just bought my 1st FJ40, 1975 barn find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'll want a radiator overflow bottle. Get compression numbers for the cylinders. You're missing front turn signals and the rear lights are not toyota. Just a few things I see that could be addressed.
Good luck and great find.

Just wondering, how much should I have paid for this? I'm confident I got a great deal but interested in your opinions.

It’s pretty rough, I wouldn’t have paid over 3k, and I would have done that just for the PTO winch

I’m partial to the 75-77 flavor(s). Sage advice^^^ ref:Make it start, make it go, make it stop then the worlds your oyster. I’ve seen rougher starts here on MUD. I totally get the supply chain issues you’re facing. I‘d drop a few sheckles and buy a good set of repair manuals. I like paper myself but you can go digital. They’re worth the investment if you plan on staying in the TLC asylum. Congratulations and good luck w/your new found “obsession”…

@Alaskan Redneck

Just to show you what starting with a ”less than stellar” TLC looks like, hop on over to @Homey15 and have a look at what he pulled out of the weeds. There are dozens of examples on the pages of MUD. If You’re restoration minded have a look at @Jdc1 started with.

Like so many have pointed out, TLC’s are getting harder and harder to find. It’s like a piece of land Brother, if you want it, you better buy it cause “they ain’t maken’ it anymore”. Well, unless you live in Hawaii, then all bets are off….🙄

@Alaskan Redneck

Just to show you what starting with a ”less than stellar” TLC looks like, hop on over to @Homey15 and have a look at what he pulled out of the weeds. There are dozens of examples on the pages of MUD. If You’re restoration minded have a look at @Jdc1 started with.

Like so many have pointed out, TLC’s are getting harder and harder to find. It’s like a piece of land Brother, if you want it, you better buy it cause “they ain’t maken’ it anymore”. Well, unless you live in Hawaii, then all bets are off….🙄
Clean it up and have fun with it. You can always restore it somewhere down the the line.

I spent 2019-2021 returning a 1980 Jeep CJ7 to factory original. As close to a full restoration as you can without removing the tub, dash and steering. I had a mechanics help but then the body work was all on me. In doing that I found something I really enjoyed. The goal with the FJ40 is just to replace the stuff that's liable to leave me on the side of the road, then spend the next year or so restoring the body as I tool around town in it. That's the fun part for me. With the CJ, I never drove it until it was completely done but on this I want to be able to use it while I do the body work. Once its ready for paint then Ill have to do that all in one whack. If I find that I don't actually like it then I'll probably let it go before I get to paint but at least I will have saved another classic from the scrap heap.

I've also got a 1986 Suburban K20 conversion (4 captains chairs, extended roof) that I've had for 20 years and has just under 100k miles on it. In 2017 I drove it 4300 miles from MS to AK towing an enclosed trailer for my new life in Alaska. Its in perfect mechanical shape but it needs a paint job as well. And a 2000 Ram 1500 and 98 BMW 328i convertible. Both with about 100k miles on them. So I guess you could say I'm into old cars.

Last edited:
I spent 2019-2021 returning a 1980 Jeep CJ7 to factory original. As close to a full restoration as you can without removing the tub, dash and steering. I had a mechanics help but then the body work was all on me. In doing that I found something I really enjoyed. The goal with the FJ40 is just to replace the stuff that's liable to leave me on the side of the road, then spend the next year or so restoring the body as a tool around town in it. That's the fun part for me. With the CJ, I never drove it until it was completely done but on this I want to be able to use it while I do the body work. Once its ready for paint then Ill have to do that all in one whack. If I find that I don't actually like it then I'll probably let it go before I get to paint but at least I will have saved another classic from the scrap heap.

I've also got a 1986 Suburban K20 conversion (4 captains chairs, extended roof) that I've had for 20 years and has just under 100k miles on it. In 2017 I drove it 4300 miles from MS to AK towing an enclosed trailer for my new life in Alaska. Its in perfect mechanical shape but it needs a paint job as well. And a 2000 Ram 1500 and 98 BMW 328i convertible. Both with about 100k miles on them. So I guess you could say I'm into old cars.
I have made the unfortunate mistake of surrounding myself with people with a bad habit of collecting old 4x4s, and I have a feeling it’s wearing off on me

I was really impressed with the the test drive. It started, idled, accelerated, turned, stopped... Put it in low range. Everything worked great. Since then its just been sitting in the driveway Since August because I just moved and it wasn't the top priority. But when I cranked it up last week to take it down to the shop for new tires, it ran terribly. Very limited power. Had to downshift and floor it to get up a hill. Had the mechanic give it the once over and we both knew the next step was belts, hoses, dizzy... That's why I got on here to ask the question. Since I'm taking it in to have all of that done, and he's already under the hood, what else?
I’d be interested in the floor mat? Do you have any other pictures as it’s hard to see condition and how is the passengers side? Thanks

I’d be interested in the floor mat? Do you have any other pictures as it’s hard to see condition and how is the passengers side? Thanks
Ill reach back out to you when I’m ready to get rid of them but that’s likely to be 6-12 months out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom