Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No sense letting fear and common sense stop you now that you have come this far!! :rofl::bounce2::p
Haha your not wrong there!!

Ya interesting about the oil change recommendations. The sticker does say 10,000kms or 12months depending on kms etc.

I am also interested in sending my oil away to get it checked. Not sure what cost is involved in that but it would certainly be the tell all.

Haha your not wrong there!!

Ya interesting about the oil change recommendations. The sticker does say 10,000kms or 12months depending on kms etc.

I am also interested in sending my oil away to get it checked. Not sure what cost is involved in that but it would certainly be the tell all.
Let me know what the cost is. I might be interested in sending mine for an analysis if it does not require a 2nd mortgage. My cruiser is coming up on around 260,000kms, so now that it is broken in, it would be nice to know what it would say. Not sure yours would be worth it yet? What do you have on it? maybe 20,000kms??

Let me know what the cost is. I might be interested in sending mine for an analysis if it does not require a 2nd mortgage. My cruiser is coming up on around 260,000kms, so now that it is broken in, it would be nice to know what it would say. Not sure yours would be worth it yet? What do you have on it? maybe 20,000kms??
I think it's worth doing. Still Blackstone labs?

I tend to base my oil changes on use case. On my daily drive I get a full warm up, an hour at 110 or so kms/h and then shut down. No start/stop, not a lot of up and down speeds. Unless temps are extreme, i consider this very easy on the oil, and i push the interval longer than a trip where I'm climbing passes, getting lots of revs, etc. Then my interval gets way shorter. I also use synth every time.

I've been wanting to send mine in for a while. I vote @Rigster as the guinea pig/test mule! 🤣

And yes. good point made about newer and more advanced oil formulae. What they used new in my 91 isn't quite what you can buy today.

Last edited:
I think it's worth doing. Still Blackstone labs?

I tend to base my oil changes on use case. On my daily drive I get a full warm up, an hour at 110 or so kms/h and then shut down. No start/stop, not a lot of up and down speeds. Unless temps are extreme, i consider this very easy on the oil, and i push the interval longer than a trip where I'm climbing passes, getting lots of revs, etc. Then my interval gets way shorter. I also use synth every time.

I've been wanting to send mine in for a while. I vote @Rigster as the guinea pig/test mule! 🤣

And yes. good point made about newer and more advanced oil formulae. What they used new in my 91 isn't quite what you can buy today.
I think so as well. Rigster has a good point of mine being such low kms but the analysis I think would still be helpful and my curiosity will get the best of me. I am currently running 5w40 full synthetic diesel liquid Molly and more recently 5w40 T6 full synthetic diesel formula. Planning on pushing closer to 10,000kms though I’m sure some will disagree. Oil tech is not what it was 20yrs ago.

Blackstone is what was recommended to me but amsoil also has a home kit you can buy though I am tempted to go with blackstone.

Time will tell!

I used Blackstone to do an analysis at my last oil change, it cost $40 (USD). Here is an example of the kind of results they send:
4FD09DAD-AECB-4291-AAAC-17574A569CD3.jpeg

Also, if you do multiple analyses through them on the same vehicle they will monitor any wear trends. I plan to send in another sample at my next oil change to see if things are holding constant.

Have not done much on the truck lately. All the parts are ready and waiting in the garage for the roof conversion as well as adding a rear window but realistically that will be a spring job.

I had noticed a little rub on my OME rear shocks and got in touch with ARB. They had me sorted quickly and new ones on the way in no time. Excellent customer service.

Family and I did get out for the Christmas tree retrieval which was a success!

9FD0FA77-4B00-416C-96DE-72AABAB9EA3F.jpeg

E06A5819-7D39-440F-B3AA-7DB3997A3690.jpeg

Have not done much on the truck lately. All the parts are ready and waiting in the garage for the roof conversion as well as adding a rear window but realistically that will be a spring job.

I had noticed a little rub on my OME rear shocks and got in touch with ARB. They had me sorted quickly and new ones on the way in no time. Excellent customer service.

View attachment 3191959

View attachment 3191960
Just running the steelies for winter?

View attachment 3191959

View attachment 3191960
This is the best looking tray I have see with all the fire truck conversions! I was going to make my own, but now I am re-thinking this! Thank you for posting this!

Would love to get a set for my truck. Can you please share the info.
Thx
Yeah they were just off of AliExpress believe it or not. Quality is fantastic and definitely something all 70's owners should install!

BTW hour truck looks great. I share alot of you input on here. I'm in Ontario are started my 2001 Hzj79 Fire truck conversion a couple years ago

View attachment 3220441

View attachment 3220442

View attachment 3220443
Fantastic! It is bizarre to see an identical 79 as mine. Hah right down to the pin striping!

Did you raptor line the side steps? Mine are slippery and ive nearly caught my teeth on the A pillar. Think I will raptor line them for a little extra grip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom