What do you tow your 80 with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is what happens when broski chimes in late 🤣

What ever i did was going to be a compromise, since i can't run duals and i need to be short bed.

Interesting on the inboard coil comment - makes perfect sense.
They make a short bed 3500 with out coils 😉

They make a short bed 3500 with out coils 😉
True, but they drive like s*** unloaded, or that's what I'd have ordered. I'm not bougie enough to have a dedicated tow rig like you 😜

Matt, what trim is the truck? I never considered Dodge, but I was entertaining only the Ram vs the Ford in my research.
Big Horn. I'd planned to order a Laramie when i walked in, but to option a big horn identically and just handle leather upholstery aftermarket saved $9k.

You'll like the Dodge. I had my second gen 6spd, quad cab long bed for 21 years. Only reason I sold it is b/c someone offered me too much money. I replaced it with 2014 3500 6spd, crew cab, long bed. I don't like training wheels. Good luck with your truck.

View attachment 3202265
If one wants to carry a overhead camper training wheels are the only way to go.
The camper the car trailer and the training wheels are all the same wIdth it only makes sense.
And if it’s not you DD it’s not a issue

Big Horn. I'd planned to order a Laramie when i walked in, but to option a big horn identically and just handle leather upholstery aftermarket saved $9k.
Nice! I’m excited for you. How long is the build?

You'll like the Dodge. I had my second gen 6spd, quad cab long bed for 21 years. Only reason I sold it is b/c someone offered me too much money. I replaced it with 2014 3500 6spd, crew cab, long bed. I don't like training wheels. Good luck with your truck.

View attachment 3202265
I had a 2005 long bed, 4x4 Dodge with a Cummins that i sold right before COVID - never should have got rid of it. After it was t-boned it was never right again, though.

True, but they drive like s*** unloaded, or that's what I'd have ordered. I'm not bougie enough to have a dedicated tow rig like you 😜
Fair enough

Car hauler is a 2001 18ft Appalachian 7000gvw. I use this 99% of the time b/c it's a 2 & 5/16 ball. Bigger Proline Deck over is a pintle
that's not as smooth/forgiving.

@CUMAPART @Broski what length trailers are you running to haul your 80s?
18’ leaves room for the big tool/ spare parts box on the front.
10k so I’m not over loaded

7K with a 80 and your over the edge with out any extras.

If you get a Dove tail you can load & unload Sweet Brown with out the ramps.
Again I would look into great Northern trailer works really well built trailer.
I do like the diamond C
I have a dump trailer made by them. I like the build Quality better on the GNTWs

Sounds like my thoughts are aligned. I was assuming 18' or 20' so i had room for boxes up front. Deciding between tandem 6k axles (for 9.6k payload) or if I change models to a model with a heavier frame that can have either tandem 7k or 8k axles. Don't need that capacity for the 80, but who the hell knows what i might want to haul in the future.

Either configuration would have a 102" wide deck and "drive over" fenders. I'd rather not go deck over and keep the load lower (and clearance better).

Sounds like my thoughts are aligned. I was assuming 18' or 20' so i had room for boxes up front. Deciding between tandem 6k axles (for 9.6k payload) or if I change models to a model with a heavier frame that can have either tandem 7k or 8k axles. Don't need that capacity for the 80, but who the hell knows what i might want to haul in the future.

Either configuration would have a 102" wide deck and "drive over" fenders. I'd rather not go deck over and keep the load lower (and clearance better).
I have an 18’ and the cruiser barely fits. I’d go with the 20’. If I could buy again I’d get a tilt deck or at least one with mounted ramps. Pulling them out and setting it up on mine is a pain.

you could also go for like a 35’ gooseneck and create yourself a redneck toy hauler 😁

They do make some nice light weight slide in camper options these days. You sacrifice amenities but they still beat sleeping in a tent.

I have an 18’ and the cruiser barely fits. I’d go with the 20’. If I could buy again I’d get a tilt deck or at least one with mounted ramps. Pulling them out and setting it up on mine is a pain.

you could also go for like a 35’ gooseneck and create yourself a redneck toy hauler 😁

They do make some nice light weight slide in camper options these days. You sacrifice amenities but they still beat sleeping in a tent.
Given the sheer amount of money I've spent in a week, i think a camper will be a discussion due a later date - and yeah, pop- top campers get down to the 1,100lb range.

I'd looked at tilt decks - really like the idea. Just an extra ~$4k 🤑

I have owned everything from a 1 ton to 1/2 ton. We tow a tandem axle 20 foot camper and the cruiser a couole times a year maybe. Honestly, for as much as I tow anymore, my current 1/2 ton ram with air bags does just fine! Yea more power would be nice, and one day I'll upgrade again.

When I do town the 80, I have a 20' 15k gvw Diamond C deck over tilt trailer. The trailer alone weighs 4k. Plus a 6k lb 80 series. That's on the limit of my pickup per the rated capacity. But I seems to do just fine. It's all about stopping power at that point. I also tow my skid steer with that same setup 9k lb plus the trailer... thats a little sketchy, but I only tow that locally.

The reason I bought my 80 is the ability to drive to the trail head, wheel, and then drive home. All with A/C, heat and comfortable seats!

Given the sheer amount of money I've spent in a week, i think a camper will be a discussion due a later date - and yeah, pop- top campers get down to the 1,100lb range.

I'd looked at tilt decks - really like the idea. Just an extra ~$4k 🤑

Look at Diamond C. There are alot of crap trailers on the market! Like 75% of what is offered... its really sad. Before my current trailer I owned a PJ and a BIG TEX. Both would work just fine if they sit in your driveway. For me, both failed my needs. The PJ was a tilt and the tilt mechanism gave uo the ghost and went back the the MFG 3 months after I bought it. Sold that one. The BIG TEX, came down to the details. Where all the electrical lines ran through the frame, they just blew a whole in the frame with a torch and let the wires sit on the rough edges of the steel. Had that one for a year or more and had to completely re run all electrical. Sold that one to. The Diamond C is a quality trailer. From the paint, to the tires that come on it. Great quality! It's a 15k gvwr, 20' deck over tilt. The tilt is hydraulic, ran like dump trailer. Has a wireless remote to!

Look at Diamond C. There are alot of crap trailers on the market! Like 75% of what is offered... its really sad. Before my current trailer I owned a PJ and a BIG TEX. Both would work just fine if they sit in your driveway. For me, both failed my needs. The PJ was a tilt and the tilt mechanism gave uo the ghost and went back the the MFG 3 months after I bought it. Sold that one. The BIG TEX, came down to the details. Where all the electrical lines ran through the frame, they just blew a whole in the frame with a torch and let the wires sit on the rough edges of the steel. Had that one for a year or more and had to completely re run all electrical. Sold that one to. The Diamond C is a quality trailer. From the paint, to the tires that come on it. Great quality! It's a 15k gvwr, 20' deck over tilt. The tilt is hydraulic, ran like dump trailer. Has a wireless remote to!
Strange, I've had my Big Tex for 17 years. All the wiring is good, sleeved where is needs to be. Other than the deck boards rotted at year 15 it's had 0 problems. It lives outside and gets used to capacity on a regular basis too. Maybe it depends on who put it together or the quality has gone downhill since I got mine.

Yea im not sure. I don't see alot of them in my area. I bought it when I lived in Texas and brought it to MT with me. Didn't make it much past that sadly. I'm sure it was just a quality control issue. I do have a buddy who has a 20k goose neck version, he uses it for his construction business and beats the hell out of it. Not sure how it's holding up?

I was a Ford man for a while. A 7.3 F250 and a 7.3 Excursion (both sold off a few years ago). Loved them both.
I rented a Ram 2500 for my Rubicon trip (Colorado to California) in 21. Man that truck was AWESOME!! 80 MPH no problem, and hardly knew the 80 was behind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom