I have a 1972 FJ40 with Drum brakes and want to change to a 1983 mini Truck front end with disk brakes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 FJ40 with Drum brakes and want to change to a 1983 mini Truck front end with disk brakes.

Any one know if this will work?
Thanks Bic

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 5.04.23 PM.png

You should swap the knuckles and birfs and outer parts from the mini truck., and keep the 40's axle housing and larger 3rd member.

Do you think this will work? any difference in brake lines?
It's done all the time. Search knuckle rebuild. Brake lines to the axle will probably have to be figured out. To start, go to FAQs at the top of this section and scroll down to frt ends.

One of the typical Cherry Popping projects for FJ40's, all the info you need is presented by the wonderful Cruiser Heads here!

you can also swap the disc to the Landcruiser vented disc and use either Landcruiser calipers or the V6 4 runner calipers?

any idea what year the axle is? 2 different versions of how the rotor mounts to the hub

you'll need an axle rebuild kit, get it from Landcruiser Brothers or cruiser outfitters, go with Marlin inner seals

you can also swap the disc to the Landcruiser vented disc and use either Landcruiser calipers or the V6 4 runner calipers?

any idea what year the axle is? 2 different versions of how the rotor mounts to the hub

you'll need an axle rebuild kit, get it from Landcruiser Brothers or cruiser outfitters, go with Marlin inner seals
Its off of 1983 Toyota Mini truck 4wheel drive

Yes, it will absolutely work!

Do yourself a favor and go read this!

I have a 1972 FJ40 with Drum brakes and want to change to a 1983 mini Truck front end with disk brakes.

Thanks Bic

View attachment 3197321
Others already said but yep, works and not hard, especially after seeing the skills you have. My 70 non-resto thread has the exact swap in it. Can link it if you need but there’s better write ups out there.
You’ll want everything on the ends that isn’t part of the housing, as well as the outer axle (birfield). Brake lines are available and easily made if they don’t come with. Swap to 85 4Runner calipers and 60 series vented discs (if I remember right?). Worthwhile swap.

For clarification though: you want to swap the outers of the pickup axle onto your axle. You don’t want to swap the entire pickup axle into your 40.

Thanks Bic

View attachment 3197321
Well I'm in the middle of the swap and noticed the Mini truck Birfields are larger than the FJ40s. Can I open up the Axel ball so they will fit?
someone said this is possible

Search is your friend, the axle ball with need to be clearanced with a grinder to widen the opening. Lots of threads on this.

just one of many

Use Google to search Mud. Mud search feature is not great

I was thinking in the FAQ at the top of the page:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom