Knuckle component compatability (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Have a 1970 FJ40 and a 1976 FJ40 - I am going to transfer the axle shafts over to the 1970 from the 76 to have disc brakes, needing to replace the knuckle seals - wondering what the difference is between the pre 75 knuckle seal kit. I found on Amazon a kit that says 75-90 (Amazon product ASIN B0078UB0BS) Wondering if this kit will work - I know I can get them on CCOT, or some of the other sites, but they KILL us canucks in shipping and duty - sometimes costing as much as the parts do, and I don’t really want to pay double for something, if I don’t have to.

Thank you for your feedback, in advance.
SO looking forward to putting this thing together and driving it this summer.
Got all the brake parts, need some more lights, and a couple odds and ends, next on the list is power steering, then lift, then tires, and DRIVE.

The yrs they reference are all wrong. 75 and earlier were drum brake. I think they were small pattern knuckles. 76 to 78 were disc brake small pattern knuckles. 79 and later were large pattern knuckles. The kit says 75 to 90 and that wont work. Go to faqs in this section and scroll down to frt ends and read the 1st 2 threads. You might check out cruiser outfitters. Idk about shipping, but you'll get the the right parts.

Last edited:
The yrs they reference are all wrong. 75 and earlier were drum brake. I think they were small pattern knuckles. 76 to 78 were disc brake small pattern knuckles. 79 and later were large pattern knuckles. The kit says 75 to 90 and that wont work. Go to faqs in this section and scroll down to frt ends and read the 1st 2 threads. You might check out cruiser outfitters. Idk about shipping, but you'll get the the right parts.

I think the only difference for large or small knuckles kit is the shimes

Im also in canada but still get most of my cruiser stuff from Cruiser Outfitters and others good Mud vendor .
But it sur hurt the wallet , last thing i bought was ship in a small envelope , a 95$us order end up at 165$can

Ever thought of just swapping entire front axle housings? Would be a lot less headache.

Last time I did mine, I used the Longfield "lifetime" knuckle ball wiper seals and they have worked well and been leak-free for 11 years. Trail Gear bought out Longfield after Bobby's death; not sure if they still make/market the lifetime seals or not.

Last edited:
Trailgear still sell the seal , but the original ecoseal from marlin crawler is probably higher quality

For the axle inner oil seals, I agree; what I used also.

I should have been more specific; I was talking about the knuckle ball wiper seals. (edited my previous post to reflect that.

Ever thought of just swapping entire front axle housings? Would be a lot less headache.
I did look at that, but found a metric sh%$ ton Of water in the axle housing and a lot of leakage, so they need to be resealed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom