Sterring box/pump replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy Friday Everyone, (** I've used the search and read multiple posts here. Mainly looking for opinions**)

I'm getting ready to go through the steering system as my steering box has been leaking from the input seal and the pump is starting to whine. I dont really have the time to tear into it myself or I would since I like to see how things work.

What brands have people had good results with for the steering box and pump? I'll also be replacing the high pressure hose for good measure and maybe putting an inline pre-filter.

I reached out to red head steering since I've read quite a few good things here on the forum. It's about $450 with a 7-10 day turnaround if I send my box in.

I haven't gotten into any too serious wheeling so it's kinda hard to justify the 105 sector shaft upgrade ($1,100 box rebuilt including 105 sector and pitman arm) while the box is being rebuilt. I do run 315's on stock wheel at the moment so not too sure if the 105 sector upgrade is too important.

Anyone have any helpful opinions so I can get this done Soni can plan the next camping trip? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend 🤘🏻

Pic for attention 😁

20220313_105908.jpg

Happy Friday Everyone, (** I've used the search and read multiple posts here. Mainly looking for opinions**)

I'm getting ready to go through the steering system as my steering box has been leaking from the input seal and the pump is starting to whine. I dont really have the time to tear into it myself or I would since I like to see how things work.

What brands have people had good results with for the steering box and pump? I'll also be replacing the high pressure hose for good measure and maybe putting an inline pre-filter.

I reached out to red head steering since I've read quite a few good things here on the forum. It's about $450 with a 7-10 day turnaround if I send my box in.

I haven't gotten into any too serious wheeling so it's kinda hard to justify the 105 sector shaft upgrade ($1,100 box rebuilt including 105 sector and pitman arm) while the box is being rebuilt. I do run 315's on stock wheel at the moment so not too sure if the 105 sector upgrade is too important.

Anyone have any helpful opinions so I can get this done Soni can plan the next camping trip? Thanks in advance and have a great weekend 🤘🏻

Pic for attention 😁

View attachment 3171685
Either buy a used gearbox and send it in to RedHead or pull yours and rebuild it yourself. This way, your down time is minimal.

If you are a member of a local club, you can set up a Steering Gearbox Trade-N-Swap.
One member starts by "selling or donating" their used gearbox to the club. Then the club send it out to be rebuilt. Whoever needds the next one pays the club a fair price for the rebuilt unit, installs it, and then gives their used gearbox back to the club as a core charge. Then the club sends that one out to be rebuilt and the cycle continues. Keep a list of who and when.

There are members in our local club that do this with the FZJ heads.

Does the 100 series steering box have the same mounting as our 80 series box? How about fluid ones, same of diff?

Does the 100 series steering box have the same mounting as our 80 series box? How about fluid ones, same of diff?
No the 100 series have a rack& pinyon

If you’re going to rebuild the steering box then I think the 105 upgrade is worth it.
Slow speed rock crawling is not the issue with the sector shaft.
It’s hitting a curb at speed or rock or fixed object on a dirt road at speed.
JMHO

If you’re going to rebuild the steering box then I think the 105 upgrade is worth it.
Slow speed rock crawling is not the issue with the sector shaft.
It’s hitting a curb at speed or rock or fixed object on a dirt road at speed.
JMHO
It is worth it. Here’s mine at 300ish K miles. No idea what caused this, but I could see that the splines were tweaked. It probably would have sheared at some point.
1670468471408.jpeg

105 shaft on the right.

Can also buy new from Toyota comes with 105 shaft, you will also need new pitman arm to match, if you do 105 shaft in the redhead or new

Can also buy new from Toyota comes with 105 shaft, you will also need new pitman arm to match, if you do 105 shaft in the redhead or new
Really? I had no idea.
Is there a specific P/N for the new box with the 105 shaft? Guess I'd need the P/N for pitman arm as well..

Thanks

Really? I had no idea.
Is there a specific P/N for the new box with the 105 shaft? Guess I'd need the P/N for pitman arm as well..

Thanks
Just the box is around $ 1800 add the pitman arm, hardware and shipping your in for about $2400
Better to go the Redhad route

44110-60212 box
45411-60360 pitman arm
Really? I had no idea.

Thanks

Wtf...wow. redhead it is.
And don't be surprised if they turn it around in one day, rather than the quoted 4 to 7 days. I had mine back in the truck just 8 days after I shipped it out to them. (Original sector shaft)

And don't be surprised if they turn it around in one day, rather than the quoted 4 to 7 days. I had mine back in the truck just 8 days after I shipped it out to them. (Original sector shaft)
Niiice, that's awesome to hear. How's the box feel (at the steering wheel) after the rebuild?

It is worth it. Here’s mine at 300ish K miles. No idea what caused this, but I could see that the splines were tweaked. It probably would have sheared at some point.
View attachment 3187996
105 shaft on the right.
Hard front end impact.....

Niiice, that's awesome to hear. How's the box feel (at the steering wheel) after the rebuild?
Feels like brand new, no more slop!

And full disclosure, I sent it in with the Pitman arm attached. They removed it and returned the gear with the arm loose. They added match marks for me to re-attach the arm, but those marks were off...way off. I aligned the factory match marks as per the FSM and didn't have any trouble.

Last edited:
Feels like brand new, no more slop!

And full disclosure, I sent it in with the Pitman arm attached. They removed it and returned the gear with the arm loose. They added match marks for me to re-attach the arm, but those marks were off...way off. I aligned the factory match marks as per the FSM and didn't have any trouble.
That's awesome. Thanks 👍🏻. I'll make sure to check the FSM for the factory match marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom