A pillar gauge pod legality and uses for the pods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apparently here in the fine Australian state of NSW it's illegal to have anything on/near the dash higher than the top of the steering wheel so a-pillar gauge pods are considered illegal, yet there's a stack of Australian made 2 3 even 4 gauge a-pillar pods for sale on Ebay!

For example here's a 2-gauge one:

Even ye olde fluffy dice (or rosary beads if you're a catholic) hanging from the centre mirror are technically illegal.

I was looking at ideas about fitting an extra gauge or several (or similar) for things like monitor main and aux battery voltages, or updating from my watchdog tm2 coolant temp unit, and other funky ideas. Not (yet) having a turbo diesel motor means no need (yet) for an EGT gauge but that's something I'd need if I went down the 1hz+t route.

I have gauges sitting on the shelf ready to go into my HDJ81 but I can't decide on the mounting options.

I have ruled out the pods - they look ridiculous and they have really mixed reviews about how well they fit - including the one you link above.
I have ruled out the popular 14-in-1 gauge - too much extra clutter and don't want to have to hide the keypad.

At the moment I'm thinking 2 x redarc gauges - EGT, boost, water temp, trans temp mounted in angle rings in the shifter surround thing, towards the back where the dash curves down. I'm fine modifying that but i don't want anything stuck to or screwed into the dash. I already have a dual battery monitor mounted to it too.

There's a thread here with a few options too 80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-aftermarket-gauge-choices-mounting-options.1133424/page-2

Gauges that are not visible just by shifting your gaze are close to useless. If you put gauges down by the shifter, also consider an idiot light where you can see it, or buzzer.

Apparently here in the fine Australian state of NSW it's illegal to have anything on/near the dash higher than the top of the steering wheel so a-pillar gauge pods are considered illegal, yet there's a stack of Australian made 2 3 even 4 gauge a-pillar pods for sale on Ebay!

Even ye olde fluffy dice (or rosary beads if you're a catholic) hanging from the centre mirror are technically illegal.

I was looking at ideas about fitting an extra gauge or several (or similar) for things like monitor main and aux battery voltages, or updating from my watchdog tm2 coolant temp unit, and other funky ideas. Not (yet) having a turbo diesel motor means no need (yet) for an EGT gauge but that's something I'd need if I went down the 1hz+t route.

i say color key match the plastic to better Camouflage it and install a BLUE / VIOLET tone LED in each pod device , easy for you to see at night

hard for MAX , Goose and there MFP Interceptors to come and get ya at night .....:D🍻

37DC871D-6430-4132-B951-1921EE54EA17.jpeg

I have gauges sitting on the shelf ready to go into my HDJ81 but I can't decide on the mounting options.

I have ruled out the pods - they look ridiculous and they have really mixed reviews about how well they fit - including the one you link above.
I have ruled out the popular 14-in-1 gauge - too much extra clutter and don't want to have to hide the keypad.

At the moment I'm thinking 2 x redarc gauges - EGT, boost, water temp, trans temp mounted in angle rings in the shifter surround thing, towards the back where the dash curves down. I'm fine modifying that but i don't want anything stuck to or screwed into the dash. I already have a dual battery monitor mounted to it too.

There's a thread here with a few options too 80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-aftermarket-gauge-choices-mounting-options.1133424/page-2

I made my own pod. I haven't added my pyro yet

20220716_191621.jpg

I had A pillar gauges and eventually hated them, specifically after night driving. If you don't know, you'll find out during poor visibility (fog or rain at night) and the bright gauges shining in your eyes.

Lucky for me they were stolen. Now I have some gauges integrated in the instrument cluster but they are still a little bit bright.

I made my own pod. I haven't added my pyro yet

I made my own pod as well.

AM-JKLWTLuZAcNgZUbC6m4TZM59rQuFaO74AZc-kvrM3Q3lVSHjNiBuI3LdfAriIfWsM6Kvrz3V2kuNAnvM2uKVEcXSEF7La1VB7TO2NUybXLuM_EVzPKbedDYXT9M29IeH_tiRoRJEBTFiuf_7WJK8XcPmk=w1900-h1424-no

I have EGT up on the dash though for easy quick viewing. I think I'll be making a pillar pod for the EGT gauge rather than a sicky mount to the dash. You could make one for on top of the steering column if you can't have it above the top of the dash.

I have an old analog Greddy blackface gauge for my EGT readings. I don't find the light from it an issue at all at night. I used to have a Glowshift 3in1 and I did find that a bit bright at night. My gauges down on the center console are a bit bright, but since they are down low they don't bother me. I have similar gauges in my Aristo and they are mounted up on the dash. I definitely find them annoying at night as they are too bright.

I made my own pod as well.

AM-JKLWTLuZAcNgZUbC6m4TZM59rQuFaO74AZc-kvrM3Q3lVSHjNiBuI3LdfAriIfWsM6Kvrz3V2kuNAnvM2uKVEcXSEF7La1VB7TO2NUybXLuM_EVzPKbedDYXT9M29IeH_tiRoRJEBTFiuf_7WJK8XcPmk=w1900-h1424-no

I have EGT up on the dash though for easy quick viewing. I think I'll be making a pillar pod for the EGT gauge rather than a sicky mount to the dash. You could make one for on top of the steering column if you can't have it above the top of the dash.

I have an old analog Greddy blackface gauge for my EGT readings. I don't find the light from it an issue at all at night. I used to have a Glowshift 3in1 and I did find that a bit bright at night. My gauges down on the center console are a bit bright, but since they are down low they don't bother me. I have similar gauges in my Aristo and they are mounted up on the dash. I definitely find them annoying at night as they are too bright.

My diesel is stock so monitoring egt's isn't vital enough to have it all in front of me.

The wideband on my lightning is in the console too. So I'm pretty used to glancing down.
20210311_140338.jpg

That is so ridiculous, your eyes are more on the road with the gauges mounted on the pillar.

Cheers

Gauges that are not visible just by shifting your gaze are close to useless. If you put gauges down by the shifter, also consider an idiot light where you can see it, or buzzer.

This is exactly why I mount my scangauge above the dash.

Cheers

That is so ridiculous, your eyes are more on the road with the gauges mounted on the pillar.

Cheers

In daylight. But what I had was horrible for night driving. Imagine trying to see something deep down in the dark of your engine compartment while someone is shining a light in your eyes.

Driving twisty backroads in the fog and rain, or where there is a ton of large game crossing the road at night, you need your night vision as much as possible.

On the dash isn't so bad, but up higher on the A-pillar I will never do again unless it was something like a sport car mostly driven in the day around town.

Also, what gauges are you constantly watching instead of the highway? I just look at the speed and occasionally temp/fuel/oil. Don't need to look at boost or pyro constantly, maybe if I was hauiing a heavy trailer often I guess.

In daylight. But what I had was horrible for night driving. Imagine trying to see something deep down in the dark of your engine compartment while someone is shining a light in your eyes.

Driving twisty backroads in the fog and rain, or where there is a ton of large game crossing the road at night, you need your night vision as much as possible.

On the dash isn't so bad, but up higher on the A-pillar I will never do again unless it was something like a sport car mostly driven in the day around town.

Also, what gauges are you constantly watching instead of the highway? I just look at the speed and occasionally temp/fuel/oil. Don't need to look at boost or pyro constantly, maybe if I was hauiing a heavy trailer often I guess.

Put the gauge illumination on your dash circuit so you can adjust them at night?

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

i find the ones in your link to work and look very good. i wire them up to the factory rheostat so they are as bright or not bright as you want.

i put a self tapping screw just below the lower gauge, it isnt seen unless you look for it. be aware of the sunroof drain tube..

No-one looks at gauges constantly.
This is why I think having idiot lights or buzzers is a good idea.
Light or buzzer for mission critical stuff like oil pressure, coolant temp etc

Diesel guys, sure watch EGTs and boost when you're hauling a load

Put the gauge illumination on your dash circuit so you can adjust them at night?

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

What about those of us who don't have that option. Lol

When I had them on the pillar in my lightning I ran the green condom on blue bulbs and it dimmed the gauges pretty well.

That said, most gauges aren't really that bright.

This is my isspro at night

20220714_223021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom