Gadgets; anyone carrying a portable lithium jump starter box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never not had one work for the task at hand, from small batteries in a SxS to compact cars, full size gassers and even a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel, they always get the job done.

I've got a NOCO, Hulkman, and some energizer branded jumper. I too charge them every 6 months and they've been used multiple times to jump other cars without issue. Quite a handy tool to have!

I have the NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70. It has started my former Tundra 5.7 and V8 4Runner and recently, the VW GTI when its battery died without any problem. It is always with me. It holds its charge for months. It has also saved a couple of neighbors and some fellow off-roaders a few times.
I have same works great.

Nope just jumper cables. I keep them in tailgate in box that was empty. I do have air pump that runs from cigarette lighter.

How do you get to them when your battery is flat and all the power locks are dead?
What is with the physical key for $800 Alex.

What is with the physical key for $800 Alex.
Yes, but once the drivers door is unlocked with the key, how do you get to the panel on the inside of the cargo door to get the cables or jump pack out? If yours is always near empty and you're able contort yourself over the seats to get into the far back, lucky you. Mine has drawers, two secured dog kennels on top of the drawers, and no third row. There is no way to access anything contained in the tailgate storage areas if the power dies. It's all blocked with gear like many of the other rigs I see at LCDC. My point was to encourage people to think this through before the jump pack or cables are the equivalent of checked luggage and are off limits when the battery is dead and it's an emergency situation. Mine is stored between the back of the second row seat and the front of my drawer case. Under the second row seating would probably work too.

Under the second row seating would probably work too.
Yours may be different but if memory serves there is no way one of those is fitting under the second row of my cruiser.

Yes, but once the drivers door is unlocked with the key, how do you get to the panel on the inside of the cargo door to get the cables or jump pack out? If yours is always near empty and you're able contort yourself over the seats to get into the far back, lucky you. Mine has drawers, two secured dog kennels on top of the drawers, and no third row. There is no way to access anything contained in the tailgate storage areas if the power dies. It's all blocked with gear like many of the other rigs I see at LCDC. My point was to encourage people to think this through before the jump pack or cables are the equivalent of checked luggage and are off limits when the battery is dead and it's an emergency situation. Mine is stored between the back of the second row seat and the front of my drawer case. Under the second row seating would probably work too.
where can you store under the second row seats? I'm guessing some sort of access hatch?

I wish that we had room under the second row seats to store items like the jump boxes.

How do you get to them when your battery is flat and all the power locks are dead?
Battery has never been that dead yet. So I have not encountered that issue. Something fun to try, disconnect positive and see it I can open the rear hatch.

I carry a capacitor based jump starter, like this. I like that I don’t have to remember to charge it or worry about batteries in the heat. of course your battery can’t be completely dead, but as long as there is some voltage coming off of the battery then it works well.

Yes I did.

I'll admit I bought the NOCO GBX45 last minute without any research based on branding. For a christmas roadtrip when I found my last unit wouldn't take a charge. It's a tad more powerful than the GB40, and probably enough for the 5.7L, but is not going to win any races in power and reserved next to its competition.

Came across a highly rated Gooloo for a steal of a sale and less than the NOCO, so going to return the NOCO. It has ~3x the reserve of the GBX45 and probably more on par with a NOCO 70. I'll give them both a go side by side next week.

Amazon product ASIN B09CPV8GJY

We have the GBX55 and GBX155. I’m sure there are other great options but I trust the Noco stuff and the newer X models have slight bumps from the original GB models.

I've got the GB40 and I am not to impressed by it for the large Cruiser engines. It couldn't reliably start my 80 when the battery was totally dead. Last week it couldn't start my 200, even though it could detect the batteries. Luckily my 80 and my 200 have dual batteries so I just jump off the aux battery every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom