1981 60 Smog Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for guidance for replacing or rebuilding my smog pump. In CA. Can’t seem to find a replacement. Thank you.

These guys did my pump. They are down the street from K&H Imports a well-known LC shop in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley and I understand they do a lot of the rebuilds for K&H. HTH

These guys did my pump. They are down the street from K&H Imports a well-known LC shop in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley and I understand they do a lot of the rebuilds for K&H. HTH
K&H are an awesome team.

Looking for guidance for replacing or rebuilding my smog pump. In CA. Can’t seem to find a replacement. Thank you.
I second B-Z Rebuilders. I sent them my smog pump and it's now been on for probably 15,000 trouble free miles. It does make some squeak and chirp noises for the first 500 or 1000 miles, just be warned. They include a leaflet explaining that the sound is normal.

Looks like I’m missing entire egr system… can anyone confirm what that comprises 1) EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, EGR vacuum modulator, BVSV, and VSV. Any suggestions on where to source all of this? Thank you.

DCCFE975-41E3-4F6E-AD04-BF379E8DDE71.jpeg

where to source all of this?
It’s going to take some investigation and patience. None of that stuff is available new anymore so the only source will be ancient old parts removed by a guy de-smogging his 2F.
Start going through the classifieds here on this website and searching the internet.
Maybe you’ll get lucky and someone here has all their old stuff in a box.
Old EGR valves are problematic. I purchased 6 of them from different sources- all used & worn & none of them worked too well.
But one of them worked well enough to pass the smog test.

Looks like I’m missing entire egr system… can anyone confirm what that comprises 1) EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, EGR vacuum modulator, BVSV, and VSV. Any suggestions on where to source all of this? Thank you.

View attachment 3218437

Post a few pictures of your driver's side engine bay area where most of your emissions equipment is and we can see what you are missing. Might help you start making a list?

do you know if you have the "J" pipe? it comes off the exhaust manifoldby the firewall and goes to the egr cooler
there may be more issues if the exhaust manifold horn is welded
the piece into the intake manifold, you'll need the entire piece as it bolts to the intake.

is this a new rig to CA?
are you trying to get it to pass smog?

Yes
do you know if you have the "J" pipe? it comes off the exhaust manifoldby the firewall and goes to the egr cooler
there may be more issues if the exhaust manifold horn is welded
the piece into the intake manifold, you'll need the entire piece as it bolts to the intake.

is this a new rig to CA?
are you trying to get it to pass smog?
Thanks. Yes, new to CA and going to get it to pass. Thank you.

new to CA and going to get it to pass.

Pro Tip:
When It’s time to smog test your vehicle, (and you don’t have confidence that it will pass) find a smog-test shop in the cheapest, worst part of town. The ghetto basically— and test it there.

Those shops are all too familiar will very old cars in their neighborhood that struggle to pass the tailpipe test - but seem to pass anyway.

When you find your shop, be a nice friendly guy to the technician who will test it - and don’t hang around when he’s testing it. Stay out of his sight. Don’t bug him.
It’s entirely up to the technician’s discretion to (‘accidentally’) overlook something or another if he chooses to.

It’s also a very good habit to always use the same smog-test shop every two years - and bring your last test report from them with you.
It helps them and shows loyalty which can be priceless when things get close to the edge.

And also….
Always always always drive the vehicle, preferably on the freeway, for at least 30 minutes before driving to the shop for your test - to get it all up to temperature, and don’t turn it off when you get there. Leave it idling until it gets tested.

Pro Tip:
When It’s time to smog test your vehicle, (and you don’t have confidence that it will pass) find a smog-test shop in the cheapest, worst part of town. The ghetto basically— and test it there.

Those shops are all too familiar will very old cars in their neighborhood that struggle to pass the tailpipe test - but seem to pass anyway.

When you find your shop, be a nice friendly guy to the technician who will test it - and don’t hang around when he’s testing it. Stay out of his sight. Don’t bug him.
It’s entirely up to the technician’s discretion to (‘accidentally’) overlook something or another if he chooses to.

It’s also a very good habit to always use the same smog-test shop every two years - and bring your last test report from them with you.
It helps them and shows loyalty which can be priceless when things get close to the edge.

And also….
Always always always drive the vehicle, preferably on the freeway, for at least 30 minutes before driving to the shop for your test - to get it all up to temperature, and don’t turn it off when you get there. Leave it idling until it gets tested.
yup, this is gospel. that certainly helped up here in the great white north when we had testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom