Real time help needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I changed my fuel filter about an hour ago, but now the vehicle won’t start. I’m stuck out at my shop, and can’t figure out what the issue is. I disconnected the fuel pump connector in preparation of draining the fuel lines. However when I went to start the car to Drain the fuel lines, it wouldn’t start. I thought it was odd because everything I’ve read says the car will start and then die. Mine didn’t do this, but I moved forward anyways. I changed the fuel filter and it still won’t start. The fuel filter is an oem replacement. I’m wondering if there are plastic caps on the new filter to protect the threads that I missed (but to me this doesn’t make sense because I was able to get the banjo bolts in. Thanks in advance for help. Please text me if you can provide any insight. I’m desperate. 608 658 7483.

Are you sure the fuel pump connection was reconnected? do you hear the fuel pump relay click when the key is put into the “On” position?

Im trying to disconnect it again to make sure it’s connected correctly, but I’m having trouble disconnecting it again. Where should I listen for the fuel pump relay?

23722679-89D2-47B7-B6A9-30E15110EF89.jpeg

I would also turn they key to on (without starting the truck) several times to prime the fuel system and build pressure.

Looking at that pic, you might need to verify that connector is not damaged now.

Pin 6 should be positive from what I see in the FSM. This is for testing the pump but I imagine putting a volt meter on the plug should show 12V.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.03.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I checked the FSm and I’m hearing a click from under the hood when I turn the key to “on”. I’m assuming this is the fuel pump relay. If this is in fact the fuel pump relay, would that mean the pin 6 on the connector is not bad?

I never disconnected the fuel Pump wiring to change the filter. That connector doesn’t look To be on top of the tank but rather by a forward body mount maybe ? It’s not turned 90
Degrees is it (doubt it would fit)

I shouldn’t have disconnected it. This id what the fsm shows.

image.jpg

I would also turn they key to on (without starting the truck) several times to prime the fuel system and build pressure.
The 80's fuel pump logic is that the pump will not run unless the engine is cranking or running. Turning the key to on without starting doesn't do anything for the fuel system on an 80. (It does on the majority of vehicles)

i finally got the connector disconnected again.

Looking at that pic, you might need to verify that connector is not damaged now.

Pin 6 should be positive from what I see in the FSM. This is for testing the pump but I imagine putting a volt meter on the plug should show 12V.

View attachment 3220503
I finally got the connector disconnected again. It looks like I’m missing a pin. Is this supposed to be missing??

04817BFA-0568-48F5-BA4A-CC53D58B66A6.jpeg

The 80's fuel pump logic is that the pump will not run unless the engine is cranking or running. Turning the key to on without starting doesn't do anything for the fuel system on an 80. (It does on the majority of vehicles)
Thanks, good to know. Too many diesel truck fuel filter changes and I just assumed everything worked that way,

i finally got the connector disconnected again.

I finally got the connector disconnected again. It looks like I’m missing a pin. Is this supposed to be missing??

View attachment 3220526
Are there any wires going to the back side of either half of the plug at that position?

No wire for the female side (the plug in the picture) but there is a wire for the male side.

I was trying to look up this connector in the EWD. This is the fuel pump connector under the 2nd row seat, right?

I'm not able to match it up in the EWD I have. Look at connector F18 and it might make more sense to you.

If you only have 1 wire missing on one half of the connector and the colors match on both ends, you may be able to patch this until you can get new terminals.

Thanks for trying to help on a Sunday night. I have one last question. If i am in fact hearing the pump relay click, would that mean the connector is good?

I'm not able to match it up in the EWD I have. Look at connector F18 and it might make more sense to you.

If you only have 1 wire missing on one half of the connector and the colors match on both ends, you may be able to patch this until you can get new terminals.
Whoa. If there's no wire in the loom behind the plug, there was never a wire in the plug. If you find a loose wire, by all means check the EWD and patch it in. Otherwise, don't just start connecting random wires together.

Thanks for trying to help on a Sunday night. I have one last question. If i am in fact hearing the pump relay click, would that mean the connector is good?
I don’t think so. The click means the relay has power, and a control wire is telling it to engage / close and send power downstream. If that connector is downstream of the relay, which I think it is, then you would still have a problem.

Whoa. If there's no wire in the loom behind the plug, there was never a wire in the plug. If you find a loose wire, by all means check the EWD and patch it in. Otherwise, don't just start connecting random wires together.
I believe there’s a broken wire and an empty terminal where a wire once was. I was trying to locate this connector in the EWD but a few things are not adding up.

Holy s*** everyone, it’s running. I ended up redoing the entire fuel filter process and it started up after the first try. I think it was the connector, but I don’t care at this point. Thanks to everyone for helping out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom