Doing a frame swap in Kansas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know the rules or who to go to ask ????

The question is if you have a rusted out or bent frame and you want to swap frames, what do you have to do ??? cut out the old vin section?

I wouldn’t ask the question. Use as much of the new frame as you think is necessary to properly fix the old one while retaining the VIN.

KS does check the frame for a Vin, it the car was titled out of state.
Crazy, I thought MO inspections were a PITA. MO doesn't even look at the vehicle, all they care about is the paperwork and the $$$.

Things have likely changed in KS but 20 some years ago, I bought a FJ60 from NM that had a Chevy 350 in it with headers and no cats. Went to highway patrol inspection place and the inspector asked to look under the hood and said “so it’s got a V8?” I thought, damn, I’m busted but just replied “yes”. She then signed the inspection form and handed to me.

MO does an ID OD inspection when bringing in an out of state vehicle.. ID OD can be done at an inspection station tho.

So when I registered my 100 here after moving from NV they did not do a frame VIN inspection. Just look at the VIN in the glass, popped the hood and then checked the door frame and that was the extent. Nothing other than that? This was at the inspection station in Olathe down from the DMV registration for JoCo.

Just talked with the KS Highway Patrol guy on this, and he said for frame swap there is nothing to do. He said the vin on the frame is typically different -- I know Toyota is typically the same, so I guess he is saying on Non-Toyota stuff they are typically different.

Just talked with the KS Highway Patrol guy on this, and he said for frame swap there is nothing to do. He said the vin on the frame is typically different -- I know Toyota is typically the same, so I guess he is saying on Non-Toyota stuff they are typically different.
Many years ago when I did my old Chevrolet, they did check the VIN on the frame, however, I had already told them it was custom and the frame VIN would not match the cab VIN. This was on a 69 Chevy.

It went through just fine. They had a hard time because the VIN wasn't 16 characters at that time (35 years ago).

Just smear a bunch of grease and dirt on it and tell them it doesn't have it and they won't know any different on these old trucks......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom