How Tough is a 60 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Everybody knows Toyota trucks are tough, but specifically how tough is the 60 series?

I have found mine to be pretty tough, however It is in pretty good shape and I don’t want to ruin it.

I keep seeing videos of these LN106 Hilux trucks, that are insanely tough- it blows my mind on what people are doing with these trucks, and they NEVER GIVE UP!

I know the 60 series is built similar to the LN106, as it has solid axles on leaf spring, with a boxed frame, I could only imagine they would be similar.

How tough have you guys found your 60 to be?

My son has brought his 60 series on some of the longest, most remote and demanding tracks in Australia with me.. Here is his beige HJ60 parked next to my HJ47 at the start of the Canning Stock Route.. 2000+ klms of the worst corrugations and 1000+ sand dunes with only a single fuel stop in the middle. There's no rock crawling or that type of thing involved, but the track is just a goat track for its entire length and you're rarely out of 3rd gear and usually in 1st or 2nd. The corrugations are unrelenting, brutal and never ending, the dune approaches are all chopped up and the vehicle is rocked from side to side quite violently as you climb each one. Its not a track for the faint hearted. He had a broken shock mount and a minor starter motor issue on the trip. Prior to this trip and after this trip he's completed other trips with me.. and all of this in a 35 year old vehicle.

They are tough.

OEIhYHlONh7Tpk6OOj6mwmYemucnkyB9cnTDG5ufAGyFetImJ0Ayhw0eVbTUAV6TOZgKuqdLDBY800Jp3nfPoimJI1FmKk6JzQYzmuFENFIOP1rOiBdGyBJt1com6AAhnxH3jwkiIIJcgh33Yh8C2-QlU-rft65rEYV35oZtPTHCyyXozQXy38QiOCdnSbuvjjXeq0tTGJaHUG1-bWSACzGIWr2-f1Zev6Z_mV_dppYjHj8G2a05tebsygYd7PFQplQbZMXJuK3_Mxi8zISFdRRt_NZROgZ2Xr-nc_N42cdUAcvmXFBm7txsphSuVDcBk_24yodnsOvvuI_XHpT04FgVc4UJdPhkeNzyxKvUAyjct9QHtqSPJ_7Xbkffj5ou62JDQcK6KKgW8DIhJDr-RvcR8Ft5OV3nhzFIzHfuLxYDnpS6f_EnXTEHAjrvWRe5U56UrEOXSHyK64yZf-A9JFUV2h1-5jWDjRPpb47phLVHF-rGqRdBwudESF6x7YDPKJhaw3DklsjCcYdOTGDxtInw5_Gw_Xy0EeyTKVIogBz_jFM3VuXI3_nnxC3XZMSCNp3aYhO63d87cD7JoAYUKxCTfBAGL4rettjXBpx3JP140JeuHbcyfwz5HXIsmzk-rhc441kFqUCIUJ5SS2tHt8nQwKNpU0VITkUrYnduyBnMesM8El2twvzkRwtvqHhFu8EgJVumKlC7ggFWRONbsJqPGPD6483_GTS0doO50JLVVWstKOIWOIcLjL6c4xc_zcX13A2lm3sDxuiXqKiKwwTjoAeWhOAFKoiIXId3xw34PlAZPWFS1oPSraEuP2_kxhM7tauAJ_3c0iH1_7iS6ITPvaN446IUeKIqBYAxBAbamhasDG7UaD-50ASM5SP2-pRoF7g38di0CK2zZ5PXQ5fdKkRyTZ-FHWtcM4_Ny-hapA=w1346-h1009-no

Last edited:
Agreed. ^^

Every bit as tough as the 40's and pickups I've owned and wheeled, road-tripped. More comfortable and climate proof though. Only real drawback/tradeoff is the longer wheelbase and big butt/overhang of the cargo area, but having the cargo room is excellent compared to a swb 40 on longer trips.

Yea I could see a 40 series being bullet proof. Short wheel base, and light.

Those are pretty stout trucks.

You should see a 70-series from the same era, ie 1984-1990.

Frames are way more stout, not riveted either.

They rust just like 60-series though! 😂

Cheers

Every week/other week I drive my FJ62 offroad, exploring Utah, alone. I just never have issues... hours and hours of corrugations, long mountain climbs, flexing like a sick giraffe in Moab, UT. It just keeps going at almost 300k miles. I do take good care of it though and keep it mostly OEM.
Sure the 80 series is build even tougher. But comparing it to most other vehicles out there, how I drive it offroad, they wouldn't last very long.

Every week/other week I drive my FJ62 offroad, exploring Utah, alone. I just never have issues... hours and hours of corrugations, long mountain climbs, flexing like a sick giraffe in Moab, UT. It just keeps going at almost 300k miles. I do take good care of it though and keep it mostly OEM.
Sure the 80 series is build even tougher. But comparing it to most other vehicles out there, how I drive it offroad, they wouldn't last very long.

And it’s a fact that the 62 series is way more stout than then normal 60.

And it’s a fact that the 62 series is way more stout than then normal 60.
just curious, how is it more stout? axles are the same except for gearing. mind you, better for performance. suspension is same design. steering likewise. i personally feel the automatic is a stumbling block, not saying it is. if the efi of the 3fe is comparable to the efi on a 22re it's a nonissue. oh yeah, brakes, are they not similar if not the same? like i said, just curious

just curious, how is it more stout? axles are the same except for gearing. mind you, better for performance. suspension is same design. steering likewise. i personally feel the automatic is a stumbling block, not saying it is. if the efi of the 3fe is comparable to the efi on a 22re it's a nonissue. oh yeah, brakes, are they not similar if not the same? like i said, just curious

Okay, your right, the automatic transmission is the weakest link.

But the 62 actually does have different axles- they have a factory axle truss on the front, and they have a more angled differential pinion for the automatic trans, so the 62 will take a small lift better than a 60. The leaf springs also feature bigger spring perches on the frame. Somebody told me that the frame is thicker on the 62 however I’m not sure if it’s true, but I know for the fact that the 62 has a extra frame rail at the back of the frame, and gives it a little bit more rigidity perhaps there are more I don’t know about, but I am not sure.

Also, the 62 features the 38mm idler shaft on the Transfer case, compared to the original 34mm.

But remember, the automatic trans is pretty lame.

i think it comes down to the fact that four square lights are tougher than two round ones.

there also aren’t any confirmed problems with the fj62 locks or power windows 🤣

Last edited:
I do find the 62 has quite a different character, driving it, comparing to the 60. To each their own kinda thing.
I kinda like the automatic. Its an Achilles heel that is easily fixed with some beefy Derale cooling.

The PO spent 6 grand rebuilding his, then sold it to me later for 6 grand.

Ouch!

i think it comes down to the fact that four square lights are tougher than two round ones.

there also aren’t any confirmed problems with the fj62 locks or power windows 🤣

My power locks and windows haven’t given me problems.

I wish I had manual windows, but the power locks are very strong- I can’t believe how fast and loud they are. 10/10 power locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom