FJ62 Transmission Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the install steps

I’m not sure why they post out of order

Note the page sequence numbers please …

81FE3EE5-8D13-412B-A16D-0C20EA5D8A8A.jpeg
A0108E2C-02E4-4DA0-A4A2-310BD2DBD0A4.jpeg
560C1F30-E878-4BDF-BDCC-81A0C49091D1.jpeg
22E99B3E-3B5E-4CB0-96CA-F6B986DA0E1A.jpeg
22C10015-1176-475A-A976-1762AD9F82B7.jpeg

233042B5-9EBD-4744-94EC-A4D338FF298E.jpeg

270C909F-3047-4476-8505-0CFC4F30EFF6.jpeg

@ToyotaMatt , how many firstborns would you need to part with an FSM for an '87 60? :hillbilly:

what TOYOTA Material Distribution Publication # in particular do you need ?

or

PM me a screen shot of it's front outside cover , there are dozens of various specialized topic ones for a 1987 FJ60 .....

as this is my new T-TEn padawan apprentice's TECH. thread 💫 , and i wish not to take away from his important

training he is now undergoing .....

thanks

DSCN0683 - Copy - Copy1.png

Last edited:
what TOYOTA Material Distribution Publication # in particular do you need ?

or

PM me a screen shot of it's front outside cover , there are dozens of various specialized topic ones for a 1987 FJ60 .....

as this is my new T-TEn padawan apprentice's TECH. thread 💫 , and i wish not to take away from his important

training he is now undergoing .....

thanks

matt, i was asking if you would be willing sell me paper copies of any or all FSMs related to FJ60s. '87 in particular. i have none n my computure/google foo is more like poo :hillbilly:
how many different manuals are there for an '87?

matt, i was asking if you would be willing sell me paper copies of any or all FSMs related to FJ60s. '87 in particular. i have none n my computure/google foo is more like poo :hillbilly:
how many different manuals are there for an '87?

PM me please to chat further about this ...

thanks

Thanks to @ToyotaMatt the transmission removal has been going very smooth. It’s really not that hard of a job.

I Started by draining all of the the fluids (transfer case, transmission and coolant). Next I took off the transmission kick down cable, and finally I got around to removing the shifter, and then the transmission cover.

Taking apart the interior really isn’t a lot of work, but it can be tedious, however, to any viewers, its 100% worth taking off the transmission cover, it makes accessing everything so much easier.

The hardest part of the whole thing, was learning how to take off the carpet by lifting it off the two vertical hooks keeping it tight under the dashboard.

P.S

Having a fuzzy German Shepard helping you doesn’t help and has proven to be a distraction.

37ED6BB1-C236-4DE6-BA0E-6AAD076CAF3F.jpeg

99D5F7A2-8CA4-4BAF-A2E9-AB77ABE7EE54.jpeg

Thanks to @ToyotaMatt the transmission removal has been going very smooth. It’s really not that hard of a job.

I Started by draining all of the the fluids (transfer case, transmission and coolant). Next I took off the transmission kick down cable, and finally I got around to removing the shifter, and then the transmission cover.

Taking apart the interior really isn’t a lot of work, but it can be tedious, however, to any viewers, its 100% worth taking off the transmission cover, it makes accessing everything so much easier.

The hardest part of the whole thing, was learning how to take off the carpet by lifting it off the two vertical hooks keeping it tight under the dashboard.

P.S

Having a fuzzy German Shepard helping you doesn’t help and has proven to be a distraction.

View attachment 3213365

View attachment 3213366

the FJ62 HEAVY DUTY Chassis & Body FSM states on page AT-420 : use caution not to illuminate the Plasma big screen during any of steps outlined in this section ( For CANADA Market FJ62LG-PNEK models only ) ...

i thought we had discussed sticking to only the FSM CANADA Spec. A440F-C step by step focus points Padawan ?

if you gonna start breaking bad on me , i will restrict access to my NOS FSM kingdom keys ....

the FJ62 HEAVY DUTY Chassis & Body FSM states on page AT-420 : use caution not to illuminate the Plasma big screen during any of steps outlined in this section ( For CANADA Market FJ62LG-PNEK models only ) ...

i thought we had discussed sticking to only the FSM CANADA Spec. A440F-C step by step focus points Padawan ?

if you gonna start breaking bad on me , i will restrict access to my NOS FSM kingdom keys ....

Okay I was caught red handed. But breaking bad is too good to not watch.

I think the FSM should specifically say to turn on breaking bad because it helps me work better…. I am NOT distracted.

Update:

I am very busy with school and work. However, normally I put in a hour before bed every night, fortunately, my LC was well taken care of, hence the easy removal of al of the shift linkage and wiring harness…. Only took a few minuets!

Now, I’m getting really close to dropping the trans, the only thing that was holding me back was the corroded transmission cooler lines… argh! I had to cut them….. oh well, I don’t feel bad.

Next, my stupid transmission jack adapter, doesn’t fit onto my new floor jack, so I had to create my own adapter!

Now that the adapter is made, I can now remove the starter and drop the trans.

image.jpg

Update:

I am very busy with school and work. However, normally I put in a hour before bed every night, fortunately, my LC was well taken care of, hence the easy removal of al of the shift linkage and wiring harness…. Only took a few minuets!

Now, I’m getting really close to dropping the trans, the only thing that was holding me back was the corroded transmission cooler lines… argh! I had to cut them….. oh well, I don’t feel bad.

Next, my stupid transmission jack adapter, doesn’t fit onto my new floor jack, so I had to create my own adapter!

Now that the adapter is made, I can now remove the starter and drop the trans.

View attachment 3218699

the FSM step by steps do not mention to drain out the ATM pan and also the T-CASE of there fluids before removal ?

i find that odd since how else would you remove the fluids ...

there will of course be tons of ATF in the converter itself .....fyi

no need to remove the starter, you can if you want but not needed to remove the trans

were you trying to remove the cooler lines at the trans?

From what I have read you are changing the engine to a 3b. I have done it many times but I prefer to pull the motor and transmission together. It makes for an easier job when you are going to remove the engine anyway. 60's were designed for this as the front radiator support is removable. I know I'm a bit late as far as your project goes. I would do the same when you re-install. Waaaay easier to mate the trans and engine together out of the truck.

From what I have read you are changing the engine to a 3b. I have done it many times but I prefer to pull the motor and transmission together. It makes for an easier job when you are going to remove the engine anyway. 60's were designed for this as the front radiator support is removable. I know I'm a bit late as far as your project goes. I would do the same when you re-install. Waaaay easier to mate the trans and engine together out of the truck.
no need to remove the starter, you can if you want but not needed to remove the trans

Yea I’m definitely going to put it in as one unit next time……
But remember, I am a beginner, and it seems pretty simple to remove the 2 units separately, like taking the transmission out has been a easy job so far.

Yea I was trying to remove the lines at the transmission with my tube line wrench. It just wouldn’t come off without stripping.

the FSM step by steps do not mention to drain out the ATM pan and also the T-CASE of there fluids before removal ?

i find that odd since how else would you remove the fluids ...

there will of course be tons of ATF in the converter itself .....fyi

Not going to lie, the FSM you sent is a great reference, but it’s vague.

I mostly use what people are saying on mud.

Not going to lie, the FSM you sent is a great reference, but it’s vague.

I mostly use what people are saying on mud.

you need to remember and if you did not know this fact now you will ,

the TOYOTA Material Distribution paper print media FSM's were not written and published for the general public or end product consumer such as your self for example ..

they were written for the from the points of view of a minimum rank / grade TOYOTA Certified Technician , when a new prospective TOYOTA Tech. was hired off the street lets just say , they first attended a 5 day / 1 week / 8 hour days classes / or skooling at the nearest PDC ( parts distribution centers ) , that was back in my time mid 90's - late 2000's , i know for a fact because paper print media FSM's are no longer printed and everything is on the TIS network internal computer system , the same if not way more complex class and skooling structure still is in place today ...

- also , thee FSM is written form the prospective of having your FJ62 up on a LIFT in a dealership service dept. , NOT working off a floor jack on the ground ,

i find it hard some times to distinguish this is the between the lines FSM nomenclature ?

i don't have a lift either , but some lucky few here on MUD do .. :)

so , the vague part does make sense to me , just try to think through the between steps as best you can

you need to remember and if you did not know this fact now you will ,

the TOYOTA Material Distribution paper print media FSM's were not written and published for the general public or end product consumer such as your self for example ..

they were written for the from the points of view of a minimum rank / grade TOYOTA Certified Technician , when a new prospective TOYOTA Tech. was hired off the street lets just say , they first attended a 5 day / 1 week / 8 hour days classes / or skooling at the nearest PDC ( parts distribution centers ) , that was back in my time mid 90's - late 2000's , i know for a fact because paper print media FSM's are no longer printed and everything is on the TIS network internal computer system , the same if not way more complex class and skooling structure still is in place today ...

- also , thee FSM is written form the prospective of having your FJ62 up on a LIFT in a dealership service dept. , NOT working off a floor jack on the ground ,

i find it hard some times to distinguish this is the between the lines FSM nomenclature ?

i don't have a lift either , but some lucky few here on MUD do .. :)

so , the vague part does make sense to me , just try to think through the between steps as best you can

Well. It doesn’t even matter because the transmission removal on one of these is a joke.

Update:

Success!

I removed the transmission last night! I used my transmission jack & home made mounting plate to remove the unit.

However, the transmission jack was too tall to remove the unit from under the truck, even after jacking it all the way up. So I ended up doing some sketchy stuff, by transferring the transmission onto the pallet jack via another floor jack. ( Do Not recommended very sketchy ) the whole time the transmission jack looked like it wanted to break, and flip over.

So a couple of things I have learned:

A. The A440F is a HEAVY MOTHER TRUCKER - and MUST be removed carefully

B. Please jack the truck off the ground before hand, there is a good chance that you may not be able to get the transmission out from under it, if you have a inadequate jack.

C. Leaving the cross member on is a smart idea, it acts like a Handel bar to help wiggle the thing out.

But other than that, this is a very easy job that could be done by anyone, if you aren’t sure if you can do it, have at it. Just be sure that you have a good jack.

D384E1DF-FA1D-4C29-ADB6-E75DDD35A21B.jpeg

52B9DB3B-A23E-4EFF-9F35-0FA2D66E4EE5.jpeg

D3ABA4EB-7CF5-465B-ABFF-79385D7F9FD9.jpeg

4635F30A-7D3D-4998-B969-BCA66AE3DDC8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom