new engine for the FJ62 at some point. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There’s a long thread in the 80s section by @Skitz swapping out a 3FE in a FJ80 to that engine. It’s not a project for the faint of heart. The wiring harness is beyond insanity.

Last edited:
There’s a long thread in the 80s section by @Skitz swapping out a 3FE in a FJ80 to that engine. It’s not a project for the faint of heart. The wiring harness is beyond insanity.

This is awesome! Thanks for the link. I have an idea for what I want to do. I'll say in advance, I know full well I could more easily power up with a chevy V8 swap. I'm interested in an all Toyota powerplant.

Here is my big Idea. My 88 FJ62 is running like a top, now that I have spent most of 2022 debugging the engine, transmission, and nearly every other part on the rig. The interior has bene stripped out and reworked part by part to new OEM or better condition. All of which is now ready to be reinstalled. First though, I have some frame rust to address, and because a previous owner took some big short cuts on repainting the rig, I'm also in need for fresh paint. For these two reasons I plan to drop the body off the frame, and do both of these jobs as best they can be done. With the body off, it'll be the right time to add a new suspension, rebuild the axles with some gear adjustment, disk breaks, and drop in a new Toyota H55 5 speed manual to get as much out of the 3FE as possible. Long story short, now that I'm planning on all this heavy lifting on this rebuild, I'm looking at a new powerplant.

That Said, I have a cherry 2006 LC 100 with 135K miles , 2.5 OME suspension, running 35x11.50. I really like the 2UZ engine, very reliable and if its from an 06 04 07, plenty of guts too! 275 HP, 300 with some minor mods. So, I have wondered why more people don't swapping these into the 60 and 62 instead of the Chevy V8.

After a little more research this weekend. I now have a million questions about the possibility of swapping in a 2022 Toyota tundra 3.4L twin-turbo i-Force V-6 engine. Smaller more compact engine in the 88 62 sounds right. plus I understand it outperforms the 5.7 tundra V8 in almost every way, so much so Toyota has made big moves away from the BIG V8's. I know the 2023 LC 300 runs a similar twin turbo V-6, for example. THINKIN OUT LOAD here. forgive me!!

Cash and time! Ain't that the truth. I'll be doing a deep dive into these more modern engines this week and will report back. I think the possible double edge sword on this conversation will be just that. Taking a highly modern engine and mating it to an analog rig. On one hand, the 88 will be a bit of a blank canvas as it relates to, what must be an incredible about of digital technology. On the other, syncing up all that tech to my ol' lady may be a nightmare. I suspect this "tech meets hardware" equation is the root of why the Chevy V8 conversation is so popular.

UZ engines have been swapped into a couple of FJ55s and FJ60.

I have driven both 55s and the UZ with either the manual or automatic was a blast.

Consider the 2006+ GM 4200. It’s a 4.2 liter inline 6 with variable valve timing, 24v, makes good power and torque down low in rpm and can be turbocharged to generate a significant amount of power. Would be very similar in size to the 3fe.

Someone’s gotta do it so I will instigate:

Toyota diesels.

1HZ/1HDT/FT/FTE….or even a 15BT/BFT.

All Toyota, and with awesome turbo noises.
84AA87AE-8518-4887-A3E6-79D5F00B6D58.jpeg

What's wrong with the 3F-E? 🤪

20220919_175119.jpg

Does Toyota even sell crate engines like Ford or GM?

Now that is making full use of engine bay space!
Every time I work on it it annoys me...but not about to pull the speed parts off...

It basically comes down to $$$$$$$, if you have mad skills it really helps cut down the expenses. As much I would like to keep it all Toyota i don't mind an SBC or a small turbo diesel and 5/6 speed tranny. Good luck on the project and keep us posted.

Do a UZ or Toyota diesel. I did a LS before they became super popular 60 swaps.. now I’m looking at going back to all Toyota. No real issues with the LS it’s been very reliable. Just becoming more of a purist in my old age

You can buy standalone UZ harness/cpu so dont let that scare you off. There’s a mid member in the vendor section.. check it out

do you have any more info on the m90 supercharger? are you running a multi rib belt?
It's an M90 off an L67 Buick engine and yep, multi ribbed belt. I'm away from home at the moment but can get some more photos when I'm home if there's anything you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom