LC’s return (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard it may be more utilitarian like a 70 series, they want the Sequoia to be the Flagship SUV here in the states. Fingers crossed!

I have heard it may be more utilitarian like a 70 series, they want the Sequoia to be the Flagship SUV here in the states. Fingers crossed!
Would be curious how they balance it with the 4Runner...a less luxurious, $50k (guessing price tag here) off roader that will sell all day long is basically what the 4Runner is...unless they decide to axe it?

I don't know about that. The market has shown the most of the people buying new cars don't want a utilitarian vehicle and those that do will buy a Jeep or a Bronco. I'm guessing the vast majority of people buying 4runners wouldn't cross shop a utilitarian land cruiser. Most of they people I know outside of this group who have a 4runner are 30-50 year old women that daily them and just like sitting up higher than a crossover

There’s been prior rumors based off comments from Toyota that something more along the lines of a utilitarian Jeep competitor is intended for our market. I know most of us already expected the Land Cruiser name to take a brief hiatus. It returning and not being on the heavy duty wagon platform (300 in this case) is a bit of a surprise. From the standpoint of Toyota always being frugal and just in it for the money, not stealing from the LX’s market share makes perfect sense. They sell a ton of 4Runners so stealing from that segment also doesn’t add up.

A 70 series is wishful thinking and we all know it’s too good to be true. Inserting some sort of convertible into the market to compete with Jeep makes sense, and it wouldn’t necessarily steal from the 4runner. It could meet the frugal requirements of being on the same light duty platform as a GX/Prado/4Runner. This is disappointing if you want a real Land Cruiser in the heavy duty application, but it’s cool that the smaller trucks already have a lot more aftermarket support that could be shared.

I’m optimistic, but also prepared to be disappointed.

Some more information that could potential be true. None of it sounds too far fetched.

-coming in 2024
-indeed on the GX/Prado platform
-30,000 units per year
-three trim levels
-4runner will come in 2025

Some more information that could potential be true. None of it sounds too far fetched.

a bunch of things that are not a 70 series

1670892574970.png

as much as I love my GX470.... I would really prefer a 70 series... but that will not happen and we all know that.
as much as I love my 120/150 platform .... I would rather they start selling the FJC again with updated elctronics but that wont happen.
as much as I love my Prado ..ish.... It would be a straight smack in the face of Jeep and Bronco if they made a 2door 2.5door FJ with a removable top that could take 35s and was fully locked. That would just rock and I think would really kick the competition in the balls!
But.... what we will get is a Prado (LC lite) that will be priced at like 65k will have center and rear locker and a damn third row. IF it only has 1 engine option it will be a hybrid and if that is all hopefully they will set it up to be able to be used to power all the "overland" goodies like fridges and all. We can hope that it will have 3 engine options..
1. 4banger hybrid
2. TTV6
3. Turbo Diesel of some sort like Prados the rest of the world get.... no way that will happen but we can wish.

but whatever we get i truly hope it can live up to the badge it will be under

I think the 300-series comes back in Lexus branding. At least the plastic body kit seems to be already in place. Toyota won't bring it in with Toyota badging... I think they learned their lesson with the 200 series sales numbers before it spiked with the end-of-run announcements and heritage edition.

Some kind of "70 looking but not a 70" competitor to the bronco might show up, but based on the TNGA platform with the same small block gas turbo that the next gen tacoma and 4runner will get. It will have nothing in common with a 70 series but visual cues.

Toyota won't be bringing a turbodiesel back in the U.S. The up charge and hit to their reputation with the inevitable reliability problems just wouldn't work.

After having ridden in multiple 70s, basically no one in the US would actually buy one even if you could and I don't understand the obsession. Sure its cool in concept. They're based on a really old platform so the ergonomics and ride are horrible not to mention they're VERY slow. You can't fit more than a 35" tire on a 70 without metal surgery and spending real money but in a bronco or JL 37s fit from the factory with no mods. You can easily daily a Bronco and JL and they both ride and drive very nicely considering their capabilities and would absolutely blow a 70 out of the water in every metric but lasting to the end of the earth. In countries where 70s are sold, its only to people or companies that want utility and durability over anything else. Anyone with money buys a 100, 200, or 300 because they're just better in every way for what 99.9% of people use them for day to day. Hell look at Australia, the only people buying 70s are the hardest core offroad enthusiasts and mining companies. Everyone else buys a Prado or true Land Cruiser or a Hilux or Navara if they need a pickup

I'm disappointed that a stripped down 300 isn't coming but this makes a lot of business sense on Toyota's part. Why not introduce another model of the car you're already selling over 150k of per year instead of the one selling 3k

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom