What do you think this one owner 1970 Toyota Land Cruiser is worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate the thought of a nice 40 like this being used for a crappy youtube show. 😒

Since we know some of the back story and that it supposedly runs and drives, I guess we'll see just how fake his videos are.

10k you're giving it away. 20k you found yourself an uneducated buyer with $ to burn. Charge the youtuber double!

A lot of things were painted over … black bumper and bumperettes should be pewter colored

Rear hatch replaced

Carb wrong

The clutch master was replaced and line spliced to get the new one on with compression fitting

Brake master replaced as well

Oil lines look like they were replaced with braided lines

Upper radiator hose replaced

Radiator cap replaced

Front seats reupholstered at some point … early 80’s I’d say

It needs a lot of work … as stated on previous post well over 10k

It’s say it’s a 10-12k truck as is

Not nit picking … just pointing out what’s not original … it is still a NICE truck

Just not 100% original

A lot is maintenance stuff that would need to have been done when a truck is driven

All of which would have been replaced anyway by somebody doing a restoration on it

Question… does it still have the tool roll ? Jack …, jack handles … that type stuff in the tool box under the drivers seat?

An original good condition tool roll would bring 500-1000 depending on condition

Good luck with the sale … I can tell he did care for the truck and maintained it … I hope to see it have justice done to it

I’d even keep the front seats upholstered that way if they are in great shape as a nod to the original owner

Again good luck with the sale
Thanks for pointing that stuff out. I will look for the tool box when I go down there tomorrow.

I will be interested in what this truck actually sells for. I am getting the feeling I am undervaluing mine. So be sure to let us know the sale price!

When I bought my 70 back in 2011 I insured it with Hagerty for a stated value of $20K. They had no problem with the detailed pictures I provided. No appraisal was required. Thinking that may be low today.

I want to amend some of my thoughts and reaffirm others.
Reaffirm: not a 1 owner truck. Original owner passed and it got handed down: now at least 2 owners, but I digress.

I don’t believe it hasn’t rolled over past 100k miles. Unless left at the cabin, cars from the 60’s and 70’s were mostly the primarily means of transportation and driven: not everyone had pleasure cars. I’d need to see tons of documents to prove it’s not over 100k miles. An oil receipt from the 90’s isn’t enough. (My 1970 has documentation back to NEW to prove that 38k miles was 138k, and it’s in very similar shape and parked in 1992).

My amended thoughts (maybe pending better pics).
If I were in the market for a survivor rig, I’d be looking at this one up to $12-15k. I’d be hoping $7-10 but not walking away at that. I’d even fly to GA from WA at those prices to look (it runs and drives?… ROAD TRIP BACK!!!).

All that said, I have no idea who zip tie garage is but if they are YouTube famous, $20k is too cheap. They will make a years wages+ no matter what you sell it for. Maybe I don’t know enough about the person, but anyone “known” on you YouTube, instagram, etc. can pay a premium (and likely will if what they are buying is in good enough shape to make them look even better). Not saying you need to sell it to a purist for less because get, cash talks. But an “influencer” can afford the premium others can’t/ won’t.

Good luck regardless and looking forward to more pics!

I want to amend some of my thoughts and reaffirm others.
Reaffirm: not a 1 owner truck. Original owner passed and it got handed down: now at least 2 owners, but I digress.

I don’t believe it hasn’t rolled over past 100k miles. Unless left at the cabin, cars from the 60’s and 70’s were mostly the primarily means of transportation and driven: not everyone had pleasure cars. I’d need to see tons of documents to prove it’s not over 100k miles. An oil receipt from the 90’s isn’t enough. (My 1970 has documentation back to NEW to prove that 38k miles was 138k, and it’s in very similar shape and parked in 1992).

My amended thoughts (maybe pending better pics).
If I were in the market for a survivor rig, I’d be looking at this one up to $12-15k. I’d be hoping $7-10 but not walking away at that. I’d even fly to GA from WA at those prices to look (it runs and drives?… ROAD TRIP BACK!!!).

All that said, I have no idea who zip tie garage is but if they are YouTube famous, $20k is too cheap. They will make a years wages+ no matter what you sell it for. Maybe I don’t know enough about the person, but anyone “known” on you YouTube, instagram, etc. can pay a premium (and likely will if what they are buying is in good enough shape to make them look even better). Not saying you need to sell it to a purist for less because get, cash talks. But an “influencer” can afford the premium others can’t/ won’t.

Good luck regardless and looking forward to more pics!

This is a fair assessment. I would say that 90% of the cars I've owned over the years with the odometer that rolls over, have rolled over.

Doug DeMero makes literally millions per year just of his youtube ad revenue. Vice Grip Garage has a fourth the subscribers but still up over a million. That's in the top tier. Plus videos about automotive related topics are paid towards the higher end per view. Right behind personal financial and educational shows I think which is funny. He seems to specialize in bringing cars back from the dead so I'm not surprised his team would be looking at this one. Don't get low balled.

Now, if I may put on my tin foil hat, I almost think this whole post was created as a buzz marketing scheme.

My apologies, Vice Grip Garage. I said Zip Tie Garage.

I'm in agreement with Skreddy on both of his posts. I think it's a $5-$10k rig, but people are paying stupid money right now. As he and others have said, it all depends on location. I personally wouldn't pay $10k for it, but that doesn't mean it's not worth that or more. Like someone said right off the bat, it's worth what someone will pay for it. The original purchaser was born in what... 1905? So it's kind of ridiculous to call this a one-owner. Also like others have said, if some youtuber is buying it for some kind of show, then hit him well below the belt with the price. He's planning to make a bunch of money off of that, why shouldn't the seller make money too? Price it high. You can always come down.

I thought you were having a snarky giggle 😂
I’m plenty snarky, but for falling under the millennial umbrella, I’m clueless to the way these kids work these days.

If he does buy it my first thought was same as @MDH33
Is he going to make it a non-runner so he can bring it back to life on his channel?

Would hate to see that level of top notch douchery for this truck just for "likes" and "subscribers".

To the OP it would be very cool to see some original paperwork from back in the day.
Should help the value. Some love documents (me included), some could care less.

I'd not want to pay more than 7k-8k. Mainly due to the "rust". Yeah everything else solid, but that's just a bummer for me. Small holes noted on the rear and just mainly looks like surface crust everywhere else.... Idk about the underside chassis but it looked pretty crusty too. The patina looks nice on the outside paint. And having a mismatched rear hatch seems odd. If it wernt for those things 10k is the max.

Edit: just realized it's being potentially sold to a YouTuber. Bump the price. Ha!

Last edited:
If he does buy it my first thought was same as @MDH33
Is he going to make it a non-runner so he can bring it back to life on his channel?

Would hate to see that level of top notch douchery for this truck just for "likes" and "subscribers".

To the OP it would be very cool to see some original paperwork from back in the day.
Should help the value. Some love documents (me included), some could care less.
Here is the Bill of Sale from the Toyota Dealership he bought it from. New item by Bert Young - https://photos.app.goo.gl/W9KPtAn9SyorvqCB8

Thanks for sharing!
Nice piece of Landcruiser history right there.

Nice original cruiser from Georgia, very rare in this part of the country. It would be great for cruising around on the farm. Best of luck with the sale and I hope the new guy appreciates it for what it is.

There was one in central KS that was in worse shape than that one and it sold for $6000. This was in the last 12 months. It also did not run.

If I was given one wish. One wish only.

I would have the word patina removed from the universe

I would probably go with "vintage" myself, but I get your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom