FJ60 Rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have been messaging the seller of an FJ60 in my area that I am pretty interested in, but it has a few red flags that I wanted some advice about. It is being sold for $6,500, it has over 300k mileage, and after messaging the seller privately, he sent a photo showing what looks like severe floorboard rust. I am including the pictures here so you can check it out yourself. Is this a rotted money pit?
601.jpeg
603.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
602.jpeg

The undercarriage looks pretty good. Definitely not rotted. As to whether its a money pit - that depends on the status of the engine and transmission. If you can drive it another 80K miles before having to rebuild the engine -that’s acceptable.

The undercarriage looks pretty good. Definitely not rotted. As to whether its a money pit - that depends on the status of the engine and transmission. If you can drive it another 80K miles before having to rebuild the engine -that’s acceptable.
There’s a hole in the frame by that leaf spring hanger in the second-to-last photo.

She’s rusty for sure. The purchase depends on your appetite for doing the work. I drove a truck with similar rust to that for a couple years. No regerts.

The frame needs a lot closer look and more photos. Springs are totally sagged out. I would pass on this one.

Untitled.png

But for $6500 what did you expect. At this point a good condition FJ60 with no rust and everything working and well kept would be in the $25K range. I assume you don't own a welding machine, have never welded, have never done body work. If you did, you wouldn't be asking about the "rusted money pit". We do need to see more images but from what I see so far it looks like a typical 35 year old vehicle but not a parts truck yet and may be worth saving. If you owned a welding machine (and you can learn to mig weld in a day) that repair would be very inexpensive and easy to do. You'll need to do some body work too on the rear quarters and front fender as well as the floors. Look at all this as negotiating leverage if you are up to the repairs. Otherwise walk away. A welder, gas bottle, cart, helmet, gloves, and grinder and other tools will run you about $1000 or more. You need to be a hearty kind of person! Timid people without callouses on their hands won't do well to try and wield a grinder under a truck!

FYI...a suspension kit will run about $2000 and that is with you installing it. Cruiser Outfitters - http://cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_60series_dakar.html

If you have no mechanical skills you should really be motivated to buy some tools and equipment and learn on this vehicle. It will not be a daily driver until you make it one. So plan on it not being a necessary or primary vehicle. If you need to pay for every repair you should re-think this purchase. Otherwise welcome to the madness.

@OSS

This particular hole is definitely not supposed to be there:
CF2C69C4-3125-42E6-B6DE-44568DEE584E.jpeg

@guh guh This all depends on what you’re after. A pretty clean vintage vehicle to drive to the Show & Shine event once per month. A reliable daily driver. A beat up rig for bouncing off rocks on the trail. I daily drove and wheeled this 60 below for a couple years. It had the same rust hole in the frame on both sides. I probably should have learned to weld sooner and patched those spots - I sold it to a guy who is undertaking that process right now. My point is that yes, you can still drive it with rust - as long as you assess the risk of catastrophic failure for stuff like the frame, rear shock crossmember, etc.

B0113102-4E26-47C8-876B-1B96AB3DDBE0.jpeg

Keep looking, there are much better ones out there.

Is this in Albuquerque? Sure looks like the sandia mountains in the background. I’m local in ‘Burque if you need someone to eyeball it.
It looks just like mine - color and rust!

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like I should keep my eyes peeled for a better contender. Also yes it is in Albuquerque! Somewhere off of Coal.

But for $6500 what did you expect. At this point a good condition FJ60 with no rust and everything working and well kept would be in the $25K range. I assume you don't own a welding machine, have never welded, have never done body work. If you did, you wouldn't be asking about the "rusted money pit". We do need to see more images but from what I see so far it looks like a typical 35 year old vehicle but not a parts truck yet and may be worth saving. If you owned a welding machine (and you can learn to mig weld in a day) that repair would be very inexpensive and easy to do. You'll need to do some body work too on the rear quarters and front fender as well as the floors. Look at all this as negotiating leverage if you are up to the repairs. Otherwise walk away. A welder, gas bottle, cart, helmet, gloves, and grinder and other tools will run you about $1000 or more. You need to be a hearty kind of person! Timid people without callouses on their hands won't do well to try and wield a grinder under a truck!

FYI...a suspension kit will run about $2000 and that is with you installing it. Cruiser Outfitters - http://cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_60series_dakar.html

If you have no mechanical skills you should really be motivated to buy some tools and equipment and learn on this vehicle. It will not be a daily driver until you make it one. So plan on it not being a necessary or primary vehicle. If you need to pay for every repair you should re-think this purchase. Otherwise welcome to the madness.
the comment about no callouses, time to develop some is my thinkin'. callouses on your hands should be a prereq for LC ownership

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like I should keep my eyes peeled for a better contender. Also yes it is in Albuquerque! Somewhere off of Coal.
Also in ABQ, picked up a 62 with almost no rust, 250k miles, leaking engine and an auto transmission that needed rebuilding, $6500. Take a look at my build if you want to see condition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom