The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that's what I call diversity šŸ˜

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

ALFRED ,

you were on restriction remember ?

do we have to have another 1 on 1 Pm again ?

the FORUM that got shut off ......... :idea:

Picked these 3 survivors up today for $90 keeping my $30 streak going. Real happy with the big hat. Guy I bought them from worked at donation center of some sort. He said he would keep my number and gave him idea of what to look for.

0E827F18-555A-4887-9DE0-C1D63CBA6F57.jpeg

Last edited:
That "Soupcan" Big Hat (220E) is an instant classic! Transitional cage rest looking like a Campbell's Soup Can was only used for a few years and really makes for an attractive lantern, to my eye. That's a steal at $30 invested, and while a little harder to work on, given the brass valve setup on the burner cage, they usually don't need much to burn. Add fuel and go!

My 220E Big Hat is one of my easiest starting and brightest lanterns. Get it up off the ground or table top, hanging in a tree, and it will really cast some light. Thank you for sharing,

That "Soupcan" Big Hat (220E) is an instant classic! Transitional cage rest looking like a Campbell's Soup Can was only used for a few years and really makes for an attractive lantern, to my eye. That's a steal at $30 invested, and while a little harder to work on, given the brass valve setup on the burner cage, they usually don't need much to burn. Add fuel and go!

My 220E Big Hat is one of my easiest starting and brightest lanterns. Get it up off the ground or table top, hanging in a tree, and it will really cast some light. Thank you for sharing,
Thanks for the compliment on my score. Dumb luck really. Besides this thread any recommendations where to go for further study of Coleman products and variants?

Last edited:
^^^What he said. Also, if you really get the bug, there are a number of collectors books on all things Coleman. I can't recommend them, though - you'll just get deeper into the geekdom!

^^^What he said. Also, if you really get the bug, there are a number of collectors books on all things Coleman. I can't recommend them, though - you'll just get deeper into the geekdom!
At list I can document my collection and my kids will know whatā€™s in their estate.

Anyone ever use Evaporust on crusty rusty old Coleman stove gas tanks??
Been watching a few videos lately for another gas tank project I'm working on, Evaporust seems like the perfect solution...(šŸ˜ see what I did there)
:rimshot:

Anyone ever use Evaporust on crusty rusty old Coleman stove gas tanks??
Been watching a few videos lately for another gas tank project I'm working on, Evaporust seems like the perfect solution...(šŸ˜ see what I did there)
:rimshot:
Yes. make sure you degrease first. BB shake helps break up the crust. Ultrasonic cleaner and heat is a catalyst. I usually end up with a surface looking similar to sandblasted steel.

bought this on impulse off Craigslist Buellton CA. Date says 1945. American Gas Machine Company, Albert Lea, Minn. score two mantles and few extra parts. $170.00

00BA77C1-CAEB-4914-A070-26F2BC4F76AB.jpeg

EC5D0B57-22E5-4B47-960A-75C7D81C0B4A.jpeg

5AF02F59-6AD4-4FE9-BA5B-19E5FA8C8FED.jpeg

Last edited:
my life long connection and obsession with all things COLEMAN lantarns started as a 1st year Boy Scout Tenderfoot level , Troop 993 , St. Margret's Methodist Church , Severna Park , MD ....

where it is still a over-active Troop still today ...

- i just came across this randomly , or it some how found me it might seam ?

so , why not i said :idea:

i have never used the words NOS and Coleman in the same sentence before that i can recall ,,,,šŸ¤”

so , here we are and there we go ...

note : i have no affiliation with the link below

but i think certain somebody here on MUD will after they click the link below šŸ¤£

below is a NOS-COLEMAN lantern " thing " i have not seen in its current state in the photos ever before ?

Yes. make sure you degrease first. BB shake helps break up the crust. Ultrasonic cleaner and heat is a catalyst. I usually end up with a surface looking similar to sandblasted steel.
  • Make sure to Remove the Center Pick-up tube 1st.
  • Use silicone Plugs to seal Holes so I can flip them and get the top.
  • Use 1/4-20 Nuts and Lots of Shaking with The Works Toilet Bowel Cleaner (.99$ at Dollar Store)
  • Degrease with Simple Green or Similar then Rinse with Water.
  • Dry with Heat Gun or Compresses Air - They Flash Rust Super Fast
  • Seal with about 3 tablespoons of Por15 Tank Sealer and Roll all over to Coat - Buy a Pint on Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom