New Tub and Switching to Ambulance Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am approaching the roof, roof sides and rear door in a different direction and would like some feedback.

I have a 69FJ, have hard doors, no hard top or roof sides, it has the rear half barn doors and hatch top. The tub is really bad, I have been looking around at available tubs and I think I am set on biting the bullet and ordering a aluminum 3/4 tub. I would like to switch to ambulance doors in the rear and use my existing spare tire carrier mounted on the pass side. So my questions is, will a 75 and newer 3/4 tub connect the same as the 74 and older to the cowl? Are the dimensions the same for the roof at the wind shield frame? I figured, since I am looking at the 3/4 tub, if the tubs are the same from the rear wheel wells forward to the connection at the cowl, I could order the 75 and newer tub, then get the roof and roof sides for the 75 newer FJ plus the ambulance doors.

Will this work?
Thanks

I think they're the same but can't say 100%. Someone will probably chime in. If you plan on taking the top off with ambulance doors you will want a bolt on panel, tailgate or 1/2 doors to go across the back opening.

Maybe keep the tub more in line with correct and modify the ambi doors kinda like the Decker read half door design (he’s the first I’d seen do it)

Here’s a few pics and thread:

Decker’s one is the green one… all three have tailgates but I had seen it done since with barn door rear as well

4FAA27FC-9394-4151-9189-EEE3C411910C.png
EE641645-FDF8-49BB-BC0D-B867AA3AE012.jpeg
4519251C-9304-4A34-B250-E2FB802B7A7A.png

^^In the future, I'll be doing this to my 75^^

I've been running a panel bolted across the rear forever and it's a pain in the ass. I'll be adapting a drop down tailgate and cutting the rusted bottoms off my amby doors. I would prefer a flip up hatch top if I had one. I figure a tailgate is sbout the same money as replacement bottom amby door panels and less work.

All ambulance doors you find will open right side first. Keep the spare on the right side you will have to open the spare to get in no matter if you use full doors or modified half door setup. Personally do not like the modified version. Biggest disadvantage of ambulance doors is the pillar in the middle looking thru the rearview mirror. If you going have that I would get a left side spare tire carrier and use full ambulance doors. Not a big deal to modify a hatch hard top to ambulance doors. They both have the cutout so both the hatch and ambulance doors fit flush. Correct header just an matter of adding fixed bolts for the upper hinge.

So I am approaching the roof, roof sides and rear door in a different direction and would like some feedback.

I have a 69FJ, have hard doors, no hard top or roof sides, it has the rear half barn doors and hatch top. The tub is really bad, I have been looking around at available tubs and I think I am set on biting the bullet and ordering a aluminum 3/4 tub. I would like to switch to ambulance doors in the rear and use my existing spare tire carrier mounted on the pass side. So my questions is, will a 75 and newer 3/4 tub connect the same as the 74 and older to the cowl? Are the dimensions the same for the roof at the wind shield frame? I figured, since I am looking at the 3/4 tub, if the tubs are the same from the rear wheel wells forward to the connection at the cowl, I could order the 75 and newer tub, then get the roof and roof sides for the 75 newer FJ plus the ambulance doors.

Will this work?
Thanks
Yes the 75-78 tub from Aqualu you would want for doing that. Don't reuse your old spare tire carrier is my advice. Instead get a 4plus carrier, it mounts to the frame Instead of the body.

I put my cooler rack on the passenger side. Designed the swingout so the basket is removable, and the ambulance door can be opened when it is removed, without opening the swing out.

20221022_113514.jpg

20220919_170518.jpg

It's a rancid pain in the ass to me to open that back door when the cooler is on. The dog used to get in and out that way until I put the shelf in the back. Still a pain in the if you've got arms full of stuff.

My brother opened the empty swing out, I was standing in the wrong spot, I almost took the arm to the nuts as a consequence. 😆

Can't see F all directly behind you. A vehicle a ¼ mile behind doesn't exist.

I didn't say it was huge just the biggest disadvantage. That is with the top on. Off it's the open space in the tub in the back. Nothing easily available in the US will allow access to the back without opening the spare. Just because I had access to a set of barn doors off a RHD. Thought it would be a fun project to used the lowered hinges and bottom catch locations to mount a frame and mount RHD barn doors to that frame. That would allow one door with open without opening the spare tire. Doors are still in Australia and probably never get to it. I also doubt I will ever remove the hard top with ambulance doors. Have a FST model already. Plus a barn door/hatch model. Until I restore the FST I've just used factory bows on the barn door model.

So, if I am reading all this correctly, adding the 75+ alumnium tub to my 69 cowl will have no issues with roof and 75+ roof sides and ambulance doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom