Heater / Blower Motor Foam?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AKPoser

SILVER Star
Threads
In the process of renewing my heater / blower and can’t figure out what the foam on the gates or doors are for. It doesn’t filter air. Is it for insulating the heater /blower doors? Why? I do understand the seals against fire wall and body fresh air inlet.

Secondly, what is the best thickness of door foam and seals if I was to source locally? Mine were totally wasted, so don’t know what what was there to begin with and the kits SOR sells doesn’t say.
2ADE7A18-81BF-45E0-AD39-E2A11F202424.jpeg

I'm at about the same stage with the front heater in my 6/77 FJ-40. I bought the heater rebuild from a vendor on the forum about 10 years ago, but don't recall who it was! I'm going to look around at a couple of craft / fabric shops when I head into town at some point this week, and will report back if I find anything. I bet we can find something on Amazon that would fit the bill once we dial in the size.

In the process of renewing my heater / blower and can’t figure out what the foam on the gates or doors are for. It doesn’t filter air. Is it for insulating the heater /blower doors? Why? I do understand the seals against fire wall and body fresh air inlet.

Secondly, what is the best thickness of door foam and seals if I was to source locally? Mine were totally wasted, so don’t know what what was there to begin with and the kits SOR sells doesn’t say.View attachment 3221351
Is that the flap for the defroster? Or for the in cab circulation?

That should be the gate to recirculate your inside air, the foam is used as a sealing surface. I can't tell you what the thickness is. On a side note, you'll have to keep that set to only pull outside air in the winter, else you'll ice up all your windows due to all the condensate you'll produce...

That should be the gate to recirculate your inside air, the foam is used as a sealing surface. I can't tell you what the thickness is. On a side note, you'll have to keep that set to only pull outside air in the winter, else you'll ice up all your windows due to all the condensate you'll produce...
Thanks AK wheeler! After thinking some more about these gates, the foam could help the gate from frosting up, especially in our climate. This doesn’t explain the foam on gates on the interior box though. If it was for sealing, then why didn’t the just put foam on the edges of the gate? Probably shouldn’t get bogged down on this thought.

I recently redid the flap on my 70 series HVAC recirc. I ended up using some foam from Home Depot, made for a home a/c filter. I'd imagine yours is similar thickness? It seemed a little thick at first but because it was slightly more open cell than my OEM, it compressed down just as good when I reinstalled and closed the flap.
PXL_20221231_162742576.jpg

PXL_20230101_131817808.jpg

PXL_20230101_131001730.jpg

I recently redid the flap on my 70 series HVAC recirc. I ended up using some foam from Home Depot, made for a home a/c filter. I'd imagine yours is similar thickness? It seemed a little thick at first but because it was slightly more open cell than my OEM, it compressed down just as good when I reinstalled and closed the flap.
View attachment 3226732
View attachment 3226733
View attachment 3226734
Awesome JDM! I been scouring local stores here and hadn’t found anything, so this is a huge help. What adhesive did you use?

I had the same type issue when rebuilding my 77 heater box/floway- best I could tell was all that ratty foam was only there for noise reduction(as AKPoser relates, it makes no sense as to why it's there as it doesn't "seal" anything--the closed-cell foam around the edges does that)--
given I'm in Fla. I don't need a lot of sealing except to make sure the heater puts heat into the cab when occasionally needed(which we did here this winter(whoa!30degrees in SW Fla??-not happened in the last few yrs anyway--but many yrs back it was way colder than this)-So when I rebuilt, I only used a "camper top" closed cell foam sealer around the edges of the vent flaps/and fresh airflap--peal & stick adhesive--still ok after 10 yrs--but then again--in Fla., so doesn't get a lot of use--except for this year--and my feet were nice and toasty--

))

I just bought adhesive backed strip foam for the sealing edges and a sheet of foam for the door all from Ace. Some 3M spray adhesive to hold door foam sheet in place and that’s it. Done it countless times with great results (ok, 3 times).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom