2L hard start, blowing smoke, and bad miss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve been having this issue in my main swap thread. Basically, I had the motor rebuilt, along with new injectors. Before the rebuild, the engine ran fine, though every couple weeks it would randomly die on me at highway speeds. I rebuilt it because the belt slipped and the valves got messed up, while it was apart, we found out piston #2 had melted.

Anyways, it won’t start without the glow plugs, it’ll start to catch but barely run, throttle doesn’t do anything except keep it from stalling. After like 30 seconds it’ll smooth out enough to idle, but it’ll blow white/blue smoke and miss really bad, the whole engine shakes. There’s a noticeable bog when I stab the throttle.

I’ve replaced the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel filter housing, injectors, and there’s fresh winter diesel in the tank. I’ve bled the system countless times. I’ll leave a few videos up and hopefully we can figure this out. The last thing I can think of is replacing the injector pump as I know it leaks a bit.

This is how it starts, sorry the video is sideways.

Right after that video, I shut it off for about 20 seconds, then fired it up again, and it ran perfectly fine.

I took it on the road and I could immediately tell it was low on power. Was blowing blue pretty bad, I made it to the end of the road and it lost all power and stalled. I waited a minute and cranked it, took a good 20 seconds, started with a big plume of dark grey smoke. I made it about 20 meters then it died again. I then just walked home and got the truck to tow it back. It seems to lose its prime overnight but there’s no leaks other then the pump itself. I’m truly stumped and kinda wish I just spend the rebuild money on a 3rz swap.

Ahh so this is what the number 1 injector looks like. These are brand new and I’ve run the engine for probably 30 minutes total time😬
CE860C83-F903-40EF-A544-4127CB7E02B8.png

Did you use brand new crush washers at the nozzles in the cylinder head when you installed the new injectors? Usually they keep the soot from doing that. You need new washers everytime you put the injectors in.

Did you use brand new crush washers at the nozzles in the cylinder head when you installed the new injectors? Usually they keep the soot from doing that. You need new washers everytime you put the injectors in.
Ahh. I did not. Whoops.

I just ordered new rings from the dealership. Should be here in a week. We'll see if that fixes the issue.

I just ordered new rings from the dealership. Should be here in a week. We'll see if that fixes the issue.

I learned this the hard way also. You should also have your injectors cleaned and re-tested. When the nozzles get fouled and overheat that way, it can throw them out permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom