91 FJ80 Starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Lately I’ve been having issues starting my 91. I was getting no cranking, and no click when I turned the key, but my ammeter was showing voltage and all my accessory were still getting power. One time while turning the key, all of the sudden everything just got power cut from it. Now no accessories working, and no reading on the ammeter/ none of the gauges are moving. I went and got the battery checked, and it’s fully charged and is a good battery. I have a fusible link on the way to eliminate that, any ideas in the meantime what it could be or where to look/how to diagnose it?

Check all the fuses, and until you get the fusible link, you can remove the old one [ones] and check them for continuity. You can replace the old bad fusible with a piece of approx 5-10 amp wire temporarily , but watch it , if there's a short, it will get hot quickly.
good luck

Last edited:
Check all the fuses, and until you get the fusible link, you can remove the old one [ones] and check them for continuity. You can replace the old bad fusible with a piece of approx 5-10 amp wire temporarily , but watch it , if there's a short, it will get hot quickly.
good luck
This is very very bad advice. Please don't do this.
Considering that the lowest rating of the 3 fusible links is 30 amps, your 5-10 amp wire will burn, possibly causing a fire.

the low amp wire is for testing for shorts only. 5-10 amps is used to protect the rest of the harness.
But yes non flameproof wire can catch fire, so when testing you have to watch it and get ready to snip it.

the low amp wire is for testing for shorts only. 5-10 amps is used to protect the rest of the harness.
But yes non flameproof wire can catch fire, so when testing you have to watch it and get ready to snip it.
Once again, extraordinarily bad idea.

If a fusible pops , testing for a short must be done or it will just pop the new fusible. There are better ways of testing, an inline fuse for example.
Yes. But without knowing what the nominal current draw of the all the circuits downstream of the fusible link in question are SUPPOSED to be, and what the peak current draw SHOULD be, you're just farting in the wind and possibly causing a fire.
How about using a meter as opposed to playing silly games?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom