New 100 series owner. What is this part called and how do I fix the leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am green when it comes to vehicle maintenance, but want to make sure to fix all the issues on my new 2003 LX470. Can anyone tell me what this part is called and if it is common for it to leak?

IMG_0254.jpg

That’s the flywheel cover. That’s not the exact area where the leak is coming from. The leak/weep is coming from the “Rear Main Seal”. Only way to get that leak fixed is to drop the transmission to access the RMS.

looks like the window on the bellhousing
you can remove the bolt and the window and try and see if the leak is on the engine side, engine oil
or
transmission side, trans oil

any leakage around the oil pan?
any sign of leakage coming from up higher?

I don't notice anything leaking up higher. I will have to dig a little bit to see. There's a mess down there because the power steering pump was just replaced and the hoses leaked everywhere. I assume it's oil because of the color. There is for sure some maintenance to do. I am trying to get everything back to baseline and keep it as mechanically sound as possible.

FullSizeR.jpg

found some threads that seem to tackle this. Good chance it’s the valve cover gasket, oil pan leak, or RMS. Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

I got the valve in where I can see the VCG. This photo of the passenger side looks like an active weep from the passenger side at the back three bolts. Anyone else concur this may be a good place to start?

44809277-BEF0-436C-933E-0FA3E54D6853.jpeg

752FEABD-E44C-412C-ABDC-2F365A7AD62F.jpeg

I got the skid plates off and started to clean underneath. Here’s what the back of the valve cover on the passenger side looks like.
A0D41FE5-4D2F-4FEA-AB34-E29E1CFB8CE6.jpeg

I don't notice anything leaking up higher. I will have to dig a little bit to see. There's a mess down there because the power steering pump was just replaced and the hoses leaked everywhere. I assume it's oil because of the color. There is for sure some maintenance to do. I am trying to get everything back to baseline and keep it as mechanically sound as possible.

View attachment 3223180
You should get those looked at....

1674155607042.png

That’s your body giving you a sign…lol

Ok. Next topic. Check engine light was on for a P0420 code. Thought it may be able to be fixed by changing the O2 sensors. Swapped all four, drove 15 miles, and the light is back on. Catalytic converters? Have any of you had to have them replaced? Easy to do DIY?

For VC gaskets, just snug up the bolts, more than likely gaskets is fine.
For P0420, fire up the Techstream and see what the fuel trims are (both long term and short term)

I don’t have tech stream. Only a good old fashioned visit to Oreilly’s to use

Sweet. Thanks for that techstream link @Jram100 . So, when I get it, what exactly am I looking for? Are there other issues with the P0420 code that will keep me from needing catalytic converters?

Also, props to @ClassyJalopy for the idea to just snug the bolts on the VCG. A couple of the lower end on the passenger side were not even finger tight. Tightened them up on both sides, cleaned up as much of the junk as I could, and I will watch it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom