Replacement springs and shocks for OME 2" lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In January 2007 I put in a 2" lift kit from OME. I need to replace the springs and shocks. The caster corrective bushings are still good. I'd like to replace the steering stabilizer shock also.

I found the reciept, but it doesn't give part numbers for the parts, just says "OMEKIT-80DH, OME SUSPENSION KIT DELUXE80 SERIES 2" HEAVY".

Replacing the springs and shocks is pretty easy, so I'll be doing that myself. Messing with the arms is a pain, so I'm leaving those as is. I may change to the caster correctvie plates in the future, but for now just springs and shocks.

I'm looking for quality/longevity and will spend the extra money. It is 1/2 my daily driver so comfort is important, but sometimes I get out in the mud - cross rivers, bounce down a dried up creek bed, etc. So needs to perform also.

I would appreciate recommendations on new springs and shocks that would keep the lift the same (2" or 2-1/2").

Much appreciated!

Joe

In January 2007 I put in a 2" lift kit from OME. I need to replace the springs and shocks. The caster corrective bushings are still good. I'd like to replace the steering stabilizer shock also.

I found the reciept, but it doesn't give part numbers for the parts, just says "OMEKIT-80DH, OME SUSPENSION KIT DELUXE80 SERIES 2" HEAVY".

Replacing the springs and shocks is pretty easy, so I'll be doing that myself. Messing with the arms is a pain, so I'm leaving those as is. I may change to the caster correctvie plates in the future, but for now just springs and shocks.

I'm looking for quality/longevity and will spend the extra money. It is 1/2 my daily driver so comfort is important, but sometimes I get out in the mud - cross rivers, bounce down a dried up creek bed, etc. So needs to perform also.

I would appreciate recommendations on new springs and shocks that would keep the lift the same (2" or 2-1/2").

Much appreciated!

Joe
Most likely you have the 2850 front an the 2863 rear springs. Both heavy and both 2.5" lift.

Go here to check it. Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_80series.html

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and his crew can help you out. @cruiseroutfit

Why do you feel you need new springs?
I can understand shocks, but not necessarily springs. Tell us what your usage is.
I have the heavy springs in mine because I'm always carrying a lot of tools and parts, but I don't do much off road and working them hard from that aspect.

Maybe all you really need are new shocks to improve the ride?

I installed an OME 2.5" lift kit on my 80 in either 2005 or 2006, so pretty close to what you have. The shocks got progressively worse over time. I replaced them with Dobinsons and the ride is so much better now. As BILT4ME already pointed out, maybe all you need is new shocks?

shocks would likely be OME N73 (front) and N74E (rear) however I beleive they have a different numbering system now, the part number is stamped on the shocks near the eyelet & 850/863 spring combo as pointed out by Bilt4me

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock the full range of Old Man Emu and Dobinson coils and shocks as well as additional shock options from Tokico and Bilstein. We can quickly discuss your needs on the phone and get you taken care of. 801-563-1277 or info@cruiseroutfitters.com

I installed an OME 2.5" lift kit on my 80 in either 2005 or 2006, so pretty close to what you have. The shocks got progressively worse over time. I replaced them with Dobinsons and the ride is so much better now. As BILT4ME already pointed out, maybe all you need is new shocks?
What was the part number on the Dobinson shocks you used?

Springs are rusting out and sagging. Look like "pears" instead of "cylinders" - middle spring coils are wider than top and bottom.

I'll give Kurt a call, thanks!

What was the part number on the Dobinson shocks you used?

Springs are rusting out and sagging. Look like "pears" instead of "cylinders" - middle spring coils are wider than top and bottom.

I'll give Kurt a call, thanks!

Dobinsons GS59-683 Pair of Front Shocks for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 1990-1997 for 0-3" Lift
Dobinsons GS59-682 Pair of Rear Shocks for Toyota Sequoia, Land Cruiser 80, 100 and 200 series 0-3" of Lift

Sounds like you do need new springs. surprisingly mine look good overall, haven't sagged and still have the original labels on them (850/860).

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the whole Dobinson kit - springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer shock.

I just put new tires on it and had the shop lift it up and give me a list of whatever else they think needs to be replaced. Here's what they said:
  • Front sway bar links and frame bushings
  • Tension rod bushings (3 Each)
  • Tie Rods (Complete)
  • Left front ball or axle seal
    • I think they're referring to the knuckle, that's a whole other project
    • Also, the left knuckle leaks worse that the right knuckle
  • Right front spring not seated properly
  • Rear traling arm bushings
  • Rear trac bar bushings
Next step is to look at this crap up and order new. Plan is to have a brand new suspension system when complete.

Joe

PS NOT a mechanic, this is a hobby!

I went ahead and got the whole Dobinson kit - springs, shocks, and steering stabilizer shock.

I just put new tires on it and had the shop lift it up and give me a list of whatever else they think needs to be replaced. Here's what they said:
  • Front sway bar links and frame bushings
  • Tension rod bushings (3 Each)
  • Tie Rods (Complete)
  • Left front ball or axle seal
    • I think they're referring to the knuckle, that's a whole other project
    • Also, the left knuckle leaks worse that the right knuckle
  • Right front spring not seated properly
  • Rear traling arm bushings
  • Rear trac bar bushings
Next step is to look at this crap up and order new. Plan is to have a brand new suspension system when complete.

Joe

PS NOT a mechanic, this is a hobby

All easy stuff to source in one call to Cruiser Outfitters, we have all of that on the shelf!

801-563-1277 | info@cruiseroutfitters.com

Thanks Kurt, I may take you up on that.

I'm figuring ALL poly bushings instead of rubber - longevity is important to me.

I'll do some researh on "panhard" stuff. I only occasionally 4-wheel it climbing hils - fording rivers - driving up old dried up creeks. She did fine stock and does even better with the extra couple of inch lift and 33" tires.

I'm all about LONGEVITY! Don't want to mess with this for another 20 years.

Getting cold now so will research over the holidays and try to find a warm February weekend for the work.

Joe

Thanks Kurt, I may take you up on that.

I'm figuring ALL poly bushings instead of rubber - longevity is important to me.

I'll do some researh on "panhard" stuff. I only occasionally 4-wheel it climbing hils - fording rivers - driving up old dried up creeks. She did fine stock and does even better with the extra couple of inch lift and 33" tires.

I'm all about LONGEVITY! Don't want to mess with this for another 20 years.

Getting cold now so will research over the holidays and try to find a warm February weekend for the work.

Joe
Then definitely do NOT get poly.

There are lots of examples on here of folks getting poly thinking they're doing something right when the OEM bushings and rubber parts have outlived everything and everyone else.

If you want longevity, get Toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom