What do you tow your 80 with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
Threads
For those of you out there that tow your 80s, what equipment do you use and why? I'm looking to buy both a tow rig and a trailer and I know you guys will have opinions.

I told my wife we should buy an old Peterbilt with a sleeper and tow with that, since it's cheaper than a new truck, has a built in camper and will have no issue pulling what ever I want. Unfortunately that idea was vetoed ... something about not fitting in the driveway. So I assume I have to stick to something "conventional".

Easy. Flatbed and
2016+ 200 series
Or
F-350 7.3L Tremor

Btw, this is my dream. I’m still searching for the tow setup. Also, 200 series LC can’t tow for s***, but if you’re towing your new toy, she’ll do that easily.

@Broski has a nice setup.

Last edited:
Easy. Flat bed and
2016+ 200 series
Or
F-350 7.3L Tremor

Btw, this is my dream. I’m still searching for the tow setup. Also, 200 series LC can’t tow for s*** but if you’re just towing your new toy, she’ll do that easily.
F350 sounds siq!

For anyone in the market for a Super-Duty, I found a dealer called Granger Ford in Iowa. They are the most competitively priced dealer I have ever seen for Super Duty trucks.

They offer a 2% below MSRP. You build your truck, save it to PDF, send it to them, and they will respond with a discounted cost sheet. As an extreme comparison, the same build cost me $20K more at my local dealership with market adjustments. Current build times for 2023 SD are 6-9 months.

For anyone in the market for a Super-Duty, I found a dealer called Granger Ford in Iowa. They are the most competitively priced dealer I have ever seen for Super Duty trucks.

They offer a 2% below MSRP. You build your truck, save it to PDF, send it to them, and they will respond with a discounted cost sheet. As an extreme comparison, the same build cost me $20K more at my local dealership with market adjustments. Current build times for 2023 SD are 6-9 months.
Nice! I'll check that out. I'm definitely a Ram fan, but I've owned trucks from all of the big three over the years.

Also really interested in what people choose for trailers. Man there are a lot of options out there.

My first question is how often will you be towing?
Good question. One of the 80s is basically trailer only, the other I'd think about trailering if i was putting a lot of miles on. I'd imagine something like this:
  • 3 trips/ month <150 miles round trip
  • 3 trips/ year ~500 miles
  • 3 trips/ year >1,000 miles
Wouldn't need the trailer for anything else. Would like the ability to keep limited spares in the trailer (job box or cargo lockers). Might consider a truck camper for the tow rig. Trailer would live in the PNW, so deck surface would have to stand up to being wet a lot of the time. Truck would replace my Seattle daily driver, which doesn't get a lot of miles but does need to fit in to airport parking (7' tall, max).

Good question. One of the 80s is basically trailer only, the other I'd think about trailering if i was putting a lot of miles on. I'd imagine something like this:
Wouldn't need the trailer for anything else. Would like the ability to keep limited spares in the trailer (job box or cargo lockers). Might consider a truck camper for the tow rig. Trailer would live in the PNW, so deck surface would have to stand up to being wet a lot of the time. Truck would replace my Seattle daily driver, which doesn't get a lot of miles but does need to fit in to airport parking (7' tall, max).
Sounds like you only need a 1/2 ton, but that’s ****ing boring. Go F-350. Say no to Dodge.

I would probably go for a gasser then if that's all your doing. Which gasser is up to you. Unless you get a pre 2007 diesel. A gasser should make a nicer daily driver though. If you want a camper then you'll want a 8' bed. So maybe a extra cab long bed.

2016 Tundra on a 18' Tophat steel deck 10k trailer.

Sounds like you only need a 1/2 ton, but that’s f***ing boring. Go F-350. Say no to Dodge.
I'll end up pulling over serious mountain passes out of Seattle. Half tons are technically capable, but I'd definitely prefer a 3/4+ ton diesel for piece of mind. Especially if i end up slinging a truck camper in the back as well.

I figure 80+ gear + trailer would be GCW ~9,000 lb

I would suggest finding a trailer that works for you first then load it or total the weight and plan on much more weight. Tongue weight is typically 15% of the trailer on average.

Why start here? It’s all about payload on a tow vehicle. You’ll see ford claim 13,000 lbs tow capacity on their F-150 which comes to about 2200 lb payload. This is a nothing added single cab 8’ bed with their heavy duty package added. You’ll never find one, especially used. Standard 1/2 ton payload is around 1500 lbs which is not much.
Then add you and your passenger and all the food and gear. Remember diesel motors add weight and also take from payload. The more bling you add in your truck takes from payload. Don’t expect a fully loaded limited truck to be able to tow much.

3/4 ton is likely your best bet unless you want a 1 ton that will likely rattle your teeth out when not loaded. If you ever want a slide in a 3/4 ton likely won’t cut it, especially if loaded with options. Lots of great forums out there to read up, especially ford.
I think broski tows to the trail with a 1 ton dually and can probably provide some good info.

Edit- saw you mentioned a slide in camper. Your defiantly in 1 ton dually territory. That would be 2000+ lbs of payload alone.

Last edited:
BTW, if you didn’t see me mention payload about 10 times :lol: they magic yellow sticker will be inside the driver side door if not familiar with them. That’s your number. Ford dealers have a cool kiosk you can key in your vin and it will calculate it all for you. Walk right past sales. They will know nothing.

Don’t over think think this purchase because what you’ll be towing will weigh under 10k pounds. Obviously you want a tendem axle trailer with something like a 12.5k GVW which will have brakes on both axles.

As for 3/4 to. vs 1 ton, you can always put an air bag system on the 3/4 ton if you want to put a camper in the bed. You could buy a new truck and get exact what you want but when shopping for a used truck we are always faced with compromise. A great used truck with low miles in a color we want and that’s been well maintained might be 3/4t instead of 1ton. The camper is a good idea because you won’t have to find and pay for a motel room during your travels.

Are you particular when my comes to the brand name of a pickup?

I'm apprehensive about the used truck market. From previous experience you don't save a lot over new and you can be buying something that's lived a rough life.

Certainly not my first truck or trailer purchase. Sold my diesel Ram a few years ago ( right before COVID ... Derp) because i was convinced i wouldn't need it any more I've also pulled trailers regularly for half of my career, just not car haulers. I guess the question I'm really asking is what's working for others who tow their 80s to go and do stuff. Did people find half tons up to the task? Is there a certain trailer that was a great fit over others? Etc.

Don’t over think think this purchase because what you’ll be towing will weigh under 10k pounds. Obviously you want a tendem axle trailer with something like a 12.5k GVW which will have brakes on both axles.

As for 3/4 to. vs 1 ton, you can always put an air bag system on the 3/4 ton if you want to put a camper in the bed. You could buy a new truck and get exact what you want but when shopping for a used truck we are always faced with compromise. A great used truck with low miles in a color we want and that’s been well maintained might be 3/4t instead of 1ton. The camper is a good idea because you won’t have to find and pay for a motel room during your travels.

Are you particular when my comes to the brand name of a pickup?
I've had good luck with Rams. Really bad luck with a GMC and haven't owned a Ford in so long my experience with them wouldn't be relevant.

I've had good luck with Rams. Really bad luck with a GMC and haven't owned a Ford in so long my experience with them wouldn't be relevant.
If you pay attention when out on the highways you will notice that Ram trucks dominate the world of hotshot drivers. The Cummins engine is simpler and cheaper for them to operate. It’s a true industrial engine that was born of a venture between Cummins and Case in 1983. It wasn’t until 1988 that Dodge put one in a pickup.

Any one of the big three diesel trucks will do your job just fine because, like I said earlier, what you will be asking it to do won’t be too demanding compared their capability.

With six speed auto’s, factory installed exhaust brakes, built in safety features that keep you from burning it up, and in my opinion, excessive torque management (all that power but not much fun to drive in the newer trucks) towing is made easy.

Last edited:
Did people find half tons up to the task? Is there a certain trailer that was a great fit over others? Etc.
I don't want to fixate on Ford but have looked into it a lot recently. No way a 1/2 ton would tow that for a 1000 mile trip comfortably or any 1/2 on for that matter. The TTV6 is amazing but, just not enough truck(frame/ brakes and so on) for the weight. That drive would be miserable IMO and you would be tent camping it at best.
Lots of good reading here:

I wouldn't touch anything without reading the manufacture spec sheet first. Like I said what they claim it will tow means nothing.

BTW the truck market is overinflated just like the LC market so expect to over pay or wait a long time if looking for something exact. This looks to be getting a little better lately.

I don't want to fixate on Ford but have looked into it a lot recently. No way a 1/2 ton would tow that for a 1000 mile trip comfortably or any 1/2 on for that matter. The TTV6 is amazing but, just not enough truck(frame/ brakes and so on) for the weight. That drive would be miserable IMO and you would be tent camping it at best.
Lots of good reading here:

I wouldn't touch anything without reading the manufacture spec sheet first. Like I said what they claim it will tow means nothing.

BTW the truck market is overinflated just like the LC market so expect to over pay or wait a long time if looking for something exact. This looks to be getting a little better lately.
Agreed on the 1/2 ton thoughts. I'd rather err on the side of unused capacity than have a 1/2 ton gasser constantly operating at 95%. Bigger brakes is also a huge plus with a 3/4+ ton.

Thanks for the thoughts. And you're right. I have a feeling this whole scenario is going to come down to availability, ultimately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom