Seeking Advice on Re-Gearing Differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've raised my 2002 100 series, added bigger tires, a front and rear bumper, rock sliders, a roof rack, lights, etc. Now my truck is bigger and heavier than it was when it came off the assembly line, and I've lost acceleration. Yea..... That's me crawling up Vale Pass in the right lane with the RVs and overloaded semis.

I'm hoping I can get some recommendations for a shop that has a lot of experience in re-gearing cruisers. I live in Conifer, so maybe a shop in the Denver or Colorado Springs area?

Thank you in advance for your help. I really want to take my cruiser to someone that I can trust to do an excellent job. Sincerely, Michael

It might be good to say up front that I am not a mechanic. I read the information here about visiting websites where I could size my gears based on tire size and weight added. I know that's how the pros do it, but I haven't got a clue. I'm a retired firefighter and a carpenter. So if you want to talk timber standards or how to keep your house in the woods safe from wildfires, I'm your guy. But if beating on it with a hammer doesn't fix the problem, I'm out. This is why I'm hoping to get a recommendation for a trusted shop. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

there are quite a few on here that will know exactly what you need, where to get it and why , just start a thread about your specific situation, or ask right here, and let the people in the know direct you.
do you know what gears you have?
a search on google with the ih8mud tag after seems to yield better results for me than the search on here.

Just a wild guess here but you may have 4.10's so you'd probably want to go to 4.56 or 4.88 depending on tire size

for instance my 70 series had 3.73 originally, previous owner went to 33" tires and 4.10's, i went to 35" tires and am going to 4.56's
different vehicles and engines will need a bit different gearing

You have 4.30 in the diffs now - 98-02 were 4.30. When the 5 speed transmission came out in 2003 - the diff gears changed t o4.10

Recommendation and only option is 4.88s in the diffs.
You can also do 10% underdrive gears inthe Transfer case and do a 3:1 4 Low reduction at the same time. - 4.88s are more worth your money but begs the question do i add a front locker at this time?

there are quite a few on here that will know exactly what you need, where to get it and why , just start a thread about your specific situation, or ask right here, and let the people in the know direct you.
do you know what gears you have?
a search on google with the ih8mud tag after seems to yield better results for me than the search on here.

Just a wild guess here but you may have 4.10's so you'd probably want to go to 4.56 or 4.88 depending on tire size

for instance my 70 series had 3.73 originally, previous owner went to 33" tires and 4.10's, i went to 35" tires and am going to 4.56's
different vehicles and engines will need a bit different gearing
Thank you!

You have 4.30 in the diffs now - 98-02 were 4.30. When the 5 speed transmission came out in 2003 - the diff gears changed t o4.10

Recommendation and only option is 4.88s in the diffs.
You can also do 10% underdrive gears inthe Transfer case and do a 3:1 4 Low reduction at the same time. - 4.88s are more worth your money but begs the question do i add a front locker at this time?
Thank you for the information. I have been told adding a front locker while I'm at it makes good sense. It would be more expensive to do as a stand-alone project.

@mdavis0735 Slee is in Golden and they are one of the Best LC shops in the world.

They are: LT 285/75 R16 126/123R
If this is as big as youll go, id recommend the 10% underdrive gears from Cruiser Outfitters ( cruiserteq.com ) for the transfer case ~ this would net you a 4.72 ratio and may be cheaper than opening both diffs.....

If this is as big as youll go, id recommend the 10% underdrive gears from Cruiser Outfitters ( cruiserteq.com ) for the transfer case ~ this would net you a 4.72 ratio and may be cheaper than opening both diffs.....
I agree 👆🏽 The use of 285/75r16 tires does not warrant the comparatively exorbitant costs of regearing the diffs. Have a shop dump high and low range underdrive gears in the t-case and call it a day. @cruiseroutfit is the go-to for the t-case gears.

there you go!
smarter minds and such

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock the T-Case high range and low range gears (read all about on Mud here) as well as low range t-case options. Should gears make more sense for your build, we stock all of those gears and associated parts too! info@cruiseroutfitters.com | 801-563-1277

i recently got tcase gears from cruiser outfitters... dont go anywhere else
thanks btw kurt

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock the T-Case high range and low range gears (read all about on Mud here) as well as low range t-case options. Should gears make more sense for your build, we stock all of those gears and associated parts too! info@cruiseroutfitters.com | 801-563-1277
I'm sure you guys are the best, but I'm in Colorado. It would be an 8-hour drive just to get my cruiser to you. :O(

I'm sure you guys are the best, but I'm in Colorado. It would be an 8-hour drive just to get my cruiser to you. :O(

95%+ of our business is parts sales. We stock and ship hundreds of parts each day to DIY customers, shops & installers and wholesale customers. If you’ve got a local shop you trust, we can assist with the parts. These are not parts a typical 4x4 shop or auto repair facility has in their parts supply channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom