Parking brake shaft. Nickel plate it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It had some surface rust. I removed it with phosphoric acid. So, it probably has a coating of iron phosphate which might protect it enough from rust inside the cab. But, it's not very attractive. I am considering nickle plating the shaft. Has anyone done something like that? I could zinc it and it will will look brighter, but I don't think it will have the wear resistance of nickle. What did you do?

20221209_170939.jpg

light coating of grease on mine 🤷‍♂️
I know. But this is a frame off, resto-mod. It's out and I powder coated the brackets. Hardware is ok as it still has most of the chromate conversion coating on it. Don't want people saying (me thinking) I shortcut something.

I know. But this is a frame off, resto-mod. It's out and I powder coated the brackets. Hardware is ok as it still has most of the chromate conversion coating on it. Don't want people saying (me thinking) I shortcut something.
No one is going to think you short cut something cause you didn't nickel plate your e-brake. Just a light coating of grease and call it good.

Last edited:
No crack anymore. Are there even any car guys on here? Anybody do restorations?

View attachment 3195123
Car guys? There might be a few on here. Some even do restorations, i seen the pics.
Actually, when i read "nickel plate" i thought shiny like chrome. That doesn't look so bad though.
Mines basic black. Matches the rest.

Car guys? There might be a few on here. Some even do restorations, i seen the pics.
Actually, when i read "nickel plate" i thought shiny like chrome. That doesn't look so bad though.
Mines basic black. Matches the rest.
I've seen a few pics too. But those aren't the ones who can't believe people work on stuff.

I could have made it like chrome, but that's not what I was after. Just a wear surface to keep rust from returning.

Just a wear surface to keep rust from returning.
A lot of guys, like me, might just give that shaft a fingerfull of grease every few years. Work it in well. Call it good.
You went that extra mile for your rig, cool. Overkill is LandCruiser's middle name.
I'm more of the patina persuasion

20221216_151905.jpg

A lot of guys, like me, might just give that shaft a fingerfull of grease every few years. Work it in well. Call it good.
You went that extra mile for your rig, cool. Overkill is LandCruiser's middle name.
I'm more of the patina persuasion

View attachment 3195148
I've lived with plenty of patina over the years. This is another overkill frame-off. I might put in an espresso machine.

No crack anymore. Are there even any car guys on here? Anybody do restorations?

View attachment 3195127

That looks great, very nice work. But do you have to do restorations to be a car guy? Seems like the car guy range is wider than just restorations.

That looks great. Speak more of the process you used so that we (mainly me ‘cause I’m curious) learn from your experience. No joking, I may have one or two parts of my build that I want to look good eventually. My experiece with plating anything is from 40 years ago. All those places are either shut down or shut down. EPA is awesome and our friend……pictures of the process please.

That looks great, very nice work. But do you have to do restorations to be a car guy? Seems like the car guy range is wider than just restorations.
My car guy comment was suggesting that car guys will employ unreasonable efforts to improve or restore one's vehicle. Where one may spend more effort restoring a component rather than purchasing a new one. And also directed at a comment for which the following apology is for.

I was joking but that turned out great.
I failed to pick up on that. I usually am pretty good recognizing sarcasm. I'm sorry.

That looks great. Speak more of the process you used so that we (mainly me ‘cause I’m curious) learn from your experience. No joking, I may have one or two parts of my build that I want to look good eventually. My experiece with plating anything is from 40 years ago. All those places are either shut down or shut down. EPA is awesome and our friend……pictures of the process please.

Here is the process;

Lot of constructive tips in the comments. For a chrome-like finish, you would first copper plate and then polish the copper to a mirror finish then nickel plate it. If you just want wear/corrosion protection nickel directly to steel is fine.

Electroplating.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom