Best diesel swaps for 80 series? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a OM

I have a om617 in my ‘82 300td wagon. Any info on that motor put into an 80? That would be a cool build.
No. Its slow.

I had a 1HD-T Toyota diesel installed in an 80 series I bought for the purpose- a nice, rust free Western truck. I've been driving it about 2-3 years and improving it as I go. I'm very happy with it.
Jim,
Just out of curiosity, how much did you have to pay for your 1HD-T? What all was involved with changing out wiring, etc. Does it mate up with the existing auto trans bellhousing? Have you had any issues finding somebody to work on it (since they were never sold in the US)?

No such thing as an easy or cheap swap. It all depends on how loud your wallet is allowed to scream :flipoff2:

The OM617 / OM606 MB engines seem like they *might* barely be able to move a bloated 7k pig like the 80. What am I missing here? My 1990 300E gasser engine has more HP (less torque) than either of these two diesel engines and you want to put them in a Landcruiser? How much can you "turn" up the fuel on the diesel engines to actually break the 250+ hp/300 FT-LB of torque to justify the effort and expense of swapping into a landcruiser?

M103 petrol
1674062581542.png

OM617
1674062454901.png

OM606
1674062377197.png

Last edited:
No such thing as an easy or cheap swap. It all depends on how loud your wallet is allowed to scream :flipoff2:

The OM617 / OM606 MB engines seem like they *might* barely be able to move a bloated 7k pig like the 80. What am I missing here? My 1990 300E gasser engine has more HP (less torque) than either of these two diesel engines and you want to put them in a Landcruiser? How much can you "turn" up the fuel on the diesel engines to actually break the 250+ hp/300 FT-LB of torque to justify the effort and expense of swapping into a landcruiser?

W124 chassis, 300E
View attachment 3222890

OM617
View attachment 3222888

OM606
View attachment 3222885
I'm happy with the performance of my Series 80 with the 1HD-T engine and automatic transmission in it. The fuel mileage is good, especially for a large heavy vehicle which is not aerodynamic. I think the swap using a Toyota diesel makes the most sense, but maybe the new compact Cummins engines are a good fit, too- I don't know as I didn't consider it. I've owned several Mercedes with the iron block diesels, the 4 and 5 cylinder ones. They would be inferior to the 1HD-T in my opinion- not enough torque. But that's just an opinion, not based on actually driving one.

W124 chassis, 300E
View attachment 3222890

OM617
View attachment 3222888

OM606
View attachment 3222885
The OM606 at least has similar power output to a stock 1HD-T/FT which get around just fine. Still - with the factory diesel engines able to be sourced relatively easily I'm not sure why someone would go for a Mercedes engine unless they really have an affinity for them. I would always be concerned about having proprietary adapters, etc involved if the plan is to keep and use a vehicle for many years/miles.

W124 chassis, 300E
View attachment 3222890

OM617
View attachment 3222888

OM606
View attachment 3222885
You should look into OM606 a bit deeper before you rule it out as a viable candidate.
With an upgraded injector pump ( 7.5mm ) and a larger turbo it can produce close to 500hp and more than enough torque to move the 80s LC
and still get way better gas mileage than any gas engine.
Just my $.02

You should look into OM606 a bit deeper before you rule it out as a viable candidate.
With an upgraded injector pump ( 7.5mm ) and a larger turbo it can produce close to 500hp and more than enough torque to move the 80s LC
and still get way better gas mileage than any gas engine.
Just my $.02

This is good info and I didn't rule MB engines out. I did ask if it's possible to crank up the fuel to get a bloated landcruiser moving nicely. Sounds like a larger turbo and a bigger lift pump will make an OM engine produce some real #s. Then again, same mods can be done to a Toyota 1HD-xx engines as well to achieve higher hp/torque values.

The answer to the OP's question in terms of the "best diesel" conversion for an 80 simply boils down to how much $$$ he has to spend on a conversion.

Duramax conversion in 80 series

It might be helpful for the OP (and for other inquiring minds like mine) if we shared some potential prices for each engine option (including turbos and lift pump upgrades). I'm sure any of us could do start from scratch and figure it out, but if you guys have info that you're willing to share I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person that would appreciate it. Thanks

The engine is on OEM Mercedes motor mounts with custom mounts on the frame.

For transmission I‘ve used an Srt8 Jeep transmission ( which is a Mercedes transmission ) that can handle a lot of power and have provision for a transfer case.
Direct bolt on to the engine with the right bell housing.

The only adapter is between the transmission and the transfer case.
I’ve designed and made the adapter and had the transfer case input shaft machined at a local shop with the right spline for the transmission.

For fueling, just took the OEM fuel pump out of the tank and made a pick-up and return line that fits in the same place. Also installed an inline fuel pump just in case I run out of fuel and need to prime the fuel lines. ( not really needed, just a precautionary measure )
The Mercedes injection pump has a mechanical fuel pump on it that can handle the fuel delivery from the fuel tank.

The injection pump is mechanical from an om603 engine with
a 7.5 mm Dieselmeken element.
The turbo is a Holset Hx35 twin scroll with a QSV in the header for
better response.

It’s really nice to have that much power when you need it and have the gas mileage that comes with it. ( around 23-24 Miles/Gallon )

Mercedes power steering pump, with custom HP line to the box.

The radiator is the biggest aluminum radiator that fits in there.

The intercooler is from a turbo diesel Ford van, and the charge and discharge piping lined up really nicely. ( with a custom made intake manifold )

I asked LA Z a few questions over PM, very impressive swap

I asked LA Z a few questions over PM, very impressive swap
Interesting what you say about the radiator. The shop which did the Toyota diesel swap oin my Series 80 left the original radiator for the truck in place. (my Series 80 began life as a USA-spec gas engined Cruiser) The radiator cools too well. In winter I have to block it off so the engine will come up to temp. The right thermostat is in it. I wonder if Toyota fitted a smaller radiator to Series 80 diesels in Japan and ROW; diesels produce less waste heat than do gasoline engines, I think, and the gas radiator may be too large. I also rercently fitted an oil pan heater, so that it's warmer when it starts up.

Interesting what you say about the radiator. The shop which did the Toyota diesel swap oin my Series 80 left the original radiator for the truck in place. (my Series 80 began life as a USA-spec gas engined Cruiser) The radiator cools too well. In winter I have to block it off so the engine will come up to temp. The right thermostat is in it. I wonder if Toyota fitted a smaller radiator to Series 80 diesels in Japan and ROW; diesels produce less waste heat than do gasoline engines, I think, and the gas radiator may be too large. I also rercently fitted an oil pan heater, so that it's warmer when it starts up.

@LA Z would have to weigh in to be sure, but he could have gone with it partially because of the water inlet/outlet locations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom