What do I have? 40 newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh I realize it’s not an easy button. But I’d rather spend the time getting the sniper setup than dealing with a carb.

Although I’ve never driven one a 40, so maybe if I drove a good tuned runing carbed one I’d have a different take.

I want to do a Sniper just because I am a nerd and like computers. But my 40 runs so damn consistently well with the original carb that Jim C rebuilt for me over 15 years ago it is really hard to spend the time on doing a Sniper.

I'm stuck on the O2 sensor install because Holley wants the sensor where it gets quenched by the cold (after the header collectors). I wish I had a manifold with a down-pipe.

Also, I can't stand listening to these motors idle near 700 rpm at a red light - like what is the hysteria all about, these motors tick so smooth around 550 or 600 rpm, well, turn up the radio. Why does the Holley need such an incredible idle?

The best thing about this set-up might be the smaller fuel droplets. However, a warm carburetor will be sufficient to get you what you need when you tap the throttle.

If I had kept the 2F in mine, I wouldn't have done anything other than fuel injection. Even crappy throttle body injection is better than a carburetor for casual use.

Different strokes for different folks

Few more pictures from today. Tucked it away under the shed.

Picture of the tote is things that came with it. Not pictured is the passenger seat base and skin.

The floor is rusted through under the fuel tank as expected, the rest seems pretty solid. Just surface scale.

6DCCE684-C61B-4060-85D0-33E079E52F0A.jpeg

A7A0B042-E59C-4B44-958A-55F3509E6A86.jpeg

FEDD690E-4DCA-4F87-8FFA-B70B65F022E8.jpeg

781F95E7-181C-4E85-BDD2-DFEDBB87C2A0.jpeg

Looks like you found your heater. You probably need to pressure test it to see if the core is ok. It probably was removed for a reason.

Looks like a great start if the price was "fair" as stated. Not sure what that is these days.

Looks good with the hardtop, like others very surprised its that straight after taking flight.
It will look like a different truck when the steelies are mounted up!

Looks like a great start if the price was "fair" as stated. Not sure what that is these days.

Looks good with the hardtop, like others very surprised its that straight after taking flight.
It will look like a different truck when the steelies are mounted up!

It’s not perfectly straight, but salvageable I think.

Does anyone lurking have any idea of value of the complete engine/ trans/ transfer case in unknown condition? I can see if the engine is locked up or not and check everything for water intrusion.

I don’t know where to start on pricing it.

Does anyone lurking have any idea of value of the complete engine/ trans/ transfer case in unknown condition? I can see if the engine is locked up or not and check everything for water intrusion.

I don’t know where to start on pricing it.

It's been years since I priced an engine; the last time I did, I could have gotten a known-running late 2F from an FJ60 for $500. I don't think it had the transmission or transfer case with it; not sure what the value of those would be. I had a spare, mostly complete H42 in good working order that I finally gave away to get it off of my shop floor.

It's been years since I priced an engine; the last time I did, I could have gotten a known-running late 2F from an FJ60 for $500. I don't think it had the transmission or transfer case with it; not sure what the value of those would be. I had a spare, mostly complete H42 in good working order that I finally gave away to get it off of my shop floor.

Yeah I have no clue on these. I’ve seen setups listed for 2-3k. However not sure how realistic that is, also those are supposed running engines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom