FJ40 Land Cruiser Tire and Cooler Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello hope someone could help. I’m looking for tire and cooler carrier for an fj40 and wanted to know if someone recommends where to buy one from.

20221204_164111.jpg

Ok, to balance everything that has been said, here what I don't like with the 4Plus Carrier.
(With the note that I never had one but studied the question of how to carry jerrycan in the back, so not talking about quality but only about design features)

• I find the handle design cumbersome, lots of pins to remove/put back to open this thing and you have to do it every time you want to access the back...
  • Not compatible with the stock bumperettes
  • Hide the stock reflectors on 1974+ (would probably not pass technical control here without adding some other reflectors)
  • Not compatible with the stock Pintle
  • In some angle can limit other drivers visions to tail light, not a huge deal but the 40 can use all the visibility it has on the road.

Many things about the stock look would only matter for a stock looking truck obviously, but as this carrier is really inconspicuous and blend very well in the back of a 40, it's really shame it does not allow to keep those little details.

You've got the answer if you don't want to build your own. If you have considered building your own, this thread may help. Post #11 is a build I did.

Man, that's one heck of a consensus. Add me to the 4+ crowd, trail tested and approved.

Ok, to balance everything that has been said, here what I don't like with the 4Plus Carrier.
(With the note that I never had one but studied the question of how to carry jerrycan in the back, so not talking about quality but only about design features)

• I find the handle design cumbersome, lots of pins to remove/put back to open this thing and you have to do it every time you want to access the back...
It is 1 pin.

A7A73B47-B71D-4FE9-8346-69DEB9E0FEDC.jpeg

Uh, the main pin is secured in place by a smaller pin at the bottom if I'm not mistaken !?
So from what I saw in users videos, to open the carrier you need to:
  • Open handle
  • Remove small/safety pin
  • Remove main pin
  • Remove handle
And you end up with the main pin and handle in the hand that you will most likely need to put down somewhere to retrieve them later to close it.

Versus the stock carrier and most aftermarket carrier where it's a simple hook/latch so it's just one action "Open handle" and nothing remains in your hand to dispose.

So I really believe 4plus could do simpler on this latch design.

Uh, the main pin is secured in place by a smaller pin at the bottom if I'm not mistaken !?
So from what I saw in users videos, to open the carrier you need to:
  • Open handle
  • Remove small/safety pin
  • Remove main pin
  • Remove handle
And you end up with the main pin and handle in the hand that you will most likely need to put down somewhere to retrieve them later to close it.

Versus the stock carrier and most aftermarket carrier where it's a simple hook/latch so it's just one action "Open handle" and nothing remains in your hand to dispose.

So I really believe 4plus could do simpler on this latch design.
The main lever is tethered to the bumper, the only thing you have in your hand is one small pin. Once you open the rear you drop that pin back in the hole it lives in. It's second nature after the first day.

I agree that there may be a simpler solution, but maybe not as durable.

Even at subzero temps, covered in snow and ice, with gloves on, it's simple.

Last edited:
Very happy with mine Dave makes a great product👍

How does it attach to the frame?

How does it attach to the frame?
It bolts to the rear crossmember, you'll need to drill 4 holes if I remember correctly.
20201207_174226.jpg

Best pic I have right now, it's waaaayyyy to cold to go out and take any fresh pics, plus it's covered in snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom