GX460 improve highway handling? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Based on your description, I'd consider an Ascent. You'll then land in having a non-FWD based vehicle (true AWD with a longitudinal engine) that has good handling for a 5K# vehicle, good reliability, and a turbo 4 which is quicker than a GX. It will be a downgrade from a GX in terms of luxury and style but will provide some of the zippier handling while doing a good job at kid hauling. Subarus are very safe vehicles and both easy and cheap to service. Not as reliable as a Toyota/Lexus but they are Japanese and are much better than a domestic or a European car.

Despite having Subarus for nearly 14 years in the Rednexus household, we are going with a Highlander due to the hybrid option (MPG) and Toyota build quality/resale value. The amenities of an upper-trim Highlander are near-Lexus level in quality and execution. Don't really care about it being FWD-based as I still have my GX for unpaved roads.

:wtf: NOT A TRALHAWK!! :vomit:
If you're not going to go electric, I Porsche is good, so is Volvo. They have some nice all wheel drive SUV's. Their SC series have a hybrid and electric!

My GC Trailhawk was great. Lexus it isn’t but it was very good. Disagree about Volvo. They aren’t Swedish anymore...

As for alignment, tire pressure and everything, my wife didn’t notice the handling issues until we’ve had the car for a couple of months. I think a combination of high wind speeds and cold weather kind of made things worse. We drove this same GX to Seattle and back from CO and my wife wasn’t particularly pleased with the body roll. We drove a few other GX before buying our 2019 and I couldn’t tell the difference between any of them.
I have been driving SUVs since the late 1980s, and IMO the GX has far less body roll on the highway than other similar SUVs, due to the stiff KDSS anti-roll (sway) bars. I have heard people say that the GX460 handles like a sports car compared to the GX470, which doesn't have KDSS. So, you might want to get your KDSS checked for proper operation.

Our main reasoning to buy the GX was that it’s something reliable until we can get our hands on an LX600. Our 2019 GX doesn’t have sport mode, our 2010 GX does. Both handle about the same. Now why we got a 2019 GX when we already had a 2010? Coincidentally, I had made a commitment with a private party to buy their 2010 GX until we could find a newer model. Turns out we found a newer model GX within the next day. I’m not one to go back on my word so I bought both the 2010 and 2019.

As for alignment, tire pressure and everything, my wife didn’t notice the handling issues until we’ve had the car for a couple of months. I think a combination of high wind speeds and cold weather kind of made things worse. We drove this same GX to Seattle and back from CO and my wife wasn’t particularly pleased with the body roll. We drove a few other GX before buying our 2019 and I couldn’t tell the difference between any of them.

It might be time for me to convince my wife to sell the GX and buy something else. We don’t want a FWD based vehicle so RX, Highlander and such are out. I’ve asked my wife if she wants a Cayenne or Trackhawk but she’s not convinced that those are the most reliable options when driving around with a baby.
X5. You can get deals on used gassers, and they handle great. My wife loves her 45e, and they are dirt cheap to drive around town (at least at $.15/kwh), and way, way cheaper to drive on trips than a GX.

Mark

I might even wonder if it's something related to alignment, which would also be a simple and inexpensive place to start. A good alignment with the right castor adjustment may can make a world of difference and provide a more 'planted' feeling on the highway. Nothing more annoying than a vehicle with the alignment all goofed up...
I agree with those above: expecting a GX to handle like a BMW or Porsche just isn't possible. Yet, that is the tradeoff for owning a near bullet proof off road oriented vehicle. I also agree, having had an LX, ('97 and '02) that the GX with KDSS works remarkably better than my LX or GX470 without it, so check for leaking shocks first. I second the trying an alignment next. After that, a road handling tire possibly on 19s as 20s might ride too harsh for some. If still not satisfied, then, possibly a set of Bilstein gas shocks with digressive valving for a firmer ride and less body roll. I believe that's about all you hope for with this purpose built truck.

Last edited:
Last option is gut the vehicle of everything but the drivers seat, add racing suspension and 22" 30 series tires. That'll give you a slot car ride! 😁

Last option is gut the vehicle of everything but the drivers seat, add racing suspension and 22" 30 series tires. That'll give you a slot car ride! 😁

If you can do this to an XJ and make it handle, you can make the GX handle too. It just won't have much GX left :p

Jeep_XJ-R_Grassroots_Motorsports_Challenge_turbo_autocross52.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom