Builds Last Year FZJ74 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been chasing this exact car for 1 year or so. I got it from the original owner. He had it parked for probably 10 to 14 years he said.

Here is what I got

2006 74 series LX with about 70,000 kms. Stock.

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.JPG

The 74 is really rare in the GCC market. They were never popular with the removable roof. Most 70s here are either a 79 or 71. 78s and 76s are also rare but the 74 and 73 are unicorns let alone finding one in this condition. A score for sure!

You will notice the plastic rear cover on the bumper and headlight adjustment. These were dealer spec (upfit in Japan) options that the Saudi dealer ALJ had. ALJ is known to configure their cars in different ways. sometimes to the point where they change headlights and taillights like on the 100J - J for Jamel. But thats a different topic for another thread.

What did ALJ add to this? headlight electric adjustment, which is really handy when loading gear and the black bumpers front and back. The downside is replacement parts are somewhat difficult to get.

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

Here's a car culture thing in Saudi. 70 series owners and others like to leave everything in wraps. If you've been in this part of the world, you'd see a hood with white plastic wraps. interiors with plastic wraps and covers. Well, my 74 was no different when I got it. The whole interior was covered in this stuff. While removing it, it was all oily for all the years of it being installed on the car. After these photos I took it straight to the detail shop and have them completely clean the interior from all the sticky oily stuff. Otherwise, the car is in excellent shape. some fadding in the plastic trim, but that's all ordered.

IMG_2160.JPG

Absolutely love this rig!

Looks like grandmas couch wrapped plastic!

I'm usually an OEM rim guy, but dang those evocourse are phenomenal. When that money starts growing in my yard I'm going look into a set of these as it appears they have the correct backspace needed.

I bet this thing is a fantastic rig to drive with coils up front, 1fz and 5 speed.

Great looking vehicle so far! Question, if you get a chance can you show what you have going on for the roof rack? Those look like Front Runner style feet and bars. I am curious how you have them connected at the T junction.

Fast forward 2 months and into last weekend, this is how it sits now.

I originally wanted a 10mm lift but with these 33s, it looks like we need 50mm /2" lift to have it sit right.

I'll try to post as I build it and use it. I do enjoy the process.

View attachment 3227219

View attachment 3227220

View attachment 3227221

View attachment 3227222

View attachment 3227223
What EvoCorse wheels did you go with? I'm looking for this exact same setup for my FZJ75. Also, what size tires?

Last edited:
What a score you got here! I'm really jealous!

But why replacing the original jerrycan !??

I distribute the NATO spec cans in Saudi. The original ones are good too. But I like to represent what I sell.

I have to ask why were the body graphics removed as well. Just personal preference?

I didn't really like the 06 stripes. I have classic ones ordered from Australia. Waiting for them to arrive. those would look rad!

Before peeling the origianl ones off. I had to make sure that the O.E replacement were in the stash of parts for it. So once I got them from the dealer, we took it to the detail shop to have them removed and cleaned. the sides turned out clean. I was a little worried it would be baked on but luckily no issues.

The whole modifications on this can be un-done with the exception of the front right fender. I can easily get it from the dealer as well. So the whole modifications can be undone. Not that I've ever returned a vehicle back to stock. But for this, I feel like it might be the closest to go back compared to my other trucks.

Absolutely love this rig!

Looks like grandmas couch wrapped plastic!

I'm usually an OEM rim guy, but dang those evocourse are phenomenal. When that money starts growing in my yard I'm going look into a set of these as it appears they have the correct backspace needed.

I bet this thing is a fantastic rig to drive with coils up front, 1fz and 5 speed.

I agree 100% nothing looks good on cruisers. This is also my opinion. O.E wheels look the best on them. The 16s it came with looked great and for the last year. I've wanted to wrap Ko2s on it with white letters out. I just love that look. All this went out the window when I went to Dakar this year. Most of the cars had Evos on them and they were beating them to hell! I just couldn't believe how much abuse they were getting! One of the racers had a tire failure 200kms before his finish line. He drove 200KMs on the wheel and he was able to complete the stage. It's just insane what these italian made wheels can go through. They are growing on me.

I also added the exact same wheel on my 105. I should have done it a long time ago. It looks great!

Regarding suspension. The original setup is a little harsh in the back with no weight. I plan to add a rear bumper from Kaymar. I hope it helps with spring rebound.

I'm running Fox 2.5 DSC shocks all around. Amazing shocks! waiting for my springs to arrive so hopefully it will be a good ride by then.

Maşallah!! 🤘🤘

Habibi Onur 🤝

Great looking vehicle so far! Question, if you get a chance can you show what you have going on for the roof rack? Those look like Front Runner style feet and bars. I am curious how you have them connected at the T junction.

Good eye!

Those are Quick Pitch load bars. They are sloted from all sides so I got corner plates and bolted them up. I stood on them, at the joint and in the middle. No movement. They are really strong. But I'm equally impressed with the factory gutter mounts. Toyota is amazing! how did they make these mounts so strong while being made of fiberglass! It's just crazy!

I'll try to get pics of the setup. the car is in my warehouse for the next two weeks.

What EvoCorse wheels did you go with? I'm looking for this exact same setup for my FZJ75. Also, what size tires?

I went with Dakar -20. They fit perfectly if you have flares. If you don't have flares, go for -10 or 0 offset. A personal preference but try to stick to O.E. offset and wheel width if you can. It helps with scrub radius and overall wear and tare.

I went with Dakar -20. They fit perfectly if you have flares. If you don't have flares, go for -10 or 0 offset. A personal preference but try to stick to O.E. offset and wheel width if you can. It helps with scrub radius and overall wear and tare.

So 16x8 -20 If I have flairs, you recommend 16x7 -10 if I don't have flairs. Got it!

What are your tire specs?

Fast forward 2 months and into last weekend, this is how it sits now.

I originally wanted a 10mm lift but with these 33s, it looks like we need 50mm /2" lift to have it sit right.

I'll try to post as I build it and use it. I do enjoy the process.

View attachment 3227219

View attachment 3227220

View attachment 3227221

View attachment 3227222

View attachment 3227223

You are having me rethink my flares. That looks fantastic. Of course my flares are t quite that cool.

killer truck buddy 👍

Very nice!

Those are wicked fender flare & mud flap combos! I’ve never seen those before.

These are OEM flares and flaps. They are usually on the LX variant of the 70 series.

You are having me rethink my flares. That looks fantastic. Of course my flares are t quite that cool.

I prefer the aesthetic of no flare to be honest. Less parts, cleaner and less maintenance.

If I could, I would delete my oem flares.

Edit: I mean to say if I could easily. No weld or hole covering involved. Sadly that isn’t the case. It is a mess of brackets under those flares.

Last edited:
If I could, I would delete my oem flares.

Edit: I mean to say if I could easily. No weld or hole covering involved. Sadly that isn’t the case. It is a mess of brackets under those flares.
Do you just not like the look or are you concerned with corrosion under them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom