Strange issue with distributor not firing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the most part my 77 FJ40 fires up just fine but on ocasión I’ve been having issues with my distributor. Will run fine one second then if I turn it off and go in to fire it back up it won’t fire….

I’ve found that if I remove the dizzy cap and pull the rotor slightly out before replacing the cap then the truck will fire right back up with no problems. I also kinda poke around with the points but haven’t made any real adjustments there

Anyone know what the issue may be? Do I need to replace the cap, rotor or points? Overall it’s pretty clean and doesn’t look like it’s have any issues from the visuals. Super frustrating and took me way too long to determine my issue

For the most part my 77 FJ40 fires up just fine but on ocasión I’ve been having issues with my distributor. Will run fine one second then if I turn it off and go in to fire it back up it won’t fire….

I’ve found that if I remove the dizzy cap and pull the rotor slightly out before replacing the cap then the truck will fire right back up with no problems. I also kinda poke around with the points but haven’t made any real adjustments there

Anyone know what the issue may be? Do I need to replace the cap, rotor or points? Overall it’s pretty clean and doesn’t look like it’s have any issues from the visuals. Super frustrating and took me way too long to determine my issue
Is it the original, 46 year old part? That might be a clue.

Is it the original, 46 year old part? That might be a clue.
I’m not entirely sure as I don’t have much info on the restoration of the vehicle but I’d say it’s not original based on the overall condition. Pictures attached

44E26E38-17C5-49E5-B95A-13875E234C29.jpeg

922B3507-AF81-4171-812E-0F4502413CBE.jpeg

B4B4C221-78C7-49F4-94D8-4511FC95774D.jpeg

is this an out of the country restoration?
that doesn't look like a stock US 1977 distributor
it also appears to be 180 degrees off

is this an out of the country restoration?
that doesn't look like a stock US 1977 distributor
it also appears to be 180 degrees off
It was done in the US but I think they may have thrown an older dizzy on there, from what I can see it’s a 68-74 model. Purchased from someone who had done the refurb

What makes you think it’s 180 out?

Looks like #1 plug wire is connected to #6 cap position--When the No. 1 cylinder is firing, the rotor should be pointed approx at the #4 plug(reference only)that cap location is the #1 cylinder connection on the dizzy cap

dizzy vac connections.jpg

Looks like #1 plug wire is connected to #6 cap position--When the No. 1 cylinder is firing, the rotor should be pointed approx at the #4 plug(reference only)that cap location is the #1 cylinder connection on the dizzy cap

View attachment 3228840
Not 180 out, if it was 180 out it wouldn't run at all. Orientation seems close

No. 1 spark plug wire is connected to the no. six cap position-and No. 6 plug wire is connected to the No. 1 cap position--I didn't confirm the other wires--if the cap indeed has the plug wires stamped on the cap, and the plug wires are connected to the proper stamped connections, then the cap is rotated in the wrong position. OEM caps can only fit one way-there is a notch in the cap that mates with a nub on the dizzy body

This last picture looks like the distributor isn't seated all the way down?
This is "VERY" important to check. If you don't know exactly why, ask.

What makes you think it’s 180 out?

Not 180 out, if it was 180 out it wouldn't run at all. Orientation seems close

the distributor was stabbed/installed on top dead exhaust stroke, not the top dead compression stroke.
it is not an issue as the wires are now rotated 180 around the cap, as long as the OP knows this, it is alright, but if someone installs an OEM cap with the #'s on it they won't line up
I was making an observasion as to who ever installed it didn't take time to do it properly
I should have stated the distributor is 180 off and the wires are the same, thus compensating for the original mistake

I thought a 1977 would be semi electronic, and if it was gone thru, and a 1977 wasn't available, that a later fully electronic unit would have been installed, assuming what is installed is a points unit as the condensor is shown

X2 on it being seated properly

the distributor was stabbed/installed on top dead exhaust stroke, not the top dead compression stroke.
it is not an issue as the wires are now rotated 180 around the cap, as long as the OP knows this, it is alright, but if someone installs an OEM cap with the #'s on it they won't line up
I was making an observasion as to who ever installed it didn't take time to do it properly
I should have stated the distributor is 180 off and the wires are the same, thus compensating for the original mistake

I thought a 1977 would be semi electronic, and if it was gone thru, and a 1977 wasn't available, that a later fully electronic unit would have been installed, assuming what is installed is a points unit as the condensor is shown

X2 on it being seated properly
Thanks for that. Went thru over the weekend and fixed the 180 out debacle — now I’ve got the plugs ordered correctly and after fixing the points in the dizzy it seems to be firing up great now.

Read thru a bunch of threads about dizzy not being properly seated and I guess I’m having that issue. I can feel it engaging the oil pump when dropping it in but I still have that little gap at the top. Assuming this is not normal - any suggestions to get it drop that last 1/8 of an inch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom