1978 FJ40 Engine Cooling Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! Anyone with knowledge of a good thread on here on how to fix the engine cooling fan on the side of the 40? Mine is not operating and I'd love to fix her myself so she doesn't run so hot. Thank you in advance!

Marcos

Hi all! Anyone with knowledge of a good thread on here on how to fix the engine cooling fan on the side of the 40? Mine is not operating and I'd love to fix her myself so she doesn't run so hot. Thank you in advance!

Marcos
Search is your friend….this has been covered many times

Last edited:
Search "carb fan" in titles within this tech section.

I was waiting for that.......I've tried to but get so many random answers. Just saw the carb fan post! That may solve it! Thank you!

the carb cooling fan only comes on after a long run. the temp switch under the manifold needs to trigger to set the timer on the fan.
it has nothing to do with cooling the engine while driving.

I knew my wording would come under fire. I didn't know what to call it exactly. I'm at work and don't have my manual in front of me. But now I know! Carb cooling fan. I live in sunny SD and drive it on some pretty decent drives 2-3 x a week and noticed I never heard it on. It's definitely been hot enough that it should trigger it. I'm going to do some research on the previous threads and see if I can't fix the thing.

I knew my wording would come under fire. I didn't know what to call it exactly. I'm at work and don't have my manual in front of me. But now I know! Carb cooling fan. I live in sunny SD and drive it on some pretty decent drives 2-3 x a week and noticed I never heard it on. It's definitely been hot enough that it should trigger it. I'm going to do some research on the previous threads and see if I can't fix the thing.

an easy thing to see if it works would be to find the single wire going to the temp switch under the exhaust manifold.
take it and ground it to a good ground.
turn the key to on, then turn the key to off
if all is working properly the fan will turn on and run for 20-30 minutes

the temp switch when heated up is a ground which turns on the relay and timer for the fan

you are bipassing the switch to check the function of the system, but it only activtes when the key is turned to the off position, from the run position.

Hi, I just grounded my fans and bypassed the switch. Fans pull so little amps it has little effect on the battery .I’ve been running like that for over 20 years.

Those '77 - '80 cooling fan controllers (85927-60020) are troublesome. I can repair and bench test yours if you find it to be faulty.

Post 95 here:

Marcos
an easy thing to see if it works would be to find the single wire going to the temp switch under the exhaust manifold.
take it and ground it to a good ground.
turn the key to on, then turn the key to off
if all is working properly the fan will turn on and run for 20-30 minutes

the temp switch when heated up is a ground which turns on the relay and timer for the fan

you are bipassing the switch to check the function of the system, but it only activtes when the key is turned to the off position, from the run position.
Search "carb fan" in titles within this tech section.
Search is your friend….this has been covered many times

The @Engineer8000 / Mr. Russ operates Cape. Fear Electronics ,

- he specializes in ALL things Vintage TOYOTA Electrical in nature

- he is the most qualified and experienced person i have ever come across with these unique and diverse skill-sets without question .

this is way ....

Marcos

1682617216976.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom