1992 FJ80 Seat Belts & Carseats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out the best way to secure the kiddos. We've got two and a 3rd on the way.

First, my seat belts do not ratchet when pulled out all the way. Is this the way the 1992 FJ80 came or do I have an issue?

Second, tethers anchor points. My FJ80 doesn't have them. What are my options here? It seems that there is little parts support in Canada from Toyota. My rig is an American import and Toyota in Canada will not service them.

I'd love some information to keep the little ones safe.

Thanks!

I bought the seat belt tensioners for car seats. I got them of Amazon you just use your normal shoulder seat belt and the tensioner pulls it super tight and locks it in place to hold the car seat.

First, my seat belts do not ratchet when pulled out all the way. Is this the way the 1992 FJ80 came or do I have an issue?
That’s they way they were made. Seatbelts with locking retractors weren’t standard in US vehicles until 1996.

To lock those seatbelts in place, you’ll need to install a seatbelt lock after pulling the belt as tight as possible (<1” side to side movement of the car seat): Amazon product ASIN B005PK1D1A
Second, tethers anchor points. My FJ80 doesn't have them. What are my options here?
Don’t need the tether anchors, but Toyota sells a retrofit kit that you can buy from Partsouq, etc.

Don’t need the tether anchors, but Toyota sells a retrofit kit that you can buy from Partsouq, etc.
Do you have any more information on this? I googled my butt off and can't find an 80 series tether retrofit kit.

Do you have any more information on this? I googled my butt off and can't find an 80 series tether retrofit kit.
It’s not 80 series-specific, just Toyota-specific. Here’s info about the program: https://carseat.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/656Tether2-10-21-1.pdf

Or you can just buy the parts yourself and install them: 73709-12010

1673926160523.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. Now I don't need to take my seatbelts apart hoping cleaning would fix it.

Seatbelt locks ordered. Partsouq.com saved.

I'll have more fun posts after I get the little things fixed. She's a great rig. Bone stock. She's so stock the shocks where original. She only had 107,000 miles on her and was a clear pavement princess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom