FJ60 Gas Tank Recall Update: January 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just last week got the recall done on my 87 FJ60 at Kelly Toyota in Hamburg PA. No questions asked, they even ordered a new suction tube filter (that I had to pay for). It was a no sweat deal. I have no idea what brand hose material they used but it looks all good underneath.
Did someone mention there is an exhaust recall?

I just had the recall done at City Toyota in San Francisco. We (the dealer and I) worked with toyota corporate to get the gas tank sent out. They ended up using bulk supply for all the hoses. Seat belts recall were out of stock as people have mentioned here. Toyota corporate did not want to make a comment on how many tanks are remainging but mentioned to speak with your local dealer if your looking to have this done. I’ve attached the invoice, notice they installed the fuel pick up I provided at no additional cost. One thing of note is they made me agree that if anything broke during the install I would be responsible for the charges there. This ended up not being an issue but was a leap of faith. Just picked it up and I’m happy cause it was an overall super smooth process that took about 3 weeks.

A1CF097F-6125-49DA-9CBC-BCC749DE43F3.jpeg
200FA1F0-AEF6-410F-A5BF-7D7E94F97CE3.jpeg
7F59AC5E-B533-424D-A44A-5540F2370FB2.jpeg
0397A0F3-33ED-4DF6-AA2F-54415E9805B5.jpeg

@OSS Exactly. Honouring a 40-yr old recall is pretty special. Had the tank recall done last year on my '83 USA 60 that I imported to Canada in 2020. Good thing becuase the fuel coming out was orange. There was some back and forth between Toyota Canada and Toyota USA to ge this done, but I eventually got the call.

@jzilla - it can be done.

9FC9F169-8150-41C0-B6F3-3D433A517513.JPG

The recall is not ~40 years old. It came out around 1991/2

EDIT: June 1991 to be precise.

Last edited:
Yes, I poorly worded that. Should have said recall on a 40 yr old truck.

I think car companies are required by federal law to honor recalls regardless of the age of the vehicle (???)

I think car companies are required by federal law to honor recalls regardless of the age of the vehicle (???)

Safety recalls. However they are not obligated to supply parts forever. Once parts are gone the manufacturer will offer to by the vehicle back. The owner can choose to keep it.

The rear seatbelt recall they couldn't do at the same time as they said they no longer have the $2 plastic sleeve.
Offered to buy the truck back for like $9k or something.

The rear seatbelt recall they couldn't do at the same time as they said they no longer have the $2 plastic sleeve.
Offered to buy the truck back for like $9k or something.

Perhaps. In any event I'm sure the buy-back wouldn't be anywhere near that much.

CDN dollars don't forget, so about $7 US. Maybe the offer was $7 CDN, or $5 US. Don't remember because it was silly.

The seat belt plastic clip was a bad idea. I don’t use mine because they tear the material on the top of the back seat.Not one of Toyotas best fixes. Gas tank fixes top quality.

I guess I'm screwed if my FJ60 is V8 swapped, with a modified tank to run an in-tank pump, huh? On a whim I decided to look up my VIN and the tank recall was never done on mine.

I guess I'm screwed if my FJ60 is V8 swapped, with a modified tank to run an in-tank pump, huh? On a whim I decided to look up my VIN and the tank recall was never done on mine.

I'm sure your dealership would be thrilled to give you a tank and not have to deal with installing it. I've done this a few times for trucks getting V8 swapped here.

I'm sure your dealership would be thrilled to give you a tank and not have to deal with installing it. I've done this a few times for trucks getting V8 swapped here.

Hmm, I may try that. Reading other posts in this thread (and the other threads) about hard-headed dealerships wasn't giving me hope that could be possible.

Hmm, I may try that. Reading other posts in this thread (and the other threads) about hard-headed dealerships wasn't giving me hope that could be possible.
Ditto… may be worth a try if I can get mine on the trailer!

Can't imagine any Toyota dealership handing over a gas tank without installing it. Liability concerns are what I believe would preclude that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom