Full Float Rear Axle Rotor Studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads

Last edited:

Here use Mega zip and look it up. You could also use SOR site to look. they may have them.

Here use Mega zip and look it up. You could also use SOR site to look. they may have them.

Man, that is one awesome source! I had no clue that even existed. I really appreciate it!

Before you order wheel studs select your wheels. If you stay with steel wheels you may get away with factory length wheel studs. If you go with aluminum wheels you will probably need longer studs.

Before you order wheel studs select your wheels. If you stay with steel wheels you may get away with factory length wheel studs. If you go with aluminum wheels you will probably need longer studs.

Thanks. I will be going with OEM steel wheels.

Curious where you ordered FF axle from ?

The only place I could find one was Cruiserparts in New Hampshire, but I would NOT recommend them. I ordered the FF axle, 2 full sets of wheels, and a rear disc brake conversion kit. Every single thing on the order was messed up. I mean, every-single-thing. One set of wheels I ordered, was a set of 16" split rims. They were so rusted and pitted that I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't even feel remotely safe putting them on a vehicle. I literally would not want them, even if they were free. I told them I don't want them, and I've been waiting since Thursday for a response.

I also ordered a set of OEM 15" wheels. They didn't even send them. They completely forgot. (of course, they didn't forget to charge me for them, though.) They told me today that they have issued a credit for those, but I haven't seen it yet.

They didn't bother to tell me that they get their rear disc break kits from JT Outfitters. If I had know, I wouldn't have ordered it from them. I'm not a fan of JT Outfitters. Not to mention, the kit was missing the calipers.

The best thing out of the bunch, was the FF axle. However, they didn't bother mentioning that the axles and hubs had been replaced. That is something I would really have liked to know beforehand. Also, at some point, it looks like someone cut into the housing with a cutoff wheel and it was welded back. (horrible repair job) So, I'm going to have to grind all that down and re-weld it. The breather plug on top of the housing was missing for who knows how long. So that means there is probably water inside the housing. Lastly, as indicated in the beginning of this thread, they didn't bother to mention that there were no studs for the drums. (or rotors in my case) The whole thing has just been a real s*** show, and it's not over yet. To top it off, it's nearly impossible to get them to answer the phone or return an email. Once I'm finished, this will be my last experience with them.

I've got a question for those who might know. I ordered a 40 series full floating rear axle, and when it came in, I could tell some of the parts were not OEM. It had Nitro Axles in it. (which is a good thing, I guess) Also, it looked to me like the hubs were not factory. (all of the brake components had been removed.) All this being said, there were no studs for the rotor to go on when I do my disc brake conversion. Does anyone know the part number of the studs I need to source?

View attachment 3222184

View attachment 3222186

View attachment 3222187

i do ............

WARNING :
This TECH Video Contains " RACKET " by the Brian Jones Town Mascarae

Last edited:
Great video, except for all the racket in the background. He did end up showing the wheel stud part number at the end of the video. I also found it on Megazip, thanks to Ry24000.

Just for the sake of conversation, the guy at Cruiserparts told me this FF axle came out of a '78 model. When it came in, it had "HJ47" written on top of it with a paint pen.

Just for the sake of conversation, the guy at Cruiserparts told me this FF axle came out of a '78 model. When it came in, it had "HJ47" written on top of it with a paint pen.

That is not a 78 axle. That is a +8/80 axle.

Which is good because I would also highly recommend you go with the matching drums for that axle. All parts available new OEM, best Cruiser handbrake, and it will all bolt together, I can get you set up with everything you need

Doesn't surprise me that he told me wrong. Just for my own knowledge, how can you tell the difference?

Did you mean to say drums? Are you talking about rotors that are also drums for the handbrake?

When I did a full float conversion I used adapter flanges from FROR and machined the backside to fit the flanges on the axle housing. Had the flanges on the housing turned to make them round to make welding easier.

I used front spindles, and wheel hubs to build it out with drive flanges. The adapter flanges had the mounting tabs for Toyota FJ40 calipers and used FJ40 front rotors. Today I put the tires to make it better to haul the assembly to the machine shop in my truck.

1674006489435.jpeg

When I did a full float conversion I used adapter flanges from FROR and machined the backside to fit the flanges on the axle housing. Had the flanges on the housing turned to make them round to make welding easier.

I used front spindles, and wheel hubs to build it out with drive flanges. The adapter flanges had the mounting tabs for Toyota FJ40 calipers and used FJ40 front rotors. Today I put the tires to make it better to haul the assembly to the machine shop in my truck.

This is not pertinent information to @suzuguru question at all. He has a original Full-float, not a conversion.

This is not pertinent information to @suzuguru question at all. He has a original Full-float, not a conversion.
Well from the photos it looked there was not way to mount a calliper to the housing and not sure if drum brakes would work with that set up.

Doesn't surprise me that he told me wrong. Just for my own knowledge, how can you tell the difference?

Did you mean to say drums? Are you talking about rotors that are also drums for the handbrake?

I can tell by the 4-bolt mounting flange.
Yes, I meant to say drums. Full size 12" drum, single self-adjusting wheel cylinder.
I have set up a ton of 40's this way and it works awesome. They are still used on new Land Cruiser's today. Would love to help you get set up with everything you'd need.

I think you could also use the 99-up 70 series disc/drum combo but those backing plates are hard to find.

Well from the photos it looked there was not way to mount a calliper to the housing and not sure if drum brakes would work with that set up.

It's a Land Cruiser axle. Of course drum brakes work on it. That's what came on it originally.

I can tell by the 4-bolt mounting flange.
Yes, I meant to say drums. Full size 12" drum, single self-adjusting wheel cylinder.
I have set up a ton of 40's this way and it works awesome. They are still used on new Land Cruiser's today. Would love to help you get set up with everything you'd need.

I think you could also use the 99-up 70 series disc/drum combo but those backing plates are hard to find.

I'm definitely not going back with drums. I'm going to do a disc brake conversion of some sort. I would like to stay with Toyota parts, but it looks like the simple way to go, is the kit that uses the caliper mounts shown below. I'm not opposed at all to making a purchase from you, if there is a good kit that utilizes Toyota parts, that is fairly straight forward.

IMG_1937.jpg

Cruisermatt- he has an original FF housing, don't look like much else is OEM. IMO the 9.5 chunk is not up to the task/driving that most people who install FF do.

IMO the 9.5 chunk is not up to the task/driving that most people who install FF do.
How can you say that? Thousands of FZJ owners and wheelers would disagree with you....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom