Sound system and sound deadening upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, hope all is well.
After more than an year and a half without a sound system un my 80, I finally pulled the trigger and did un upgrade.
Installe and Alpine unit ILX650 with Apple Car play. Replaced speakers on 4 doors, and tweeters in dashboard. The goal was not tu cut metal on the doors, so speaker size is almost OEM. Also added 2 charging USB's, replaced one of the useless coin holders.
Also took the opportunity to add sound deadener in 4 doors.
So happy with the outcome. Test drove it today at highway speed and the result is great. I am not a huge fan of listening to music in the car with nightclub levels, I like to still here a little bit of the truck, so I can recognize where something is odd!
Here some pics, hope you guys like it.
Cheers
5e39d534-8728-46b5-ac82-9b6f5686fc06.JPG
a821ad28-cf71-4b04-8c34-0c7384983d60.JPG
d0533214-359e-4884-b0f5-afe44760ae38.JPG
0e026bb5-5f4f-47c8-a269-781f24b1aff8.JPG
541b5097-4b26-4646-be08-cd94d87eaa26.JPG

Looks great, nice work.

What are the model numbers of the speakers that you used?

Did you use the Alpine KTA-450 amp? If so, where did you mount it?

Did you upgrade or delete the factory sub?

Looks great, nice work.

What are the model numbers of the speakers that you used?

Did you use the Alpine KTA-450 amp? If so, where did you mount it?

Did you upgrade or delete the factory sub?
Speakers SPE-5000
Tweeters S-S10TW
Head unit iLX-W650

No amp.

Factory sub and cargo area speakers, are disconnected. I have a set of drawers in the back, so it is pointless having speakers over there.

Was the depth of the front speaker(s) (SPE-5000) shallow enough to not bump into the window glass run bracket without any modfications? Specs from Crutchfield says they're 1-11/16" deep.

Was the depth of the front speaker(s) (SPE-5000) shallow enough to not bump into the window glass run bracket without any modfications? Specs from Crutchfield says they're 1-11/16" deep.
This was done on a music shop. But the guys didn’t tell me anything. Maybe the sound deadener helped. The layer is about 1.5 milimeters thick, and it replaced the OEM plastic seal. Don’t know. Will ask the guys at the shop and let you know.

Cheers

If you're curious check out the photos in the link below you can just barely see the (dark) rail or bracket that the door glass runs in if you look in the hole where the front speakers go. The original speakers had a very unique design, very shallow so they would fit (see photos in the thread below).

Point is, it would be nice to know if those speakers fit without modification or
what modifications the shop had to do in order to install them.

If you're curious check out the photos in the link below you can just barely see the (dark) rail or bracket that the door glass runs in if you look in the hole where the front speakers go. The original speakers had a very unique design, very shallow so they would fit (see photos in the thread below).

Point is, it would be nice to know if those speakers fit without modification or
what modifications the shop had to do in order to install them.

Hi.
Well, tried lowering all 4 windows and haven’t heard rubbing noise. But, casually or not, I started getting some interference, until it stopped functioning. Apparently a loose cable. Don’t know if it has to do with the windows or not.
Also my starter left me and my family stranded on the road for a bit.
Bad Saturday for my and my 80

Last edited:
The windows themselves won't get in the way (can't tell by opening or closing the windows), it's the rail the window ride in that is behind the opening for the front door speakers.

Most speakers need ti have a spacer installed to push the speaker outward a bit, but then the speaker grills might not fit. So was just wondering what the shop did to install those particular speakers.

The windows themselves won't get in the way (can't tell by opening or closing the windows), it's the rail the window ride in that is behind the opening for the front door speakers.

Most speakers need ti have a spacer installed to push the speaker outward a bit, but then the speaker grills might not fit. So was just wondering what the shop did to install those particular speakers.
My speakers were blown on my LX and Best Buy had some Kenwoods on sale for 20 bucks so I tried them out. When mounted to the door panel(not my favorite, but somewhat essential for our trucks) there is plenty of room. I think the mounting depth was 1.75”

07087261-8A9F-4B39-813E-E09491549217.jpeg

891FBAA8-4B69-45E5-B556-E2AD4B767600.jpeg

Hi guys, updates on my sound system.
The problem was that the rear speakers were in direct contact with the door sheet metal, that was causing the failure.
A little bending had to be done on the speaker hole on the doors in order to accommodate them. At first I didn't want this or cutting, but it had to be done.
Now I can enjoy some music in my 80!
Cheers

That USB port looks super clean! Where did you get it?
Blue Sea 1039

With minor modifications these slip right in.

This thread, page 4, explains the install.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom