Parking brake shaft. Nickel plate it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is really cool. I know it’s basic other than the solution make up but wow! Thanks for posting.

When the time comes, I think I'm gong to do all of the silver interior bits on mine with a close enough cerakote color.

I love the sheen on that stuff. If I knew somebody with a big enough oven, I'd consider doing the whole body.

When the time comes, I think I'm gong to do all of the silver interior bits on mine with a close enough cerakote color.

I love the sheen on that stuff. If I knew somebody with a big enough oven, I'd consider doing the whole body.
Plenty of PC shops have a big enough oven. The issues are keeping a surface area that large cean enough for Cerakote. The other is the material cost, but a little goes a long way.

Thinking of Cerakote on my clutch master, but powder coat should be fine. $40 for 4 oz is steep.

Plenty of PC shops have a big enough oven.

I haven't dug too far into it. I know a couple of smaller guys that do both. Most started out with firearms, and got bigger. I haven't checked with powder coaters that have moved into cerakote.

This thread did make me look for platers again for the frame though. I'm curious about plating it rather than painting to get into all the nooks and crannies powder coating or spraying struggle to reach.

I haven't dug too far into it. I know a couple of smaller guys that do both. Most started out with firearms, and got bigger. I haven't checked with powder coaters that have moved into cerakote.

This thread did make me look for platers again for the frame though. I'm curious about plating it rather than painting to get into all the nooks and crannies powder coating or spraying struggle to reach.
You might be thinking of galvanizing, which people do have done to their frames. Plating will struggle to reach as well, although probably better than powder. It has to do with the flow of ions and the surface being shadowed buy other parts. The frame would most likely need to be constantly rotated in the bath. Probably cost prohibitive.

Galvanizing is common on boat trailer frames. Once galvanized, special paint is required to finish it.

You might be thinking of galvanizing, which people do have done to their frames. Plating will struggle to reach as well, although probably better than powder. It has to do with the flow of ions and the surface being shadowed buy other parts. The frame would most likely need to be constantly rotated in the bath. Probably cost prohibitive.

Galvanizing is common on boat trailer frames. Once galvanized, special paint is required to finish it.

It's a zinc/nickel chromate that a semi local shop does. Comes in black.

I'm curious what the finish looks like. Their spec sheet says it's paintable, but if it looks fine, why paint. I want it to look nice, but I'm looking for corrosion resistance, not a concourse paint job. Wouldn't take much to get a passable paint job either if it takes fine.

There is a Land Rover shop not far away. Those frames are fully boxed, and made from tinfoil. I know they do some sort of plating on some projects. When the weather turns nice again, I should swing through with the 40 and pick their brain.

Installed.

P Brake shaft 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom