2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EA495B93-A1EE-4651-9A43-2F5BCAB6B3A9.png

6D11AFED-635E-48B4-AAD7-C5055BDE23E4.jpeg

It’s an amazing vehicle and my wife absolutely loves hers. It’s the best properly sized luxury off roader out there right now. But in true LR form, longevity is unknown with this new model until time passes. Though the build quality out of the new Slovakia factory has has been upped. Only time will tell if that bet pays off. So far it has. Almost 3 years in and no issues…”knocks on wood”

We want the LC though.
Nice, the wife really cant quit loving the Bronco so I have been trying to get a close look at the Defender every chance I get with her. Really trying to put it off hoping the LC or a better 4R came through and bought a Limited F-150 instead for now LOL.

Going off the difference I see on the 110 vs. the reported Prado: Yet to be verified of course.

Height
LCP is -4.5” in height than Defender. Seems like alot but remember the TNGA platform goal to lower and lighten. Hopefully this equated to lower center of gravity and larger wheel wells.

Width
is deceiving b/c with mirrors the Defender is 82.9” and without mirrors the LCP is 78

Length
Defender with no spare is 187”
LCP is 189.9”

Weight
Defender 5,035
Current Prado is 5,125lbs and expected to be lighter

Ground Clearance
Defender 8.5-11.5” with air susp.
Current Prado is 9”

Turning Radius
Defender is 42.1’
Unknown, current is 38’ 1”

Wheelbase
Defender 101.9”
LCP 112.2”

Departure Angles F/R
Defender 38/40
Unknown current Prado L 29.6/24 Traditionally the LC has always had a bad departure and with the reported length hopefully much improved approach and better departure.

Interior Space - cargo behind first row
Defender 78.8 (5 seats)
current GX 46.7 vs. 64.7 mid seats (sort of) folded. Lets hope they ditch the 3rd.

The wifey actually likes the GX also and I hate the look. I actually saw the Nori Green blackout at the MW EXPO and liked it but sorry that Defender looks better in all ways but looks(in stock form) aren't everything. Lets hope they fix that and from the sounds of it they will square it up and do just that.

The wifey actually likes the GX also and I hate the look. I actually saw the Nori Green blackout at the MW EXPO and liked it but sorry that Defender looks better in all ways but looks(in stock form) aren't everything. Lets hope they fix that and from the sounds of it they will square it up and do just that.
Yep couldn’t agree more. The Defender looks great.

thanks for posting the specs on the prado. it’s definitely similar to the Defender. Finally feels like “smaller is better” is happening.

Reactions: OSS
The defender is kinda hard to compare because it has 3 sizes. I doubt we'll see a 2door. I think those are the specs above. I think the 110 the best comparison. My guess is that it's the best seller. And the 130 is closer in size to the Sequoia. 110 is very similar but slightly larger in every dimension to the lc300, larger inside, and almost 10 inch longer wheelbase.

Land Rover Defender 110 D250 (top)
Vs
Toyota LandCruiser 300 Series GX (middle)
Vs
Prado (bottom).

Length
5018mm
4980mm
4825mm

Wheelbase
3022mm
2850mm
2790mm

Height
1967mm
1950mm
1845mm

Width
2008mm
2000mm
1885mm

Weight
2261kg
2495kg
2325kg

The lc300 is the right size for a Defender competitor. The problem I think is that Toyota doesn't have a longitudinal drivetrain unibody SUV. So there's nothing in the fleet that matches up well with the defender/jeep GC segment. Something that looks like an off-road SUV, is reasonably capable in the dirt but not built to spend everyday doing it, and drives like a crossover.

TBH there should be. The Lexus IS awd is the closest chassis structurally to the defender. But it has a compact sedan body on it. Toyota really should be building a crossover on that same underpinning to replace the GX. It's going to be really hard to make anything out of the Prado that's smaller than an lc300, drives as well on the highway as a unibody cwbt, and has the interior size to compete with a large midsize unibody.

Last edited:
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the upcoming re-release of the LC in the USA / Canada. There is some good info becoming available as some dealers are starting to be a little more open to discussing the info they have. Full disclosure, I'm not a Toyota dealer. Here's what I've gathered so far from discussions with people that I know.

1- Canadian dealers were shown the actual vehicle before Xmas in the Toronto during a Toyota Canada dealer meeting. They had the opportunity to see the exterior and briefly sit in it. Cell phones and cameras were collected at the entry to prevent leaked photos.
2- Initial launch in Canada will be two trim models, both off-road focused, and will hit dealers by Nov/Dec '23.
3- The vehicle was best described as very similar in size and shape to the LX600, but with a beefier off-road appearance, and obviously missing the Lexus focus on luxury. This was a common description / comparison and it's because Canadian / American dealers aren't that familiar with the LC300 and can only compare to what they've seen (LX300).
4- The vehicle will slot in at approximately the same price range as the lower / middle trims of the Sequoia, and be a 5 seater. They will be more expensive than the existing 4Runner, including the 4R TRD Pro.
5- Doesn't appear to be a new Prado model, as that has already been seen in Japan and does not share the resemblance to the LC300 / LX600.

Separately, some news on the new 4Runner. It is extremely likely, as it is very much a North America only model, that it will change to share a platform with the new Tacoma, and move away from being the primary off-road focussed mid-sized SUV in the Toyota lineup, with the LC300-esque Land Cruiser taking that role.

Anyway, that's what I know at this time. Inviting others to post good info please. Lets not make this discussing of this one over that one, let's just post the info we gather from speaking to Toyota dealers that are avid fans of the Land Cruiser and can't wait to support the re-introduction of this timeless nameplate to North America!

The thread below already has 7 pages of conjecture.

The thread below already has 7 pages of conjecture.

Perhaps, but my post is more than conjecture... ;)

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the upcoming re-release of the LC in the USA / Canada. There is some good info becoming available as some dealers are starting to be a little more open to discussing the info they have. Full disclosure, I'm not a Toyota dealer. Here's what I've gathered so far from discussions with people that I know.

1- Canadian dealers were shown the actual vehicle before Xmas in the Toronto during a Toyota Canada dealer meeting. They had the opportunity to see the exterior and briefly sit in it. Cell phones and cameras were collected at the entry to prevent leaked photos.
2- Initial launch in Canada will be two trim models, both off-road focused, and will hit dealers by Nov/Dec '23.
3- The vehicle was best described as very similar in size and shape to the LX600, but with a beefier off-road appearance, and obviously missing the Lexus focus on luxury. This was a common description / comparison and it's because Canadian / American dealers aren't that familiar with the LC300 and can only compare to what they've seen (LX300).
4- The vehicle will slot in at approximately the same price range as the lower / middle trims of the Sequoia, and be a 5 seater. They will be more expensive than the existing 4Runner, including the 4R TRD Pro.
5- Doesn't appear to be a new Prado model, as that has already been seen in Japan and does not share the resemblance to the LC300 / LX600.

Separately, some news on the new 4Runner. It is extremely likely, as it is very much a North America only model, that it will change to share a platform with the new Tacoma, and move away from being the primary off-road focussed mid-sized SUV in the Toyota lineup, with the LC300-esque Land Cruiser taking that role.

Anyway, that's what I know at this time. Inviting others to post good info please. Lets not make this discussing of this one over that one, let's just post the info we gather from speaking to Toyota dealers that are avid fans of the Land Cruiser and can't wait to support the re-introduction of this timeless nameplate to North America!
I love the sound of this. Hope we get to see something official soon.

This is great to hear. So I glad talked to my dealer to get in line to receive one of the first allocations. If it truly resembles a full size Land Cruiser (not prado), then I would think Toyota would have most of the kinks worked out from selling them in AUS/UAE market for two years.

Were you at one of these events? Not sure this provides any more detail than the last 10 pages of assumptions on this thread, Do such said dealers actually open it up and dive in and really look at the Land Cruiser or simply sit in the driver seat and look around to book more pre-orders and hype?
Motor details? Drive terrain? build quality? Is there any pictures or specs of an actual 2024 Prado out there to verify this is true?

The 4Runner will “move away” from being the primary off-road option? Move away to what, exactly? To being a 4th option in Toyota’s mid-price “SUV-but-not-an-off-roader” line-up already occupied by the RAV, Highlander, and Venza? And the sole dedicated off-roader will be 300 that even with a price-cut will still cost more than a 4Runner TRD Pro, a truck which is already priced as a pipe-dream for the average Toyota purchaser? Effectively just giving the vast majority of Toyota’s off-road market share away to their competitors, all of whom make entry and mid level options? I’m sorry, this sounds ridiculous once you actually begin to do the math. Listen, I think it’s entirely possible the 300 (or a North American variant) comes to the US after a season or two, but probably as essentially a vanity project, a Wrangler/Bronco/Gwagen killer that exists basically not to make sales numbers, but to bolster sales of Toyota’s more affordable off-road option, namely the 4Runner. Basically a micro-release that does the same thing (on a larger scale) as the lime-green 4Runner TRD Pro with a 4 inch lift and $30k worth of bolt-on extras that the more off-road oriented dealers might park on the front of their lots… nobody’s buying that $90k monster, it exists to move more affordable models. The idea that Toyota will execute a full-court press on a very expensive off-roader while flipping the 4Runner line on its head is ludicrous. Here’s the one thing you can take to the bank when it comes to dealers and rumors… they don’t have a ******* clue what they are talking about. And the ones who claim to have insider info and a self-assured attitude as they whisper a rumor? Those guys don’t have a ******* clue about a ******* clue.

What are the chances Toyota would give one small niche market it's own body style? That just doesn't sound profitable or anything like Toyota. Would be shocked if it's anything different than the same LC300 that's in the rest of the world.

The Baja 1000 course is entirely on established, graded dirt roads that are traversed daily by local fishermen and ranchers in dilapidated ancient old falling apart pickups (for the most part). Pretty much any vehicle can drive that whole course if they’re careful & take their time. I’ve driven parts of it in it’s entirety over the decades.
Yeah, most of the dirt roads are rough, with wicked washboards, but they are roads that get visited by a grader every once in a while.
The LX 600 could easily drive the course (with a modified front bumper to improve the approach angle), the hard thing about the Baja 1000 is winning the race. That’s the insanity.

”Graded dirt roads” ha, you‘re cute. 😂

There are many sections of the course (whoops, rocks, silt beds) that haven’t seen a grader in decades if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom