In the Market, as it were. 2023 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife's 2015 Audi Q7 seems to be disposable, currently leaking oil, trans fluid, and coolant, has some weird parasitic battery drain issue, creaks and squeaks and cost over $700 to get a new battery installed. I wish a tornado or fire would put it out of its misery.

Meanwhile, my 2002 almost 370k mile Landcruiser is our go to family vehicle bc of how s***ty the Audi is. (it was given to us, I didn't buy that thing).

We're looking at a new 2023 GX before Toyota does away with the tried and true 4.6 V8's in America.

Question is, can I expect the same level of reliability and maintainability from the GX that I've been experiencing in my 100 series for the last 12 years (I'm the second owner)? I can take care of just about any job in my garage, unlike the Audi where I can't even change the battery myself without reprogramming the computer at the dealership. I would be buying this GX for 10-15 years of ownership minimum.

The wife's 2015 Audi Q7 seems to be disposable, currently leaking oil, trans fluid, and coolant, has some weird parasitic battery drain issue, creaks and squeaks and cost over $700 to get a new battery installed. I wish a tornado or fire would put it out of its misery.

Meanwhile, my 2002 almost 370k mile Landcruiser is our go to family vehicle bc of how s***ty the Audi is. (it was given to us, I didn't buy that thing).

We're looking at a new 2023 GX before Toyota does away with the tried and true 4.6 V8's in America.

Question is, can I expect the same level of reliability and maintainability from the GX that I've been experiencing in my 100 series for the last 12 years (I'm the second owner)? I can take care of just about any job in my garage, unlike the Audi where I can't even change the battery myself without reprogramming the computer at the dealership. I would be buying this GX for 10-15 years of ownership minimum.
1 vote for YES on reliability! EVERY Toyota product we've ever had has gone at least a quarter million miles. We've had at least a half dozen Toyota's, this being our first Lexus.
Looking for an insurance claim on your Audi, with where you live and all the weather down there, surprised you couldn't just park it in a low lying area during a storm and claim flood damage! 😁

All signs point to yes.
Yep!
As I've mentioned before. Yes you'll hear about GM's, Fords, American, European vehicles, etc. do a quarter, half million miles. And you'll even hear about Toyota and Lexus lemons. But the ratio of diamonds to lemons is FAR greater with Toyota/Lexus. You may get 1 in 10,000 of almost every other manufacturer that can reach those ultra high mileages, but the majority will fail not much past 6 figure miles.
While Toyota/Lexus are the inverse of that. There may be a lemon 1 in 10,000 vehicles, but most will hit that high mileage.
Something to think about.

I always say, Toyota's and Lexus may not be the prettiest, fastest nor best mpg, but they do last forever.

GX's are generally easy to work on (save for a few engine-related things). Much of the platform dates all the way back to 2002 for the 4th gen 4Runner and GX470. It's very tried-and-true. You're basically buying the same GX460 you could have picked up new in October of 2009, albeit with a facelift and some more infotainment and safety tech. I'll wager that (with the 200 series and V8 Tundra gone) there is no 4x4 platform currently being sold USDM that is as proven as a GX/5th gen T4R.

New Toyota build quality is excellent. Our '23 Highlander is a dialed and well-put-together vehicle. Will be very hard for us to have anything but a Toyota or Lexus now.

Question is, can I expect the same level of reliability and maintainability from the GX that I've been experiencing in my 100 series for the last 12 years (I'm the second owner)?
100%. My 2010 Lexus GX460 is like new mechanically and is in fantastic shape on the rest. If you drove it without knowing it's year you'd think it was a year or two old. I'm not exaggerating, mechanically I must of found a near unicorn--but this is a common occurrence. The only thing in 160k miles that was something all 2010-2014 or so owners should expect is the coolant valley plate gasket leak, which is almost never serious. Toyota changed the gasket material used so for the newer GX's won't have this problem.

To put this in further perspective, I was on original brake rotors until a couple thousand miles ago and they weren't even warped or cracked. I'm also on my original suspension, steering components and bushings. These are made by a small team of veteran professionals in Japan so you know they'll last forever.

If you drove it without knowing it's year you'd think it was a year or two old.
Ha-ha-ha!!! Until you look at the infotainment touch screen! To me it screams 1990 Windows 3.0!!
But yeah, MrTorque, you're right on with everything else.

Having 4 land cruisers, 2 of which were 100 series, I can say a qualified "yes". BUT - every car, including land cruisers and GX's have their weak points. 100 series was ignition cylinder, transmission in certain model years, steering racks, heater tees (about the surest way to kill the motor), cracking radiators, CV boots, ignition coil failures, etc. My GX has had the coolant valley plate done, the radiator replaced, cam tabs replaced, etc. No rig is truly repair-free. But I find the rate of critical repairs acceptable on LC, especially compared to other makes.

Having 4 land cruisers, 2 of which were 100 series, I can say a qualified "yes". BUT - every car, including land cruisers and GX's have their weak points. 100 series was ignition cylinder, transmission in certain model years, steering racks, heater tees (about the surest way to kill the motor), cracking radiators, CV boots, ignition coil failures, etc. My GX has had the coolant valley plate done, the radiator replaced, cam tabs replaced, etc. No rig is truly repair-free. But I find the rate of critical repairs acceptable on LC, especially compared to other makes.
Agree. Most the issues with Toyota/Lexus are relatively minor compared to other manufacturers. I think what the difference comes down to is this:
Just how catastrophic is the break-down? With most of the other manufacturers, when something goes awry and in only less than 100,000 miles, with the repair costing thousands of dollars, which can be more than the cost of the car, it's more cost effective to just dump the car and get another.
With Toyota/Lexus, Yeah, the repair bill may be in the thousands, but that probably won't happen for a couple hundred thousand miles. And when it does, the resale of your vehicle is still high enough to warrant spending the couple thousand dollars to repair it and continue driving it!

I too felt your pain at one point with my Audi (a fine vehicle until the warranty expired - after which, I needed to budget an ever escalating multiple thousands of $s / yr for breakdowns/repairs/maintenance).

I purchased my 22 GX in Feb last year. I have a bit over 17K miles on it. No visits to Lexus - except for routine maintenance. It may be an "ancient" design but it sure has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Reactions: r2m
I’d say you’re good to go. I work for TMNA and have had just about every Toyota/Lexus model at one point or another. The GX has always been my favorite. So much so, that I just picked one up for purchase.

Last year of the V8 and I didn‘t want to miss out. Hope to keep this one long enough to pass it down to my son (which may be longer than your expected ownership window). Good luck!

If there were any bugs, after 13 years of production I would think they have them worked out.

If there were any bugs, after 13 years of production I would think they have them worked out.
Agreed! Not like what the Bronco is going through!!! :rofl:

Same response here - driving a 2010 with 180k+ miles. Replaced the radiator and took it in for the air pump recall. Otherwise, just normal maintenance and abundance of caution stuff (like changing out the transmission fluid once). It is dead reliable - in line with the other LCs and other Toyotas I have had. I’ve got to say, though, that we have a 2017 Audi A4 that has been a wonderful car - though nowhere near the miles. Now that Saab I bought new back in 2002 was on the other end of the spectrum- what a joke

Yes and yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom