Flywheel opinions? Is it trashed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EStein

SILVER Star
Threads
I was able to pull my transmission, clutch, and flywheel today. Going to take the flywheel in to get resurfaced but I notice all these little hairline cracks. Is that normal? First time I’ve ever pulled one.
These boogers are expensive if I have to replace.
Thanks
3B4FA2FA-756E-40C6-8E92-08E1309A4263.jpeg
42837C35-4A3F-4908-BE9D-A7E5764B3E92.jpeg
C833D56A-5E5C-4C05-9D20-F18399FC8784.jpeg

If you take it to a shop they will be better able to evaluate whether or not it will be salvageable.

Have seen worse come to life. Best to take it to machine shop. They will tell you if they can get it resurfaced.

Yeah I will take it in for sure I’ve just never seen cracks like that when I have taken brake rotors off. Was curious if that might be normal. clutch plate was down to the metal posts so definitely overdue. thanks guys.

hotspots and cracks like that are not that unusual on a clutch and can cause clutch chatter. It would be unusual on a brake rotor (at least I have never seen it)
Ok good to know. Thanks. Bit in over my head but this forum and YouTube….learning a ton. Enjoying MOST of it…

those will grind right out.....just make sure your guy is competent enough to know that the step is important.
new alignment pins arent a bad idea either.

Yeah we have a pretty good machine shop close by. Alignment pins… I was wondering about those. Can you just pull them out with pliers? Would the machine shop have them or a specific FJ40 item?

Can you just pull them out with pliers? Would the machine shop have them or a specific FJ40 item?

you can pull them out, personally ive never successfully pulled all the pins out with out mangling one or two. i always order new pins when doing a clutch.

you can pull them out, personally ive never successfully pulled all the pins out with out mangling one or two. i always order new pins when doing a clutch.
Cool thanks… Will probably just take it in and see if the machine shop will do it. I had no idea about the step. Just did some research on mud. Will definitely copy some posts and take it in with me. They are reputable so I’m sure they know but just in case…

even if the shop pulls the pins they may still get mangled, sometimes they just dont want to come out. if they do a lot of fly wheel work they may have pins that will work or if their fancy maybe theyll just make new ones, the pins are just round stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom