and partially accesories. I can go into any catalog and get stuff that will build up an insane HEI. If I were to do it again (and it would be legal), I honestly don't know which I'd choose.

I've got a correct-geared HEI in my 2F and I love it. I've got the recurve kit and I've dialed in to something that works very well for me.

Unfortunately, I have to remove it for smog. So if anyone wants it, make me an offer. I am NOT looking forward to points again.

The reason I went HEI over Toyota was partially cost and partially accesories. I can go into any catalog and get stuff that will build up an insane HEI. If I were to do it again (and it would be legal), I honestly don't know which I'd choose.

Why do you have to remove it for smog? I have to go through yearly emission testing that also has a hardware visiual inspection and they have no issues with the DUI HEI dissy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom