Long Travel AHC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone mounted lx600 shocks up yet? I’m Dying to see if they bolt on and integrate with no issues. Particularly the fronts…
I got told on Friday by the Lexus dealer that they wouldn't work, specifically the rears tho, when I had it in for my 60k warranty maintenance that included the AHC fluid service. To say I don't believe them would be an understatement. If they had the correct shock they quoted me $115 for the part.

@MTKID didn't you have a set that you were planning to install? Even with my dual upgrades of front and rear bump stops I don't think I could manage the LX600 shocks and the shock mount move. You would need to space down the Timbrens even further. Would be sweet to have 3.75" of additional droop over stock.

I think I would be in for a set of @turbo8 mount adapters as well!

I found the link to the data and the confusion is likely front shock vs rear shock. Bothered me enough that I had to go re-measure the rears. Looks like I embedded the wrong pics in that thread as well.

Rear AHC stock shocks with pics to confirm:
Compressed: 16.75"
Extended: 25.5"
Stroke: 8.75"
1bygqxXZaBGmpv4nGzPS2SfxetImMHjzLlp99Fxpx1EZnIoAaHsK20BcuTTuPRnUKpN26hB9Mvm-GESM-o38CE9xagv6aa260CemBJ7-Lh2UifZ6nJ5Uj7tYowL_suxWebd40qpp8-eBbkX9U5aN7UKENHUVhn7krPZZnzmw27XqgM3MSIpmLAwxqyN46krDKnINYjDdexp_JsyALfC-VyOSoxd9b0cjQ-oY6z8uQhjFbwoY4sv_tnuY-k3ZUQSmJE4Wv9-vk0AK5siJkMov752xsRWo0K2gboHtiZw4T27kv3MQ43-Cwkrtk82hnFfeeME5KzZ7TsFlBZtvCn0U_VdEP2ryhM7SUi3m00LJSMlMoG-NxjZLy_vVhuO7_VAdzsoIOks3mqLG9vs3molEVmatilWTKw2oQy5aKBPxiF8pFvOs2hlblMR_UMMnt-Br1PQUWypdC2CtMoRGGw8eYVfIDWwe0znyDM65YxqQfTIcua3ZCE4oIiQLMsR0XW7CvEHbZ7wnmrDJG2NffeiFAWklrassWjAedZ06VbRaYkU17Vw4PoSHAnapnm1rz3sBpJlBdnh4lg1RiojD10UC60h6St_tk2NUK5Yl_dA64mLC4OQNmgXWoeAaB9jA869853xU0otHsPx5W0K9P8LlepM0rwPaL-dmdvqn1ey11s-wS04JOilPK_odPbsJXV6dq_k0qdyvT6FSF7dTvh6Vd_UNxhEIS7otvXobYD9Sp4e7O8nUO7Hf8H8TP5ly8aINCDLVzLZIaKrrE1AFqlJg9mwWff6NWowYI7QZIARw5BZoDA1Br7ZHBDRI2EfG5PT0vYLUtWeEfhEYe0DStdYdUtaFk4RUOYSa2oSruMsk-h-AG0vFTD6-QufpeG_f5XZk0f9n7bjQBLR9G_jGr8eyIYclvTTNp0ITp0w_DdJVnskuUQ=w1776-h1337-no

gYfPVOFJpagjSBmdOtK1Y7DqfpPgRrq1tZnmy0VBJimWVuAuwIPfwM-TZ0O2xYmqwOSLmq_-12JSu-gwUGzT10ZRIKjE5zX3sB9HJAwOmoEdaFqf_VAsPSONyzFBeKngxL_EfYdOTEEkjtnQXPqCkBYaxzWiWiCQu7AYfUs2SfyHepCTAZgKViXkh6lLF-iYnJXD-8YXE9aoqe7WCikl4YqxhFLCCOAshn9jYwmSxNuFmSMGxRdoo_BfcaHM9urtxPkn0Zd5oo07_Atk_ZnxAx9TmwLLSG2JTNL74pXFekv4-xT9yUcyHlPhqD-K3cTU6Wtcrf0iBe3wE71NWDD37rYl4iaN6_W9cykFlLrGMTpB2zG_bi4w2GHbcPn3upf_t640mhrrXicg4y2WwerGp5Ah4YrEZm8gfcztzKDuEthDO8p0IRf7hLJq256u_JqkTRsIS6X68b9hVH1UjyvIBVoPPBS9n-xk4v3xly-0fjsovGvx2HeZs-PoYq6Wug3QiCvGSLFlExuKvvngtfQYsw65wObtCB-JWUVTUye4dYHlTTD-qOr6M6oRM80fROlzMeeXzc4askpZQM0OgoKbKTscXS9HrA9rQG140YbJ2K_rGPYjfRUltoAh7k45ZUJLEGvSERrlVmG4gag2s5faQKffRc5jOJHFX_3EUT31XkjdW8eUjanyzCRWqSnmqdmL6AQNKLg1CWgXQkgCqBe9V6zlHZItI-wR3Wmb-aiY0kvJR9nKH42mTYwov80fqcPBgaYwXhLyW5QoV6WoBa56Ia_HD1x-Fp207NeHfxdZoPvixUCI9_ZsDadJNgo6U8BcE5XnSJU8uurifm3MXaL_lbSleBxE59oi6FjfAumWrLOE0r0RDB0d-u7ZwTmkPfVG4Nqs2JWiTgWWYYBI_qURptgvfv0RaIrGPRUpUPFfIdFhuA=w1776-h1337-no
Thanks for clarifying those figures @TeCKis300. I can't see the pics, but assuming that 16.75" is the total available and not the actual length it's compressed to on the truck since the stock bump stop configuration limits it. Like you've discovered it would be 45mm less hence making the actual length it's compressed to in the stock form to be ~18.5". Does that sound correct?

Stock LX570 rear shock extended measurement is 25.5"
@Killacaviar and @MTKID setups as well as @turbo8 bolt on solution puts the extension measurement of 27.25" so +1.75" beyond stock

For reference of an 80 series because I have that handy:
Stock 80 front 13.9"-23.7" 9.8" travel
rear: 14.2"-23.8" 9.6" travel
OME "L" shocks: 26.25" extended
Dobinson +6" lift: 17.3"-28.1" 11.8" travel
Radflo etc+6" lift: ~27.5 or 28"
Ironman FCP: 17.3"-28.7" 11.4" travel
Superior Engineering 7" lift shocks I currently run on 3" lift: 17.9"-30.4" 12.5" travel +6.6" beyond stock measured at the shock not the hub.

The rear of 80-200 series cruisers are essentially the same. Can you imagine having an AHC shock with the dimensions above like 18"-30.5" available? Those would put the extended length +4.9" beyond stock!
Cruiser front flex 2.jpg

Cruiser front flex.jpg

People say the front of 80's don't flex so here is a photo of what having 6"+ of droop over stock looks like. The rear of a 200 could have this much droop too; enough for 42's to clear the rockers. However at a certain point too much rear flex is a detriment so I upgraded the rear sway bar and let the front do the lions share of the work like the above post mentions. I'd love to duplicate this recipe as close as possible on my LX without grenading the CV's.

Thanks for clarifying those figures @TeCKis300. I can't see the pics, but assuming that 16.75" is the total available and not the actual length it's compressed to on the truck since the stock bump stop configuration limits it. Like you've discovered it would be 45mm less hence making the actual length it's compressed to in the stock form to be ~18.5". Does that sound correct?

Stock LX570 rear shock extended measurement is 25.5"
@Killacaviar and @MTKID setups as well as @turbo8 bolt on solution puts the extension measurement of 27.25" so +1.75" beyond stock

For reference of an 80 series because I have that handy:
Stock 80 front 13.9"-23.7" 9.8" travel
rear: 14.2"-23.8" 9.6" travel
OME "L" shocks: 26.25" extended
Dobinson +6" lift: 17.3"-28.1" 11.8" travel
Radflo etc+6" lift: ~27.5 or 28"
Ironman FCP: 17.3"-28.7" 11.4" travel
Superior Engineering 7" lift shocks I currently run on 3" lift: 17.9"-30.4" 12.5" travel +6.6" beyond stock measured at the shock not the hub.

The rear of 80-200 series cruisers are essentially the same. Can you imagine having an AHC shock with the dimensions above like 18"-30.5" available? Those would put the extended length +4.9" beyond stock! View attachment 3219970
View attachment 3219986
People say the front of 80's don't flex so here is a photo of what having 6"+ of droop over stock looks like. The rear of a 200 could have this much droop too; enough for 42's to clear the rockers. However at a certain point too much rear flex is a detriment so I upgraded the rear sway bar and let the front do the lions share of the work like the above post mentions. I'd love to duplicate this recipe as close as possible on my LX without grenading the CV's.

Yes to your question.

Loving your 80-series. Great point about the 80-series rear end practically being the same as the 200-series. On the LX, we're constrained by AHC integration.

I've been brainstorming how to further expand travel given that constraint. I don't know if @turbo8 planned it this way with his new brackets in development. By locating the lower shock axle mounting point inboard a tad benefits the motion ratio of the shock to allow more droop. It also increase the second mode of articulated travel in compression and droop to further increase effective travel. I wouldn't be surprised if both factors created another .5-.75" of overall travel.

Then the LX600 shocks which are known incrementally longer. I still need to cut my LX570 shocks open, but the LX600 is an incrementally lighter vehicle. The fact that it also mounts its shocks outboard of the frame improves the motion ratio. Because of those factors there's a possibility that the LX600 shocks are designed for a bit lighter damping force. Or maybe not as that's all tuned with the offboard damping components. I should just get one and measure/cut them apart.

I got told on Friday by the Lexus dealer that they wouldn't work, specifically the rears tho, when I had it in for my 60k warranty maintenance that included the AHC fluid service. To say I don't believe them would be an understatement. If they had the correct shock they quoted me $115 for the part.

@MTKID didn't you have a set that you were planning to install? Even with my dual upgrades of front and rear bump stops I don't think I could manage the LX600 shocks and the shock mount move. You would need to space down the Timbrens even further. Would be sweet to have 3.75" of additional droop over stock.

I think I would be in for a set of @turbo8 mount adapters as well!
I do have a set here but I haven’t had a chance to install and test yet. Sorry. (And they were only around $58 ea, I think when I purchased them online)

Stock lower mount full droop
20230121_161534.jpg

With my bracket full droop
20230121_154018.jpg

With bracket, shock bottoms out about an inch from bump stop, was hard to get in there to get good picture of the measurement.
20230121_155848.jpg

20230121_160227.jpg

I think a 2" bump stop spacer would be necessary, if using my lower mounting bracket and stock bump.

Last edited:
That is a lot of droop!
I quoted the wrong post, but that stock drop is insane. The king also.
Yeah, when my rear shocks are due for a rebuild, I might switch to Tundra rear shocks which have an additional 0.9" of travel with a 0.1" longer collapsed length. They also have another bypass tube for additional adjustments.

Amazing man! Anybody know what the total compression on the stock bumps is? I wonder what sensor adjustments will be necessary to fully get the benefit of the droop at ride height?

Amazing man! Anybody know what the total compression on the stock bumps is? I wonder what sensor adjustments will be necessary to fully get the benefit of the droop at ride height?
I also checked stock bump travel. Right when the axle touches the bump stop there an inch of shock travel left. I'm assuming the bump will compress about that much too. So if you raised your lower shock mounts, make sure you lower your bump stops.

20230121_162407.jpg

I also checked stock bump travel. Right when the axle touches the bump stop there an inch of shock travel left. I'm assuming the bump will compress about that much too. So if you raised your lower shock mounts, make sure you lower your bump stops.

View attachment 3226189
Thanks for verifying and testing!

Is this with any spacers installed on the stock coil? Or is this ONLY with the new lower mount.
Just 3.0 king bypass shocks installed on stock mounts.

What would the potential downsides be in using the rear shock spacer + lower bump stops?

What would the potential downsides be in using the rear shock spacer + lower bump stops?

While I don't have exactly that setup, I've been running a less aggressive version of AHC long travel for better than 1/2 a year now so might be able to comment.

Downsides - not much if any. Since we're talking about using a larger spacer for the more aggressive version, it'll limit max compression travel. But that's potentially also desirable for clearance for 35s and up (a solution to 37s!, at least in the rear)

This comes back to the beauty of AHC for mixed use. Zero compromise for daily use. Keep all the goodness of day to day ride height and kneeling function for accessibly and sneaking into garages. Still tows my 8k trailer with stability. But unlocks that next level of articulation for off-road performance. @turbo8 kit unlocks even more.

Last edited:
Ive been off the forum for a good minute, dealing with stuff and life and have not had time to read a single post.
@turbo8 this is absolutely awesome. Thanks!

@TeCKis300 after running this for a bit do you think there is room up front for 20mm spacer instead of 17mm? Can the AHC fittings still be made to clear @20mm? I think @AnyMal was up around 25mm spacer?

Hey bud, sorry I've been out of pocket for a hot minute, I can confirm a 25mm is practical limit before AHC hose end attachment sinks into the bucket and gets blocked by the inner bore lip flanges.

My bushings actually failed and ive yet to address it and replace them up front with OEM spacers ive got on the shelf.
Will report once all thats done of course.

Ive been off the forum for a good minute, dealing with stuff and life and have not had time to read a single post.
@turbo8 this is absolutely awesome. Thanks!
Thought you got hit with the ban stick . . . glad you survived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom